(Topic ID: 207816)

Help or advice for a school pinball project

By MarkG

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball 1 (resized).jpg
    Wiring diagram v2.pdf (PDF preview)
    Power Filter Board.pdf (PDF preview)
    Wiring diagram.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

I'm working remotely with a class that wants to build a simple pinball machine. Nothing fancy, just a working pair of flippers to start. There is apparently little to no local pinball or electrical expertise so I've offered to help them online. They have a limited budget and would be further limited to buying parts from established companies rather than individuals or auctions. Donations would probably be an option too.
    So given those constraints, I'd like to compile a parts list and assembly instructions so that someone unfamiliar with pinball could order and install the parts into the cabinet they're building.
    Since I'm much more familiar with EM games, I'm inclined to gather parts and drawings from a 70s Gottlieb or Williams parts catalog. I'd likely recommend AC solenoids so they could use just a transformer instead of a DC power supply. (Possibly a smaller 24v transformer too rather than a standard game transformer). My intention would be to identify the lowest cost, and most readily available parts to assemble a complete working pair of flippers.
    So would late model EM parts be a good solution, or are there solid state parts I should consider instead? Any other suggestions to simplify the process for the class?
    Thanks,
    /Mark

Adding a bridge rectifier for newer DC recruiters is only one extra part, not a big deal.

Although used parts can be great, if you any guarantee a supply I'd go with something that at least can be bought new, even if it's more expensive. WPC and classic Stern mechs can be bought brand new and fully assembled

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

Might be worth it if DC solenoids are cheaper. Are they?

Same price.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

This is one of the cheaper assemblies I've found:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=172
    I don't know much about the coil options, but I assume they're are all DC coils. (?) I wonder if they can be used with AC if you clip the diodes off. If the coil stops are DC specific the flippers might buzz.

It'd work, but I'll be pretty weak.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

It looks like the complete flipper assembly comes with a playfield bushing. Is that right?
    - The flipper leaf switches look like they're for high current, correct?

Bushing included. I would confirm switch with Terry since it doesn't say.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-or-advice-for-a-school-pinball-project?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.