(Topic ID: 107418)

Help! Persistant blown fuse in RFM

By BestShot31

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

The RFM I just picked up keeps blowing one particular fuse, the F109.

The 5x20 4 amp fast blow fuse is frustrating me to no end. I cannot see anything else on the main board to be suspicious looking.

Once the fuse is replaced and the game is turned on, the diagnostics do not show the blown fuse. However, after playing a couple of balls, I enter into the diagnostic mode only to find out that the F109 fuse is blown again.

Help! Does anyone have an answer, or what I should be looking for? I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 9 years ago

When my RFM was blowing a fuse, it would seem to happen right upon start up of the machine. I checked for shorts, and then sent the board out. I just looked for the email where they told me what they replaced on the board but unfortunately I can't find it. They fixed the problem though.

Whichever fuse I was blowing was affected half of the computer controlled lamps. The game still seemed to play fine. But it was so nice to get it back to normal. Sorry I don't have more helpful and specific info for you though :/

#3 9 years ago

Well, interesting that you mentioned the lamps. Since replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs, the diagnostic menu states that all the lamps have an issue. That's probably not related, as it's detecting a load issue rather than an error.

I would like to avoid taking out the main board, but I do not think I have a choice.

I believe the F109 bulb does affect lamps, but I could only find one, the "Attack from Mars" one, a 12 volt flasher lamp.

#4 9 years ago

Replace the fuse, pull connectors J101 and J102 from the power driver board and then turn on the machine. If the fuse doesn't blow, the problem is a short at one of the flashers on the playfield.

If it does blow, the problem is on your board. I'd look at tracking down what is probably a bad diode at D41, D42, D43 or D44 and replace as necessary. If you can't do the work, contact Borygard/Rob Anthony at http://www.lockwhenlit.com. He's the known P2K guru!

#5 9 years ago

All the lamps will show bad after replacing them with Leds on pin 2000. Leds dont draw enough current so the cpu thinks they are out.

If you just replaced them and a fuse is blowing check under your playfield that no lamp wires are touching coils or switches. Maybe you bent a socket back to put in a bulb and its hitting a coil or flasher wire. Also possible that a flasher socket is shorted.

Also that no wires from coils or switches or lamps broke off and are touching something they shouldnt.
Common after moving things/wires around to change lamps. Specially if it was fine before.

#6 9 years ago

I just went through all the flashers, except for the center "Attack from Mars" flasher, each was working.
I also went through all the bulb sockets and found no touching wires.
Fuse still get blown after turning on and starting a game.

I will now pull the two power board connectors, J101 and J102.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-persistant-blown-fuse-in-rfm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.