HELP NEEDED? Who can rescue all data from a 16GB USB stick?

(Topic ID: 180891)

HELP NEEDED? Who can rescue all data from a 16GB USB stick?

By german-pinball

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I have a really great problem with a VERBATIM 16GB USB stick. Windows 7 detects the stick and I can see als folders, but when I double click a folders, the stick disconnects.

I tried nearly everything (chkdsk, PC Inspector file recovery and more), but I have no access to my very important data.

I really need professional help - please rescue the last 5 years of my life.

Hope, that anybody can rescue me.

Thanks in advance.

Ingo

#2 1 year ago

I've used this free software before to recover files from a USB stick. Don't know if it'll help in your situation though...

http://www.easeus.com/resource/drive/usb-flash-drive.htm

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Snux:

I've used this free software before to recover files from a USB stick. Don't know if it'll help in your situation though...
    http://www.easeus.com/resource/drive/usb-flash-drive.htm

Thanks mate. I just bought the license for that software and will try.

But I think, it is a hardware problem, I will try now to solder an USB-cable directly to the connector as shown here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-a-USB-Flash-Drive

#4 1 year ago

Although it probably won't help you now, never use a flash drive as your primary storage medium. Flash drives are good for storing backups or for transferring files, but they simply get lost, damaged, or fail too often to be the only place to store your files.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Although it probably won't help you now, never use a flash drive as your primary storage medium. Flash drives are good for storing backups or for transferring files, but they simply get lost, damaged, or fail too often to be the only place to store your files.

How true that is - now I know and never ever will do that again.

All layouts of my pcbs are lost, WTF - a few years of work simply gone.

Hope, the pcb manufactures stored at least the Gerber-Files

Could get a few files back with PartitionGuru (bought the license a few hours ago).

When I am at home, I will open the stick and solder an USB cable to the stick and look, if the connector is the problem ....

#6 1 year ago

Unfortunately it was not the connector, so the ugly fight goes on ....

#7 1 year ago

Well... since you said PCB files...
    I'm wondering if you can find a working exact copy and "desolder" the Flash chip and move it to the "good"/"new" part.
    That is assuming the flash isn't built into the controller.

#8 1 year ago

Drive Savers. They aren't cheap, but they are really good at data recovery.

#9 1 year ago

I generally use ddrescue. You read all of the data off into either an image or another drive, then attempt repairs on the copy. Hard to say if it will help in your case though.

#10 1 year ago

have you tried it in something that is running a different operating system? Different version of windows? Just 2 thoughts.

#11 1 year ago

I have a certification in digital forensics. Download and install FTK Imager:

http://accessdata-ftk-imager.software.informer.com/download/?ca1c4cf

Then plug in the drive and follow this guide to capture an image.

https://digital-forensics.sans.org/blog/2009/06/18/forensics-101-acquiring-an-image-with-ftk-imager

Let me know if this is successful. If it is, PM me and we'll attempt data recovery.

#12 1 year ago

@all: thanks for the hints - tried with windows 7 and 10, always teh same ...

Quoted from Crash:

I have a certification in digital forensics. Download and install FTK Imager:
    http://accessdata-ftk-imager.software.informer.com/download/?ca1c4cf
    Then plug in the drive and follow this guide to capture an image.
    https://digital-forensics.sans.org/blog/2009/06/18/forensics-101-acquiring-an-image-with-ftk-imager
    Let me know if this is successful. If it is, PM me and we'll attempt data recovery.

Thank you so much. Downloadds FTK Imager, but was unable for about 1 hour, to create the image (no source available).

Look in the following video, how my laptop sees the usb stick for 1 second and then the stick disconnects automatically. In the complete video, the stick is always in and I do not touch it anyway.

A few minutes ago, I got the chance, that I could select the usv device as a source in FTK Imager. It is now running very very slowly and tries to grab some data in the short seconds, the usb device is seen by windows.

So that is the status quo, will let it run the whole night now and will report tomorrow morning ...

#13 1 year ago

At least you got an acquisition started. Highly unlikely it will complete, but we will see.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

At least you got an acquisition started. Highly unlikely it will complete, but we will see.

As you said, it did not complete. Instead it always tried to create a new image, when it saw the usb stick for a few seconds. It wrote me hundreds of image files to the destination folder until my drive c: was complete full.

Tomorrow I will try with a windows xp cd in my office and with a linux live cd (have to create one first).

When nothing helps, I could send you this fuc.....g usb stick.

#15 1 year ago

If the circuitry inside the flash drive isn't allowing it to stay connected at all, you would be wasting your time at this point. To prevent data corruption trying this any further I would send the drive to a professional data recovery service. It will be expensive, but chances are they can transplant the NAND flash IC into another board provided the IC itself is working properly and get your files back.

#16 1 year ago

Try plugging it into different computer. Use a PC in one of the rear ports. I have seen flash drives stabilize with a little more current available (500ma rear ports 250ma front ports etc.).

If that fails send it out for repair or capture from one of the recovery services.

All is not lost, just expensive to recover.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Try plugging it into different computer. Use a PC in one of the rear ports. I have seen flash drives stabilize with a little more current available (500ma rear ports 250ma front ports etc.).
    If that fails send it out for repair or capture from one of the recovery services.
    All is not lost, just expensive to recover.

I will try that too.

What do you all think of the following? Use this method

and after formatting the stick then use a data recovery tool.

#18 1 year ago

Ingo, I see you're busy trying to restore your data, but how about replying to my 2 PM's asking about where the board I paid for a month ago is going to arrive?

#19 1 year ago

I would strongly advise against formatting. If you wipe out the file allocation table it will make professional recovery much more difficult. Not impossible, but more difficult. I don't think it's a data corruption issue, more like a USB bus issue within the flash drive itself.

#20 1 year ago

I agree do not format the drive yet.
    There are plenty of software programs that will raw copy the data and apply the data to a newly formatted track or another drive.

Paragon 15, will do a raw copy as an extreme measure. I have sucessfully raw copied a drive and used scandisk to make it readable with very little loss.

#21 1 year ago

One other thing, sometimes freezing a device or cooling it substantially with freeze spray, can stabilize a drive or controller device enough to copy it.

#22 1 year ago

OK, I will not format, but do all the other suggestions. I think now, that it is a "hardware" problem on the stick. I will also try with a bit freeze spray, as the stick indeed is a bit warmer than normal.

#23 1 year ago

It's running warm? Could be a malfunction resulting in thermal shutdown disconnecting it. Try freeze spray or putting it in the freezer first.

#24 1 year ago

Freezing did not help.

Mightbe, the following could be interesting:

With this tool

http://www.antspec.com/usbflashinfo/

I got the following results:

Controller: Silicon Motion SM3257 AA
    Possible Memory Chip(s):
    Samsung K9PDG08U2E
    Samsung K9HCG08U1E *2
    Memory Type: MLC
    Flash ID: ECD7C572 5442
    Flash CE: 4
    Flash Channels: Single
    Chip F/W: ISP 110303-AA-
    MPTOOL Ver.: 2.03.37
    VID: 18A5
    PID: 0302
    Manufacturer: Verbatim
    Product: STORE N GO
    Query Vendor ID: Verbatim
    Query Product ID: STORE N GO
    Query Product Revision: 1100
    Physical Disk Capacity: 16131293184 Bytes
    Windows Disk Capacity: 16115515392 Bytes
    Internal Tags: QT2R-KZ8L
    File System: FAT32
    Relative Offset: 16 KB
    USB Version: 2.00
    Declared Power: 500 mA
    ContMeas ID: D727-02-0F
    Microsoft Windows 10 x64 Build 14393
    ------------------------------------
    http://www.antspec.com/usbflashinfo/
    Program Version: 8.8.0.600

#25 1 year ago

I don't think that information is going to help outside of professional recovery. The flash drive may be shorting out and the PC may be cutting power to the USB port.

#26 1 year ago

Just for shits and giggles, how does the USB male connector look on the thumb drive itself? Any corrosion or debris? I used to wear one around my neck for years and they can get a little funky.

#27 1 year ago

looks like a failed component see here:

http://www.sertdatarecovery.com/flash-drive-recovery/how-to-fix-broken-not-recognized-usb-flash-drives

sometimes you can shotgun a flash drive if you have an exact spare for parts.

The NAND memory is usually intact.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Just for shits and giggles, how does the USB male connector look on the thumb drive itself? Any corrosion or debris? I used to wear one around my neck for years and they can get a little funky.

This isn't the issue, he has already piggybacked an extra plug.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

looks like a failed component see here:
    http://www.sertdatarecovery.com/flash-drive-recovery/how-to-fix-broken-not-recognized-usb-flash-drives
    sometimes you can shotgun a flash drive if you have an exact spare for parts.
    The NAND memory is usually intact.

Came across this company which seems to specialize in NAND chip recovery. They are a US based company though, I would ask if they do business internationally.

http://www.sertdatarecovery.com/usb-flash-drive-data-recovery

#29 1 year ago

Any luck?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 14.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 139.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Ewe22 Security PIC Chips
    $ 189.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside