(Topic ID: 162922)

Help Needed - Sound Issues on Gottlieb System 80B (Gold Wings)

By GoldWingsPilot

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Skidoo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3694 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hello all! I need some insight on how to tackle sound issues on a Gottlieb System 80B (Gold Wings) I am working on getting back to working condition, with my first post here on pinside.

TL;DR - I am having erratic sound issues - about 90% of the time I get no sound effects or soundtrack, about 10% of the time I get sound effects but no soundtrack.

But for the gory details...I am about a month in to my first foray into pin repair, getting my childhood Gold Wings back to working condition, which unfortunately is a System 80B . Here is short history of what I've done so far and the current problem. When I got the pin back (had been sitting dormant for about a decade), it wasn't booting reliably and had no solenoid action, here is what I have done:
- Replaced several fuses after checking all (solenoid fuse was blown which was the first problem)
- Then it wouldn't boot reliably unless I nudged the piggy back board! - After doing this, I had a few days where I played several fully functional games (albeit with intermittent piggyback pressure)
- To really address the piggy problem, I attempted to remove the piggyback to reflow all the joints - this went totally sideways and ended up with my piggy off (yay), but about 5 lifted pads and traces (boo) - I have ordered a PiggyDeux, but in the meantime decided to make one attempt to reattach and bluewire to get around the busted traces and pads - it worked! GW is now booting more reliably than is has since I've had it in the past month
- I have also reflowed header joints on the power supply board and reset board, replaced the 10kuF cap in the base, and done the ground mod in the base (remove the connectors and attach bundles directly to base)

HOWEVER....somewhere along the lines of doing the above, my sound has gone the way of the dodo, current symptoms/observations:
- About 90% of the time I get no sound (effects nor soundtrack) and D1 just stays lit
- About 10% of the time I get sound effects but no soundtrack and D1 is either solid lit or always off
- Pressing SW2 I get one bleep or bloop each time (changes which sound it makes some times)
- Pressing SW1 doesn't seem to do anything
- I have measured the relevant voltages and I am now getting 5, 12, -12, but I swear the first time I measured it was way off (could be a red herring)
- When I ground the SX signals, sometimes I get sound effects, sometimes I do not
- Volume pot is good, even when I have neither Fx or soundtrack, volume pot all the way up does throw a good buzz

I know everything on the game works (or recently did) because at some point in the past month I have had everything working (just not all at the same time!), it is just very frustrating now because the sound issues seem non-deterministic.

So, does anyone have any debugging tips or next steps to suggest (or has seen a similar issue in the past)? I have the Clay guides and some other misc. posts, but nothing seems like the exact same symptoms, so I don't know which way to look. The next thing I Will try to do this morning is to redo the gorund mod and ensure I getting good contact from all stripped wires.

Sorry for the long writeup, but wanted to give you guys the full picture of the current state in my first post.

Any insight you can give to a repair newbie would be much appreciated!!!
Adam

#2 7 years ago

I have absolutely nothing to offer, other than Gold Wings is an incredible game and sound issues on system 80bs really suck. I have spent countless hours debugging sound issues with very limited success. Good luck, hopefully someone can help you out.

#3 7 years ago

I am assuming youve addressed the ground issues already?

#4 7 years ago

I the LED blinking at your soundboard?

Is the power supply adjusted to +5V? If the +5V is a bit low, the soundboard might crash.

You can clean the edge connectors from CPU, driver and soundboard. (rub them with an eraser).

Performing the ground updates at the transformer assy is a good thing to do. In the head I personally never do the groundupdates in system 80B games, just double up the +5V and GND connections between CPU and driverboard. If done already, DO NOT use the +5V powersupply heatsink as a ground plane as it is barely isolated from the +5V (it is at the case of the LM338), use one of the yellow ground straps instead as a common for ground.

Marco

#5 7 years ago

5V good at CPU board cap, LED on sound board solid on, no blinky ?. I have done the cabinet base ground mod (removed the 4 connectors and put all wires directly to base via lugs) but have not done the driver board to cpu board harness mod as I don't have any parts yet to add wires to the harness.

#6 7 years ago

The LED is blinking if the soundboard runs correctly. Does your board have the 2 pushbuttons? One is a reset, when pressing these buttons; anything changes with the LED? These boards not have a watchdog circuit and are enabled to run by the CPU board. You can also reset the board manually. You *might* have corrupted ROM's or a bad memory chip.....it is difficult to judge at a distance. I hope it helps to give you some insights....

Good luck!

Marco

#7 7 years ago

Hi Marco - As I mentioned in my post, hitting the push buttons buttons does not change any state, usually causes a sound emission though. When I turn the game on, I either get a beep, or it just continually emits one sound effect (like constant jet thrusters in this game).

Anyone have similar experiences or any ther thoughts?

I am getting the piggy deux tomorrow, so perhaps that will help but since cpu board now seems to be working fairly well after my rework, I am not hopeful that it will fix the sound problems.

Thanks!
Adam

#8 7 years ago

System 80B games are reliable games, after 30 years things can fail here and there, just like your car. The "unreliability" is much exaggerated....we are running many of these games without any issues, also a GoldWings. Those soundboards are not easy to repair if they fail ....and your CPU board needs to be running before it can start your soundboard (blinking LED). If this doesn't happen and connectors / supply voltage are okay...I would diagnose the soundboard with testroms (which I wrote myself) to see what is really going on there and I would verify the ROM's.

SW1 is the reset switch, SW2 is a testswitch. Those boards have 2 sections, each section containing its own CPU, memory and DA converters. *Probably*, one section is doing the background sound, the other is taking care of the effects.

#9 7 years ago

Hi guys - I am out of ideas and in need of some expert advice . I received my Piggy Deux today, but unfortunately (as expected), I do not see a change with my sound board. I have also since completed the ground mods, with the exception of the driver board to main board double up, still no dice.

Game is booting very reliably, and I usually get sound Fx now, but just no sound track. Diode is still solid on. 5/12/-12 still looking good, and shorting the Sx wires on the sound board connector does play random tones. All tests in test mode check out fine, all lamps/solenoids good, really just seems isolated to sound board issues.

Does anyone have any ideas or know where to look next? I am now desperate because I feel like this could be the last issue to get me over the hump .

Any help much appreciated!
Adam

4 months later
#10 7 years ago

I am actually having same issue. My game was working fine but I wanted to do the CPU ground mod and battery replacement. I just completed those changes and now after putting the game together I don' have sound. Just a blinking light as this OP described. I am hoping the OP has found a solution and can share.

#11 7 years ago

Solve the problem. Bad solder joint on CPU Daughter board.

Now working on issue with solenoid 9 (outhole). I suspect Q59 or the 1n4148 diode. My tests of the diode leads me to believe it's bad. We know soon enough.

Andre

IMG_3694 (resized).JPGIMG_3694 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-sound-issues-on-gottlieb-system-80b-gold-wings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.