Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gac
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Help! Odd thing happened today. I turn on my TZ today to change the time and I get nothing. No lights come on, clock doesn't move...nothing. I can hear a faint ticking sound coming from the back box. I haven't opened it yet as I have to move the machine to get at it. This is definitely a new issue with no warning. Nothing should have come loose as the machine hasn't been moved in years. Any thoughts? Is this a thermistor issue? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks all.

#2 4 years ago

Ya smell anything?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from motorbreth77:

Ya smell anything?

No... nothing.

#4 4 years ago

I’d start with just working the connectors on the boards and the ribbons. It could just be a bad connection.

#5 4 years ago

Check easiest first. outlet, plug, fuse in cab

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Check easiest first. outlet, plug, fuse in cab

Thanks. It shouldn't be the outlet or plug as other game on outlet is fine. It's plugged in and I'm hearing ticking sound in back box when switched on. There is power coming from the service outlet. Maybe the fuse. Will have to check. Hopefully I have one proper size on hand if that's it.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

I’d start with just working the connectors on the boards and the ribbons. It could just be a bad connection.

Thanks. Will check out after I check service box fuse.

#8 4 years ago

Seems likely you do have power to the backbox then - I'd move on to checking the 5V and seeing if the CPU is running. Start here: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Power-On_LEDs_and_Sound_Tones_.28Bongs.29

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

Seems likely you do have power to the backbox then - I'd move on to checking the 5V and seeing if the CPU is running. Start here: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Power-On_LEDs_and_Sound_Tones_.28Bongs.29

Not necessarily....I have seen similar before where it was the power cord at fault. Check both ends of that power cord very thoroughly. A lose connection can cause the clicking. Also check the main power fuse holder. The click can be a relay momentarily getting enough juice to energize, or arcing in a connection. Start simple first.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Maybe the fuse. Will have to check. Hopefully I have one proper size on hand if that's it.

Instead of ordering a fuse from a pinball store online you can buy slow blowing fuses at Home Depot, but you’ll pay twice as much as you would at Pinball life for example

#11 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have not had a free second to dig into this yet. Just thinking out loud... I wouldn't think it is the fuse in the service box as there is definitely power going to the back box as I can hear a quiet hum and the "ticking'" sound coming from it. I'm thinking if it were that fuse, I would have no power going to the backbox. Is my thinking correct?

#12 4 years ago

I had an issue where the jumper plug in the service box had a bad jumper wire connection. The machine would not turn on, wiggled them around and she turned on. Someones bad crimp job.

At the test points was there any voltages.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

I had an issue where the jumper plug in the service box had a bad jumper wire connection. The machine would not turn on, wiggled them around and she turned on. Someones bad crimp job.

At the test points was there any voltages.

Haven't had a chance to get in there. Not very good with a multimeter either.

#14 4 years ago

Set dmm to voltage and put black lead on ground and red lead to test points. On the driver board look for tp1 or tp2 and so on the values actually say it on the board 5v or 18v. Here is a list of the numbers and values.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/voltages-on-test-points-of-wpc-power-driver-board

#15 4 years ago

Well, I finally was able to get at my TZ. Before turning it on to open it up and see what leds were on or not on when I switched the power on, I simply reseated every cable and connector I could see. Turned the machine on and presto! She fired right up and appears perfectly fine. Has to be a connection that loosened up over the many years of play.

Thankfully, it ended up being nothing really. I would like to thank all of you that offered suggestions and advice. Other then reseating the cable/connectors I thankfully didn't need to try the other suggestions. It is all good information to have, however, if I do need it in the future. Hopefully I won't! Pinside is such a great resource. Thanks again everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 79.50
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 29.95
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-twilight-zone-is-dead?hl=niterider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.