• Latest reply 7 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Backglass (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

This original post was my cry for help in getting my first ever pinball machine working. And hour later it is!

I finally found the problem! It was the starter relay coil I believe. I got to looking further into the rear of the unit and found the reset relay and right behind it was an unlabeled one. Pressed it manually and reset kicked in, balls drop and playfield was active!! Plus wrapper on coil is missing parts of it and wires are black. Going to test with meter tomorrow.

I am sooo excited tonight!!

Now the process of restoration and repair begins. Replay unit and match unit was cleaned this week. So much more to work on though!

Right flipper was working then not. Needs all new rubbers. Playfield needs help. Flippers also didn't have enough power. Ball release was sticking some and here is a weird one... when I press flipper buttons it gives me points everytime?

Any idea on that? Lol.

Now that I know it works, let the addiction begin!!

#2 7 years ago

You need to get a 15 AMP fuse to replace that homemade foil one ASAP. Crap like that can burn your house down.

#3 7 years ago

Congrats! It's a great feeling when they spring to life. I'm guessing you will still have plenty of cleaning adjusting ahead of you but it's a great start. Having some success when you first start working on them is just one of the addictive elements of pinball. As mentioned the tinfoil wrapped fuse is never a good sign. Hopefully the previous owner was just cheap and not trying to permanently overcome a short.

As far as the flippers giving points. Most likely there is a playfield switch near them that is gapped too close. The movement of the flippers causes enough vibration to close the switch and points are scored.

#4 7 years ago

I bet if you tap the top of your playing field, you'll get points too (therefore I agree with Alex). And stick a nail in that fuseholder...it will last forever!
Just kidding....please put a fuse in there and preferably a 15amp.

And congrats on getting the game working!
Joe

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

You need to get a 15 AMP fuse to replace that homemade foil one ASAP. Crap like that can burn your house down.

I don't have the foil on the fuse at the moment. That is a picture from when I purchased it. I replaced all the fuses on day one.

I was just showing the ignorance of the previous owner! Plus this topic was originally asking for help to get it running and that picture was more relevant to that post (if you look it before edited). And I couldn't find how this delete a topic so I just edited it to update the status of the machine.

But I did just remove the picture since it wasn't related to the new topic change

Sorry for the confusion guys!

#6 7 years ago

And you guys are dead on with the points going off. Just closing the playfield down sets off points. Breathing hard sets off points lol.

So I am guessing I still have a lot of cleaning and adjusting left. But now I am actually enjoying the process more since I now confirmed that the machine actually operates. At first I had no clue if I was just wasting my time.

#7 7 years ago

The coffee must not have taken full effect yet. When I first saw this thread I thought it was about one of these.

Backglass (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When I first saw this thread I thought it was about one of these.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought someone had just gotten a Monster Bash.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

When I first saw this thread I thought someone had just gotten a Monster Bash.

If only that were true! That is one I want SOOOO badly!

Instead I ended up with a poor man 1963 model. But I am just happy to own a pin. Later on I will get something from the 90's!

#10 7 years ago

More bang for the buck in the Skill Pool I bet.

#11 7 years ago

Probably a little more challenging too.

#12 7 years ago

I personally don't mind the older pins but I personally seem to enjoy the gameplay of the more modern pins. I love ramps and animations and various objectives. This skill pool is just a bell ringer basically but it looks enjoyable. Ordered new rubbers and other goodies to continue my repair this weekend. Hope to be playing it with it running smoothly soon!

The only thing I will have to get used to is since this one has no outer-lane it instead has those kickback slots beside the flippers, so it looks as if holding the ball to aim is not going to be an option. So losing that method of ball control is going to bring a whole new challenge!

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The coffee must not have taken full effect yet. When I first saw this thread I thought it was about one of these.

that's what I thought we were talking about as well, but was confused because I didn't think they had EM replay switch stacks in them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-desperately and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.