• Latest reply 2 years ago by Crispin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5.png
#1 2 years ago

I'm trying to help out a friend who has a working BoP (original, not 2.0) but there is no sound. Like NO sound at all.

I have a 2.0, so I have spare boards that I pulled from my game years ago. After checking connections, I swapped the sound board, the cpu board, and the ribbon cable that goes between these 2 boards. Still nothing. Where do I go from here? I have a spare speaker panel. Should I swap that or is there something else to check?

In case it matters, the game has a Pinball Pro sub installed in the game, but I don't know why that would change anything.

Please help with where to start.

THANKS!

#2 2 years ago

Does anyone have any insights on where I should start troubleshooting this?

#3 2 years ago

I can't confirm this 100% because I see nowhere in the manual how the speakers are wired , but I'm pretty sure it is also wired the same way as the games in the next WPC board since the audio circuit is identical, but if the sub woofer is unplugged, it will cut sound in all speakers. The 2 speakers in the cabinet are paralleled but in series with the sub woofer. It could be as simple as a disconnected or broken wire to one of the speakers, a broken speaker itself (if the coil of the sub is broken you lose sound every where).

Checking all the voltages and fuses related to the sound board is always the first step if it's not a loose wire.

If all the voltages are there, then you can touch the pins of the amplifier U1 on the sound board (pin 1) and listen for a hum, which would indicated the amplifier itself is good. Beyond that you might need a logic probe with audio or an oscilloscope to test the board further.. U5 x9503 is known to fail too (its the volume control chip) measure its output at pin 5 can tell you if it's working properly.

5.png5.png
#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Roamin:

I can't confirm this 100% because I see nowhere in the manual how the speakers are wired , but I'm pretty sure it is also wired the same way as the games in the next WPC board since the audio circuit is identical, but if the sub woofer is unplugged, it will cut sound in all speakers. The 2 speakers in the cabinet are paralleled but in series with the sub woofer. It could be as simple as a disconnected or broken wire to one of the speakers, a broken speaker itself (if the coil of the sub is broken you lose sound every where).

This is correct. Double check the cabinet speaker wires if you haven't already.

1 month later
#5 2 years ago

OK guys, I'm completely stumped. Based on the feedback, I completely assumed that the cabinet speaker was the issue. I tested with 2 known working speakers and it did not restore the sound. Does it need to be the right Ohms or whatever to still produce any sound from the machine? I tested continuity at various points and even from one connector on the sound board to the other connector on the sound board. It tested positive continuity all around.

I can't see how it's a bad chip since I have tried 2 entirely different sound boards.

In total, I have swapped the sound board, cpu board, and ribbon cable between them - and confirmed continuity along the speaker/sub wiring. I even swapped in a spare BoP speaker panel assembly, just because. Nothing.

I'm at a complete loss.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

#6 2 years ago

Check the high voltage output for the displays. I have a Bally 6803 Heavy Metal Meltdown that had no sound. After confirming everything was good in the sound circuit I went to double check all voltages at their test points. I had 190V going out to the displays, I dialed it back to 170V and my sound started working. I know they're 2 totally different systems but it's worth a try.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 9.95
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-no-sound-in-bride-of-pinbot?hl=roamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.