(Topic ID: 42324)

HELP PLEASE- Star Wars Data East Lighting Issue...

By mo_twister

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by coz6
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-03-04_20.28.35.jpg

#1 11 years ago

Hello... I have a DE Star Wars in good condition, except recently the insert lighting will not come on. Everything else works, including general illumination and backbox lighting. I figured since it's just the inserts that won't come on that it must be a bad fuse or something, but none of the fuses appear to be blown. Does this mean it's just a bad wire or connection somewhere? I'm fairly new to the hobby, and I really don't know what else to check. I would love to fix it myself, but I need a little guidance. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2013-03-04_20.28.35.jpg2013-03-04_20.28.35.jpg

#2 11 years ago

The first rule in pinball is don't trust your eyes with fuses... Do you have a multimeter? If not step one go purchase one. If I am reading it right the fuse would be F4 8amp slow blow, if your making a stop to radio shack for the Multi Meter pick up a 4 pack, you might need them. Then the hope is a simple fuse replace does the trick and it does not blow again.

#3 11 years ago

Also, always check fuses by removing them from game. Testing them will in the socket can sometimes give a false positive.

#4 11 years ago

Great tips guys... I will start with that and post again if i can't figure it out. Thank you.

#5 11 years ago

Ok, the fuse tested good with the multimeter... now i'm back to wondering what the problem could be... any ideas?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 11 years ago

I can only give basic advice - but the next thing I would check would be the connector, is it plugged in? you can get a manual at www.ipdb.org - it will show you the connector.

#7 11 years ago

I'd say check all fuses (while you are at it, make sure they have the correct value). Also, check all connectors and reseat them all. Do any of the connectors look brown or black? If so they are burned and need replacing.

#8 11 years ago

You checked the fuse - now you need to check the voltage coming out of BR1 in the backbox and the connections to the large 30Kmfd cap as well. You should be getting 18v at the positive terminal of the cap and to CN1 connector it feeds to.

viperrwk

#9 11 years ago

Wow, I didn't expect so many helpful responses... thanks a lot for helping someone who is so new to all of this. Yes, 1 or 2 of the connectors looks burned (dark brown/black). What is the best way to go about replacing connectors, and what's the best place to find the right replacement? Would i just be chopping the old connector and crimping a new one on in it's place? Thanks again everyone.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from mo_twister:

Would i just be chopping the old connector and crimping a new one on in it's place?

Essentially, yes.

Can you post a picture of the burned connectors?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from mo_twister:

Wow, I didn't expect so many helpful responses... thanks a lot for helping someone who is so new to all of this. Yes, 1 or 2 of the connectors looks burned (dark brown/black). What is the best way to go about replacing connectors, and what's the best place to find the right replacement? Would i just be chopping the old connector and crimping a new one on in it's place? Thanks again everyone.

Good practice is to replace both the male and female components on any burnt connector. Parts are easy to find. www.marco.com has whatever size connector you need http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=connector. I would suggest getting the correct punching tool while your at it. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-IDC (just make sure you select the correct size you need) they have two

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-please-star-wars-data-east-lighting-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.