New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 210561)

Help! Pinbot automatically tilts

By chaskett

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Billc479
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DB0AF2EC-2720-4F21-97F3-A1DECF3D7C90 (resized).jpeg
C75D23C0-F624-4FF0-A2AD-84AB2B469255 (resized).jpeg
C2703A77-820F-4055-A40E-716312BD118B (resized).jpeg
20180222_123247 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

In January I brought home a Pinbot and have since torn down the playfield and cleaned everything above. This is my 3rd game to tear down and tinker with, so I'm not a complete newb, but I'm still cutting my teeth.

One of the fist things I did when I got the game was remove the plumb bob, remove the tilt ball, disabled the coin mech tilt switch, and disabled the under playfield tilt switch. I know... I know... I know... but I like to be able to nudge.... Are there any other tilt switches on Pinbot? I don't see any others and nothing seems to be shorting or making contact with these switches.

Tuesday night I got everything put back together and played several games, no problem, though I had to adjust the 100,000 vortex switch, Advance X ramp arm so it wouldn't stick, and adjust a pop bumper switch that wasn't connecting. Wednesday everything was swell. Played probably 20 games throughout the day with no issue. Then last night in the middle of a ball I got a random tilt. This happened randomly 2 times before I called it a night. Today I went to start a game and as soon as I hit start, with the ball in the trough.... TILT! I turned it off and back on started a game, it kicked out the ball, pull the plunger and ... TILT! Ball drains and.... TILT! Turn off. Manually kick out ball to plunger. Turn on. Start game. Ball 1 plays fine, drains, and.... TILT! Could there be something wrong with the drain outhole?

Any ideas what to do for system 11 games? If its something more than adjusting a switch or soldering something simple, I am out of my element. I've read about capacitors going bad, bad dip switches, etc. If that's the case, I'll have to take the machine to someone, but I hope you all might give me some simple suggestions that may work.

#2 2 years ago

I ALWAYS suspect the MPU board on these old sys 11 games with tilt issues. Carefully check below the battery holder for any hint of green. You could well have some battery corrosion that has messed up your switch matrix. If it's bad (or even if it isn't) you might consider replacing the board if that's the case, they have been remanufactured. I went through a Fire! recently with just this issue.

#3 2 years ago

I would verify the switch matrix is working properly before digging into the board. Also, not knowing what you mean by 'disabled... tilt switches' can you put them back as before to ensure this didnt cause an issue? I move my games more than most when I play and never needed to remove parts or disable switches

Did you see this thread? similar issue

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-randomly-tilting-all-data-lost

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

I would verify the switch matrix is working properly before digging into the board. Also, not knowing what you mean by 'disabled... tilt switches' can you put them back as before to ensure this didnt cause an issue? I move my games more than most when I play and never needed to remove parts or disable switches
Did you see this thread? similar issue
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-randomly-tilting-all-data-lost

Disabled = bent leaf switches so they won't set off the tilt.

Is there a guide or video available to show me how to "verify the switch matrix"?

I swear i searched "tilt" and "pinbot" and yielded no search results. Thanks for the link!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from chaskett:

Disabled = bent leaf switches so they won't set off the tilt.

Make sure you don't have a leaf switch touching ground (or even near ground, that could touch with vibration). That will wreak havoc with the switch matrix.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Carefully check below the battery holder for any hint of green. You could well have some battery corrosion that has messed up your switch matrix.

+1 on this.

#6 2 years ago

Well i messed with the under-playfield tilt switch weight, which was touching the metal tab behind the leaf switch. So far, that seems to have resolved the issue. Sorry to be so dense.
I did notice that the ground at the coin door hinge is really frayed. Is this an issue? Can i just clean, overlap, and electrical tape the braid back together?

20180222_123247 (resized).jpg

#7 2 years ago

See if there is enough slack to cut 1.5" off the end and reattach. In theory any connection will work but I would rather have it solidly attached

2 years later
#8 6 months ago

chaskett I’m have the same issue all of a sudden?! Tilt switches seem ok? Time to look at cpu board?

#9 6 months ago
Quoted from Croppie1Kenobi:

chaskett I’m have the same issue all of a sudden?! Tilt switches seem ok? Time to look at cpu board?

Yes. Also, check your tilt bob to make sure something didn't push up against it (manual, coin box, etc)

#10 6 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Yes. Also, check your tilt bob to make sure something didn't push up against it (manual, coin box, etc)

Will do thanks.

#11 6 months ago
Quoted from Croppie1Kenobi:

Any progress?

2 weeks later
#12 6 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Any progress?

Tearing my hair out trying to find a short. When the top drop target is activated it slam tilts.

#13 6 months ago

Croppie
If the top target has a capacitor and/or resistor, lift one leg and see if the problem clears.

#14 6 months ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Croppie
If the top target has a capacitor and/or resistor, lift one leg and see if the problem clears.

No joy. Diodes check ok.

C2703A77-820F-4055-A40E-716312BD118B (resized).jpeg
#15 6 months ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Croppie

There is a cap and resistor on the right sling which seems to cause phantom problems as well

#16 6 months ago

Are they in the same switch column or row? If so, check all the diodes/caps for that row/column.

#17 6 months ago

Have you gone into switch test mode and checked the matrix? Look at the switch matrix chart in the manual and make sure everything checks out. I had this happen once a long time ago. Turned out to be a blown transistor. Never did figure out what caused it to blow. Replaced the transistor and all was well.

#18 6 months ago

In the picture, the lowest drop target switch looks like shorted by the diode. Might be just the photo angle though.

Often the spontaneous tilts happen because some switch has a shorted diode. This can cause phantom switch matrix hits. I have had this problem on Dracula and Indiana Jones. A switch on playfield got hit by ball, which bent the diode so it leaned against the switch terminal and shorted. So look at all playfield switches and check that diodes are clear from switch terminals.

#19 6 months ago

What is this biz? These are not connected to anything? Not used in some games?

C75D23C0-F624-4FF0-A2AD-84AB2B469255 (resized).jpeg
#20 5 months ago

This guy is definitely the problem. Every time it is hit it tilts. Game won’t come out of tilt until target is manually pushed back up. Changed diode even though it tested ok. Even changed out Microswitch. So lost please help

DB0AF2EC-2720-4F21-97F3-A1DECF3D7C90 (resized).jpeg
#21 5 months ago

As mentioned, test all the diodes in the affected column and row associated with that drop target.

Looking at the switch matrix, two of the game tilts are associated with the same row that drop target is in.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Sale Pending!
Bethlehem, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside