Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NunjoBiznezz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

My Space Invaders sat awhile un-played and the other day I fired it up and it had some very odd problems after starting a game. I verified that the problem is with the MPU by switching ROMs and putting the board in my Paragon, it does the same thing, this:

1. Boots with 7 flashes, all looks normal but displays have whacky numbers (might be due to bad settings in 5101 from game switch)
2. Start a game, ball is kicked into shooter lane but machine is flashing lamps.
3. Game plays, scores points, sounds work but lamps still flashing.
3. Pops and slings work for a bit, then go dead.

I've swapped out CPU, both PIAs, RAM and 5101, no change in behavior.
Voltage at TP1 = 5.2v, TP2 = 14v, TP3 = 22v, all nominal

Someone please save me a month of debugging and give me clues on where to look, Thanks in advance!

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Vector:

If the problem remains, then it's likely in the MPU.

I think it's safe to say it's the MPU, I've already moved it to a different machine. Looks like maybe the lamp address/data lines might be stuck on - the output of U10 PIA, but I don't see anything on the MPU that is common to those lines, so looking now at the inputs from the CPU to the U10 PIA.

#5 8 years ago

Bump, help a brother out....

Stared at the schematics for an hour, no buffer chips on the address lines, tending to think it might be U14 or U18 but I really do not see what on the MPU would cause all lamps to strobe.

#6 8 years ago

Bump - one more cry for help, any input appreciated.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks. I'll run further tests before taking a hammer to the MPU.

This is probably not what I thought initially, I ran downstairs and fired it up again, the game is starting, but the playfield lamps are being strobed as if the machine is still in attract mode. The game scores, bumpers work (for a while), and it plays normally except for the lamps, then at some point dies.

Would it make sense that an address line to the ROMs might be tweaked? Like perhaps it's fetching and running the attract mode instead of game code? Not sure if that is the case if scoring would work.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Check the zero crossing timer. They game may still boot because it detects one zero cross, but the timing of it could be wrong. Zero crossing pulses 120 times a second. Probably need a scope to make sure the pulses look good. Check the 21v test point, if wrong. replace R17 and R113 with half watt 2k resistors.

Thanks, I looked at the signal, it ran from 120 to 127Hz, looked good, I replaced U14, R16 and R113 just for kicks but it's still off the rails. Not sure where to go from here. I didn't replace R17, might just go do that for lack of other ideas.

Thanks for the input.

#12 8 years ago

Based on Internet searches, heading towards U15 and U16 to see if the clock circuit is hosed. Any advice on how to debug that circuit? Would it cause slightly random behavior?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 90.00
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NunjoBiznezz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-odd-bally-35-problem?tu=NunjoBiznezz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.