Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by HowardR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gold Rush reset (resized).JPG
    #1 1 year ago

I'm restoring a Gold Rush and everything works fine except the reset circuit. If you have played a 1 player game and start up another one, the motor only turns 1/2 rotation causing the score drums to pulse 5 times. Therefore, the score is not completely reset, yet the ball is kicked out and the game is in "game mode". If you have played multi-player games, you get the same result. Except, if any of the score reels on player 2 is at "4" or lower, the score motor completes its full rotation, there are 10 pulses and all the score reels for all players reset correctly. Williams reset circuits are pretty simple but this has me stumped. I've gone through the reset relay, the score reset relays, the game over relay, and coin relay. All the switches are cleaned and working properly. I've also cleaned all of the jones plugs. Does anyone have any ideas that might help? Thanks, Dennis.

#2 1 year ago

Are any of the "Drum Unit Zero Pos. Bk. Switches" opening too soon? Is the Reset Relay relaxing early?

Gold Rush reset (resized).JPGGold Rush reset (resized).JPG
    #3 1 year ago

I suspect that the "Drum Unit Zero Pos. Bk. Switches" are in parallel, making the Reset relay self locking switch to the right of paulace 's highlight suspect.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks, Howard.

#5 1 year ago

None of the Drum Unit Zero Switches are opening early. The Reset Relay drops out when the score motor completes 1/2 rotation and then stops, which in turn causes the score reset relays to quit pulsing. Still stumped.

#6 1 year ago

Except when player 2's score reels are at 4 or lower - In that case, the reset relay must stay engaged and the score motor continues for another cycle, right?

So it's acting like it only recognizes the D.U. zero pos. bk. switches being closed for player 2. Otherwise, it acts like those switches on the other 3 players reels are already open, even if they're not at zero. Don't know what that means yet.

I wonder if you start a game so that player 1's score is not zero, and then measure the resistance across the D.U. zero pos. bk. switches - from the common Blu-Br wire to the vertical wire on the left (is it yellow?) - what do you read. I would think since some of the D.U.'s are not at zero, you would read a dead short. But do you?

#7 1 year ago

Your first two paragraphs are correct. That's what's going on. Okay, I started a one player game so that all four score reels reset to "6" or "7" and stopped, then it kicked the ball out and went into game mode. I checked the "zero" switches on all four drum units with my meter and they all registered a dead short. What could cause that?

#8 1 year ago

Well, they should read a short because they aren't at zero. The switches should be closed unless the drum units actually read zero. If they're all wired in parallel and any of the drum units are not at zero, you should read a short across those switches.

But what's curious is that the score motor is dropping out early, presumably because the reset relay is relaxing as you said in post #5. So somehow, the reset relay is losing its connection to the yellow wire. Except when player 2 has a low score....which is weird.

That Reset Relay switch between the relay and those zero switches is working as it should? If that were the problem, though, I don't know why player 2's score would have any affect on it.

Nothing's coming to mind at the moment - maybe Howard has an idea?

#9 1 year ago

The Reset Relay switch is working properly. Thanks for the suggestions. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from pingeezer:

If you have any other ideas please let me know

Quoted from paulace:

Is the Reset Relay relaxing early?

#11 1 year ago

I would check the blue-brown wire jones plug connection in the backbox. A weak connection could be what’s letting the reset relay drop out early.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-williams-gold-rush?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.