Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
026 (resized).jpg
025 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hello again. Someone was kind enough to help me locate the Advance unit on my Williams Skylab pinball that illuminates the word SPACELAB one letter at a time as you advance in scoring. The problem is the letters blink as you score and advance but they don't stay lit. They also blink one at a time and go off as the score is being added after the ball goes out but again they don't stay lit. I need to adjust this Advance unit so that the individual lights come on and stay on as the score is advancing. Any help instructing me how to properly adjust this would be most appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

According to the schematic, each letter should stay lit as the Advance unit advances. Do the wipers stay fairly well centered on the disk rivets?

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

Well there was one of the fingers slightly off and I fixed it. No change. Once one of the lights flickers for one of the letters it flickers as you're scoring and the bell is dinging. If 2 letters flicker then they flicker every time I'm scoring points and so on. They just won't stay lit. The little fingers on the Advance unit seem to stay aligned as it's changing positions.

#4 5 years ago

A bit of a short or something loose. You'll have to go thru and check all the wires and connections involved. Did you clean the finger contacts?

#5 5 years ago

Yes I did

#6 5 years ago

It's a pretty basic circuit. Push on the wiper finger to see if it'll light up or jumper it. Can you add a photo of the unit?

#7 5 years ago

If the SPACELAB lights don't light when they should, inspect and diagnose the circuit I posted above, with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

#8 5 years ago

Here is what I believe is the Advance Unit mounted to the underside of the playfield

025 (resized).jpg025 (resized).jpg026 (resized).jpg026 (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago
Quoted from StotzBotz:

Here is what I believe is the Advance Unit mounted to the underside of the playfield

At the risk of being a wiseacre, that label is pretty conclusive.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#10 5 years ago

I never saw that honestly. Thanks for POINTING that out

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

At the risk of being a wiseacre, that label is pretty conclusive.
[quoted image]

Sucks I can not thumbs this up more than once!

#12 5 years ago

It's a pretty basic circuit. Push on the wiper finger to see if it'll light up or jumper it. Can you add a photo of the unit?

#13 5 years ago

Thanks everyone. Last night before I went to bed I took a high power flashlight and went all over the Advance Unit looking for a problem. It was then I saw 2 wires that are joined together hanging down near the unit. I then saw a connector coming off of the metal frame of the unit that had a little solder on it. This morning I soldered the wires to the connector and everything is now working properly. Apparently this was a ground not making a connection. Happy weekend to all and again I appreciate the tips and time spent trying to help me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Fayette, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-making-adjustment-to-advance-unit-williams-skylab-machine?hl=cologneled and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.