(Topic ID: 315698)

HELP Needed on linking two NBA Fastbreaks!

By KING-HENRY

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by supermoot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KING-HENRY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

i could use some hands-on advise on why my two NBA Fastbreaks are not linking...I’ve tried just about everything..2 new IC’s for the A/V board, new MPU ROMS for both machines to 3.1? revision, and both machines apparently have the same sound rom revision 3.0 (it says that on the DMD on both machines). I’ve made a null modem cable that is x’ed over on tx/rx and gnd to gnd. When I try to play a linked game, it says ‘Waiting for Link’, and does not que up and say ‘Waiting for player 2’..I’m thinking the only thing I haven’t tried is shortening the cable I made..I’ll buy someone a 6 pack if you can help me get these linked! Regards, King Henry

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Did you make a cable with all the wires, or just those three? I think you may need all.

That won't do anything unless you're talking dozens or hundreds of feet.

I made a cable with just the 3 wires..which apparently has worked for some people, but not sure..iv’e changed the machines priorities over from player 1 to 2, and no difference

#5 1 year ago

Actually, in those instructions, I added U22 and U24, and replaced G11, BUT DID NOT replace the S2 chips. I was told I didn’t need to if the revisions were the same. But i should probably get a set and try it, right?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I would at least read and compare the contents of EPROMs to the 3.0 ROM files (with an EPROM burner). That way you can confirm that the correct version is in place and that the EPROM data isn't corrupted in some way.

Unfortunately I don’t own a burner (yet). And on another note, I bought the TI560? Chip (the big one) because the 460? Chip is not available, but said it was backwards compatible to the older chip. And I assume those 2 ‘new’ chips don’t need to be burned, just set in their sockets??? On the topic again, I need to assume that the S2 chips are different (I’ll confirm their numbers soon), because the G11 chips were different revisions (one machine is 3 months older, and that’s about the time they were doing updates)

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd highly recommend getting one. Saves a lot of time and $$ if you work on games.

No, those are not EPROMs. They're some sort of I/O logic chip. 550 most likely. I didn’t have those numbers on hand.

Was it a 550 chip, or a 560 chip? I'm not sure what a 560 is.

550 most likely. I didn’t have those numbers on hand. It was a 5-something but the same as the 4-something lol

#11 1 year ago

Yeah need a eprom burner!! Already see how much I could save.

#12 1 year ago

Looks as though the s2 roms are different. I can’t fully verify, but one has a definite sticky newish sticker and the other has the window exposed. Doubtful the uv killed it. But in any case, I ordered 2 new S2 chips to make the troubleshooting way easier when they get here.

2 weeks later
#13 1 year ago

Update 6/11/22...installed the new matching pair of 3.0 sound roms on both machines, and no-go . Not sure what to do at this point..I suppose I could verify a 3rd time on the particular settings in both machines..I wish I could get some help from someone who has a pair of Fastbreaks, or has successfully linked theirs in the past. I’ve replaced, added, updated all IC’s and roms to make the link. Maybe check the cable again. FYI, the modem red led (on the A/V boards) are blinking, there’s no documentation that tells me that status; perhaps they need to be solidly lit to make the link? Anyways, could really use some help on this.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just to double check, did you install the 2 new ICs on both A/V boards?
Can you post photos of what you've done?

These are the two chips on both machines (not including the matching newest Sound rom 3.0 and newest 3.1 game rom on both.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KING-HENRY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-on-linking-two-nba-fastbreaks?tu=KING-HENRY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.