(Topic ID: 234403)

Help play field lifting

By V8haha

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    6AE6D988-8C80-4BB9-88CC-27AC29D9C5FE (resized).jpeg
    9A96B6BD-1A4B-4E80-A94B-E950D81A6474 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

I have an extremely nice example of TMNT (well it was before this)

I had it transported from Michigan to CO and looks like there must has been some moisture under the play field that froze and cause the play field to crack and lift. (See photos)

Anyone have some suggestion on how to fix this from getting any worse?

6AE6D988-8C80-4BB9-88CC-27AC29D9C5FE (resized).jpeg6AE6D988-8C80-4BB9-88CC-27AC29D9C5FE (resized).jpeg9A96B6BD-1A4B-4E80-A94B-E950D81A6474 (resized).jpeg9A96B6BD-1A4B-4E80-A94B-E950D81A6474 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

ouch. Someone's gotta have a good idea what to do

#3 5 years ago

Bump any ideas?

#4 5 years ago

It looks like a very clean break. It might look fine if you just glue the paint back flap back down. Use a syringe to squirt a bit of glue directly under the flap. Don't use too much as it will flow up and out of the crack.

#5 5 years ago

Agreed, a water thin glue applied with a syringe should work nicely. As you apply weight, some glue will undoubtedly bubble to the edge, have a paper towel ready to wick away the excess, do not wipe it or you will get residue stuck everywhere and you will need to use a 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth it out.

#6 5 years ago

I would do a little glue underneath and then once it dries I'd put a square of mylar over it.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks guys! I’ll try the syringe today

#8 5 years ago

Obvious but strongly recommend making sure you have a clear path and correct size clamp to compress this repair after glueing! Wax paper and a good block to be certain your repair is the least obvious as you only get one chance to fix this. Large low cost C-Clamps are available from Harbor Freight. Good Luck!!

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

clamp to compress this repair after glueing! Wax paper and a good block to be certain your repair

vid1900 describes this at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration#post-551406

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-play-field-lifting- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.