Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Da-Shaker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail (resized).jpeg
    thumbnail-1 (resized).jpeg
    thumbnail-2 (resized).jpeg
    thumbnail-3 (resized).jpeg
    1568252081684698452879 (resized).jpg
    15682520531522142443815 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Anyone help me. Just got a new AFM Chicago Gaming and it won't boot up or start. I'm used to Stern

15682520531522142443815 (resized).jpg15682520531522142443815 (resized).jpg1568252081684698452879 (resized).jpg1568252081684698452879 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

Open the back box and check all your connections , the one going to the display both ends . This problem is likely a loose connector.

#3 4 years ago

Yes, did that and it worked!!! Thank You. Now it's not giving me multi balls when awarded. Only 1 ball plays

#4 4 years ago

During multi ball, it only gives 1 ball at a time.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

During multi ball, it only gives 1 ball at a time.

Please check the plunger at the end of the ball trough that kicks the ball up to the shooter lane. If it's sticking up a tiny bit too high, it won't let the balls roll into position. Opposite the coil side are four screws that hold the coil/plunger/bracket to the end of the ball trough. You can loosen them to move the whole thing up or down. Don't go too high to too low. Just a tiny bit down should do it.

LTG : )

#7 4 years ago

I bumped before LTG's advice. I will try this tomorrow. Had to leave the location. Thank you for your help.

#8 4 years ago

I fixed the multi ball, it was the grommet under the plunger.

However now it won't boot again. I've pushed everything in on the dmd and back box, but no luck. Can some take a pic of the plug or further explain what is causing this.

Thanks in advanced

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I've pushed everything in on the dmd and back box,

Don't just push in. Unplug and then push back in tight, to reseat them.

#10 4 years ago

I unplugged them and plugged them back in with no change. The big black plug on DMD (plugs into silver box) has 1 stripped screw, but the plug seems secure. The small wires in the top middle of the DMD seem loose and fragile. There is also a red light showing in the back box main cpu. I'm not sure if this is normal. After an hour, I did get the machine to work again, but I'm afraid it's temporary. Additionally, I can't get the bill collector to work. I use this model on all my Sterns. Is there a setting.

Thanks again for your time.

J.R.

thumbnail (resized).jpegthumbnail (resized).jpegthumbnail-1 (resized).jpegthumbnail-1 (resized).jpegthumbnail-2 (resized).jpegthumbnail-2 (resized).jpegthumbnail-3 (resized).jpegthumbnail-3 (resized).jpeg
    #11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I can't get the bill collector to work.

You need a 12 volt DC one. Only settings would be on the bill validator.

#12 4 years ago

Stern has a bill validator setting on/off. I only saw a left / right / middle bill validator setting on AFM (middle is standard setting). So, are you saying this validator won't work and isn't 12v DC? I wasn't able to check, because it's not with me.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Stern has a bill validator setting on/off.

That just displays the message on the DMD. Doesn't have any effect on the bill validator.

Quoted from Da-Shaker:

So, are you saying this validator won't work?

If it's 110 VAC, no, it won't work. If it's 12 VDC, yes it will. Then it comes down to the settings/switches on the bill validator.

#14 4 years ago

Those 12v bill acceptors are expensive. I believe mine is probably 110v. I knew there would be some growing pains, but geees. Now I need to get it to boot up more than 50% of the time. I have a ticket created at Chicago Gaming, but they're closed during the weekend.
    Thank you!

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I believe mine is probably 110v.

Get one of these :

ebay.com link: Bill Validator Harness Cable WEL RM012 AC 117V

Plug into service outlet, hook two wires to a coin switch.

Use your bill acceptor.

#16 4 years ago

I like your idea very much. So this will change the bill acceptors that I have to 12v? Also, which 2 wires? It looks like it comes with 6 wires and a 9 pin.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

So this will change the bill acceptors that I have to 12v?

NO. It allows you to use a 110 VAC one in your game. With this harness you aren't using the game's 9 pin connector. You plug your bill validator into this harness' 9 pin connector.

Perfect. Your coin switch has two wires soldered to it. One wire from the harness solders onto one wire on the coin switch and the other wire on the harness solders onto the other wire on the coin switch.

#19 4 years ago

So I found that if I tap on the silver box behind the dmd, I can get the machine to boot up. I guess there is something loose inside. I wonder if I should just ask for a new one or attempt to fix it.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

NO. It allows you to use a 110 VAC one in your game. With this harness you aren't using the game's 9 pin connector. You plug your bill validator into this harness' 9 pin connector.

Does it matter which wire? Is there a positive and ground or something?

Perfect. Your coin switch has two wires soldered to it. One wire from the harness solders onto one wire on the coin switch and the other wire on the harness solders onto the other wire on the coin switch.

#21 4 years ago

Does it matter which wire is soldered to the coin mech?

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Does it matter which wire is soldered to the coin mech?

No. Just solder one wire to one already on the coin switch and the other wire to the other wire already soldered on the coin switch.

#23 4 years ago

Cool,
    Thank you, you saved me 300 bucks.

Just ordered

#24 4 years ago

Update on the machine not booting

I went back to the theater tonight. Chicago Gaming told me to reset the plugs. I tried that last night and tonight and it didn't work. I told them that I thought it was the silver box behind dmd and they said it wouldn't cause it. Tonight I heard a rattle in the silver box, so I took it apart and found a circuit board unscrewed and sitting on another board shorting out. I fixed the boards, but the machine only works if I push on one. So I think it needs a new circuit board. I'll talk to the company tomorrow and see how fast they can ship it.

#25 4 years ago

Confirmed, dmd circuit board is bad

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-new-attack-from-mars-won-t-boot-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.