You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4399 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4400 (resized).JPEG
#1 3 years ago

Hi

So I picked up a Roto Pool. I should explain that I'm used to EM stuff having worked on vintage German wall bandits. However, pinballs are a whole new thing to me - I know very little so a point in the right direction would be a big help to get me started.

The machines is to my knowledge complete and appears very clean inside. Wiring and everything looks generally sound. All the rubbers on the playfield are dead but I can replace those ok. So here's where I've got to.

I switched on and on activating the coin switch it sprung into life (maybe it was mid way though a cycle? Anyway, lights came on, the bumpers advanced the score and shot the ball around as they should. The ball stuck and in jogging the machine the tilt light came on. Not knowing how to clear this I switched off and on but no joy. I then pressed the play button on the front and the machine appeared to go into a reset phase (as I guess it should). The counter on the backboard (the small one on the on the guy with the cue - what does that count anyway?!) stepped down to zero and I 'think' the balls also released. However, it now appears to be stuck in this reset. I can hear things whirring like it's still resetting but it doesn't stop. I haven't yet looked inside to see which bits are whirring. It would be helpful for a few tips on where to start though.

From what I've seen I'm guessing that the machine is basically sound as the main functions appear to have worked, but clearly there's a switch, wire or some other prob. I have done literally nothing yet apart form clean the contacts on the plugs before I connected the backboard. I wanted some advice before I did...

I have a schematic for it but no service type manual - is one available? Can anyone suggest a good trouble shooting guide I could follow - even if it's a generic one for this type of machine rather than specific to the model. Basically any tips or info will be very gratefully received by this pinball newby! Many thanks.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Geofflove:

counter on the backboard (the small one on the on the guy with the cue - what does that count anyway?!

That is the game credit reel. Check here for a great intro to EM's, inc. terminology and schematic reading (definitely bookmark!!): http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

#3 3 years ago

The whirring noise that you can hear is likely the score motor running. And it will continue to run until it 'sees' the various score stepper units have returned to their home position. There might be other reasons of course but that's where I would first look.
The stepper units will have likely gummed up from lack of use so look at their travel. With the power off and power lead unplugged from the wall outlet, try to advance and return each stepper by hand. You will soon find the ones that need attention. Lots of good info on these at www.pinrepair.com

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the help. The pinrepair info looks really good. I've had another brief look (I told myself I wouldn't start this one until I'd finished some other work I was doing but you know how it is....!)

I lifted the playboard and the whirring is the main motor in the base continually turning. The credit wheel resets to zero and the 100000 stepper returns to 0. However the 0-9 and the other stepper on the right don't move. (they are free to move as manually pressing the actuator steps them on and they seem very free.

HOWEVER, I have just noticed that there are some 'jumper' connectors mounted on the back of the 100000 stepper, 4 of which appear to have been pulled out from a socket there - see pic. The problem is I don't know which goes where.

IMG_4400 (resized).JPEGIMG_4400 (resized).JPEGIMG_4399 (resized).JPEGIMG_4399 (resized).JPEG
Anyone help?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Geofflove:

HOWEVER, I have just noticed that there are some 'jumper' connectors mounted on the back of the 100000 stepper,

Those are high score settings, for replay.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-on-gottlieb-roto-pool-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.