Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by grantopia
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

i am posting this for a gentleman i have become phone call friendly as he bought a game on ebay and has a lot of questions - sadly i am not intelligent enough to answer them. i posted his email to me below - he will be joining pinside as i gave him the link - please answer these questions for him and hopefully he lives near somebody who can help him in the future. thanks ed - his email with questions is below.

I've watched a few video on repairing/painting the playfield. Have you done this before and do you recommend acrylic or enamel paint? I'm NOT going to be taking the playfield apart like the pros do, but rather will be taking off the easy things so that I can clean more of the playfield, but not all.

What products do you recommend to clean the playfield before painting? I've seen Windex, Mean Green, Magic Eraser, Naptha, others used, but not sure which are best.

As I'm sure you know, the bulbs are snap-ins. Do you know what number they are? Do you recommend replacing them with LEDs of the same size, presuming they exist? Are any flashing bulbs as opposed to regular bulbs? Do I simply BEND the metal strap that holds the bulb base back in order to get access to it, and then bend it back into place, or is there another way to do it? Do you recommend replacing ALL of the bulbs at the same time so that they have equal brightness?

The lanes that go to the flippers only have the metal rails and do not have the plastic rails that I see should be below the metal ones. Is there a place you recommend for replacement parts like this? Also, it looks like the metal "posts" that hold the metal rails are pretty thick circular columns - how exactly do the plastic rails attach to them below the metal ones? And speaking of metal, what product(s) do you recommend for cleaning the metal parts?

I've worked cosmetically on a handful of games in the past. I used to collect 1960s pitch and bat games and currently have a 1961 CCM Pro Basketball. But I've never replaced the rubbers on a pinball game. Any tips for me there?

The 8-ball drop target needs to be replaced (or at a minimum, an 8-ball sticker placed over the existing target). Does the entire assembly need to come off to replace a drop target or is it somehow easier than that?

Any other 8-ball deluxe specific advice? I had a fantastic condition one about 10 years back and absolutely loved it. The ONLY pinball game to have in my mind - it never gets old! Thanks again for all of your help and concern to make sure I landed one!

#2 4 years ago

sorry forgot to say i didn't sell him the game - he wanted to buy mine and it got bought by somebody else. so when i saw one for sale i was emailing him about them. thanks again - ed

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

I've watched a few video on repairing/painting the playfield. Have you done this before and do you recommend acrylic or enamel paint? I'm NOT going to be taking the playfield apart like the pros do, but rather will be taking off the easy things so that I can clean more of the playfield, but not all.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_Restoration#Playfield_Touch_Up

Quoted from edcianci:

What products do you recommend to clean the playfield before painting? I've seen Windex, Mean Green, Magic Eraser, Naptha, others used, but not sure which are best.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Recommended_Supplies

Quoted from edcianci:

As I'm sure you know, the bulbs are snap-ins. Do you know what number they are? Do you recommend replacing them with LEDs of the same size, presuming they exist? Are any flashing bulbs as opposed to regular bulbs? Do I simply BEND the metal strap that holds the bulb base back in order to get access to it, and then bend it back into place, or is there another way to do it? Do you recommend replacing ALL of the bulbs at the same time so that they have equal brightness?

Bulbs are #44 and can be purchased easily. Yes you can simply bend the mount of the bulb to gain access and then bend them back. Not really necessary to replace all but you may want to pull them all out and clean them.

Quoted from edcianci:

The lanes that go to the flippers only have the metal rails and do not have the plastic rails that I see should be below the metal ones. Is there a place you recommend for replacement parts like this? Also, it looks like the metal "posts" that hold the metal rails are pretty thick circular columns - how exactly do the plastic rails attach to them below the metal ones? And speaking of metal, what product(s) do you recommend for cleaning the metal parts?

I never had this game so not exactly certain what you're referring too but it may be best to get a manual (https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-pinball/E/Eight_Ball_Deluxe_OPS.pdf) for the game as it will show you all the parts, the part number and their placement.

Good resource for place to buy parts are:
Pinball Resource - http://www.pbresource.com/
Marco - https://www.marcospecialties.com/
to name a few

Quoted from edcianci:

The 8-ball drop target needs to be replaced (or at a minimum, an 8-ball sticker placed over the existing target). Does the entire assembly need to come off to replace a drop target or is it somehow easier than that?

Again, never owning this game not 100% certain but most targets of this era there is a pin at the bottom of the target, remove the E clip, slide the pin out and detach the spring.

Replacement targets for 8 Ball Deluxe
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=eight+ball+deluxe+targets

#4 4 years ago

meSz, can't thank you enough for all of the great links and info. And I should point out that the game I'm trying to get back in great shape is a 1981 Bally Eight Ball Deluxe. Will post pictures soon of the issue areas.

A couple areas which I noted need attention are the saucer behind the 8-ball drop target and the rollover button on the upper left-side lane. The saucer simply doesn't do anything so the ball just sits there. And the rollover button may not be raised high enough because only about half the shots over it actually register. Any thoughts on how to fix these or what I should look for to repair them?

Finally, the upper plastics are broken and could use replacement. Anybody know of where I can get these (besides the place in Germany) and also the clear plastics (like ball lane guides next to the flippers)?

Thanks all!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Bulbs are #44 and can be purchased easily. Yes you can simply bend the mount of the bulb to gain access and then bend them back. Not really necessary to replace all but you may want to pull them all out and clean them

With the power off of course.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from srose007:

meSz, can't thank you enough for all of the great links and info. And I should point out that the game I'm trying to get back in great shape is a 1981 Bally Eight Ball Deluxe. Will post pictures soon of the issue areas.
A couple areas which I noted need attention are the saucer behind the 8-ball drop target and the rollover button on the upper left-side lane. The saucer simply doesn't do anything so the ball just sits there. And the rollover button may not be raised high enough because only about half the shots over it actually register. Any thoughts on how to fix these or what I should look for to repair them?
Finally, the upper plastics are broken and could use replacement. Anybody know of where I can get these (besides the place in Germany) and also the clear plastics (like ball lane guides next to the flippers)?
Thanks all!

Check in test to see if the saucer switch registers that the ball is in there, it may just need adjusted. Make sure the coil fires in test as well for the saucer kickout. My guess is your roll over switch just needs adjusted as well. Those can take some playing around with to get right where they register consistently. Even then you will likely need to adjust it periodically.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

With the power off of course.

AGREE!

Quoted from srose007:

and the rollover button on the upper left-side lane. The saucer simply doesn't do anything so the ball just sits there.

This typically is the switch under the playfield, the ball is sitting in the saucer but the gap in the switch is too much. Check this first. Also, on most of these kickout holes the switch has a small plastic nub on it, this nub is what the ball sits on and pushes the switch down to activate it. Make sure that is there!

Quoted from srose007:

the rollover button may not be raised high enough because only about half the shots over it actually register.

Again, check the gap in the switch under the playfield. You can also take the glass off the playfield, start a game and push down on the rollover to see if it registers. If it does then you know it's just the gap in the switch it too much.

Quoted from srose007:

the upper plastics are broken and could use replacement.

You can buy a new plastic set https://cointaker.com/products/eight-ball-deluxe-playfield-plastic-set-15-pcs but if you only need a few then probably best bet is to put a Wanted Post on Pinside asking if anyone has the ones you need.

#9 4 years ago

Thanks to @Travish, @grantopia, meSz and Atari_Daze for the new info! Tomorrow will be my first attempt at putting the game in self-test mode and it will be interesting to see exactly which lights, switches and other hardware have issues. I'm sure you're right about the saucer and roll-over likely just needing adjustment because the rest of the game seems to operate fine. I'll also be taking a ton of pictures tomorrow before I start to take off the easily-removed items on the top of the playfield. My plan after watching the videos is to touch up the missing paint spots with acrylic paint and then varathane the playfield as much as possible. I just don't have the expertise or confidence to remove everything from the top (and definitely nothing from the bottom) since I don't have any electrical know-how. Thanks to you all, I'm looking forward to tackling this fun project and bringing this baby back as much as possible to former glory! Rack 'em up!

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from srose007:

I just don't have the expertise or confidence to remove everything from the top

Taking the stuff off the top is not that difficult and these Bally games of this era aren't that hard. Just take a lot of pictures of the playfield, take off all the plastics and then take more pictures. By taking everything off (may want to keep the pop bumpers on as you have to de-solder them from underneath the playfield) you will be able to clean the entire playfield, not to mention all the hardware. Then you can touch it up and go from there!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Taking the stuff off the top is not that difficult and these Bally games of this era aren't that hard. Just take a lot of pictures of the playfield, take off all the plastics and then take more pictures. By taking everything off (may want to keep the pop bumpers on as you have to de-solder them from underneath the playfield) you will be able to clean the entire playfield, not to mention all the hardware. Then you can touch it up and go from there!

Yep! The rest will also come with time. When I got my first game I was nervous to even change out a light or take the glass off. Now I do all my own board work and repairs and tear games down regularly. All in good time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-for-newbie-in-california and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.