• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Steve_PBH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi,

I need some ideas on how to troubleshoot a Comet machine whose solenoids do not work.

Background: This machine only starts in Accounting Mode. When it was playable, we had to deal with the fact it only started in "04" mode. It was still this way when we started having problems. Recently, as we were playing the machine one of the Bumpers Solenoids actually started smoking and turned black. We replaced the solenoid with a new one but none of the solenoids work now. I have a multimeter and was able to check the pins on the Power Supply board and they all reported about 5V. We've also changed out all of the fuses, looked for any obvious loose wires, checked wire connectors, etc. We also looked for any voltage readings on many of the solenoids and the readings are 0.

We've gone through the diagnostics (CPU board says it's fine) and everything seems fine except the Solenoids.

When we start the machine, we can add credits, but the ball kicker does not kick the ball out. The flippers work randomly, but most of the time they do not.

I'm searching for ideas on how to troubleshoot this logically, correctly, etc. Any help is appreciated.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for taking an interest in the problems I'm having with Comet. I'd be lost without help.

I tested the connector as suggested. The readings were really low, or almost nothing. (.18-.2ish) on 6,7,8 to 3.

Even though I read the transistor part of the discussion, I have not done anything else. I thought I better wait for the next instructions first,

I really appreciate the help. Thanks, again.

#7 6 years ago

Today's Update:

I tested both sides of the F2 fuse and the Ground on 3J3. The left side gave me no readings, and the right test showed voltage. I then pulled the F2 fuse and did a quick continuity test on it, and the fuse was bad. I placed a new 2.5A S.B. (I tested it first, and it was good) in the fuse clips and fired up the machine. The solenoids did not work. So I tested the F2 Fuse Clips again with 3J3 and only the right side had power. I pulled the fuse and it tested bad.

So in short, the fuse did not last 10 seconds when put into the machine.

What should I do for a next step.

Thanks again, for your help.

#9 6 years ago

Well, I have 3 2.5A SB fuses left to burn out before I have to get more.

The Pop that burned out was the Upper Jet-Bumper. In the manual, that is #19. They System-9 Solenoid Table shows the Drive Trans as Q79 (a TIP122 which looks like it is in the right upper corner of the CPU board).

Does this seem correct?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Steve_PBH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-williams-comet-solenoids-not-working?tu=Steve_PBH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.