(Topic ID: 261482)

Help needed: creating a VUK for Radical!

By Chosen_S

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E2F43BA8-0B3D-4284-8E09-4A77E4349FCA (resized).jpeg
fff (resized).PNG
12B30E0B-1934-4BBA-A71C-446B40873A38 (resized).png
mmm (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4116C3E4-9822-4F3A-92EC-F7DAEDE70497 (resized).jpeg
8DCCB25F-B399-4B44-993A-C4FDB8211489 (resized).jpeg
5CF10E93-A676-4C83-A462-D1FBE6A66C07 (resized).png
aaa (resized).jpg
8EB3D5BC-9018-438B-9C3B-F8E39AA005BF (resized).jpeg
8ABA52CE-3537-4102-A9C2-D1CACC12020E (resized).jpeg
A313D999-B3C8-46C2-B4F4-435658D9EFEF (resized).jpeg
radical (resized).PNG
relay 2 (resized).PNG
relay (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tdddddd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 4 years ago

I messaged @soren about adding support for solenoid 03A (Ball Popper) and 15 (sling kicker) and didn't hear back. I asked a similar question in the Radical Club thread about adding his mods to the proto rom and he said no.

Here's what I see with the proto roms.

When the fork switch is closed
1) run the Snake Run Bonus award sequence
2) fire 2 flash lamps. (The ones on either side of the crossover ramp diverter)
3) fire solenoid 03A (the ball should land on and stay on the plastic ramp)

I had to reduce the coil strength in order to keep the ball from bouncing off the ramp most of the time.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:I'm not familiar at all with the nuances of Radical since I haven't played one since it came out.... is there an equivalence between the proto and the production run in terms of the switch that triggers all that?
I don't think taking the new rules if that's what you want and adding the new rules to the proto roms would be the way to go and I can see why Soren wasn't interested in doing that (it's like taking an entirely new rom and duplicating everything added to the other) - but adding in the proto stuff TO the new rom (or just taking the newer stock rom) seems like the way to go.

It is the same switch (in the matrix), 16, that starts the sequence. The physical switch is different and the software must treat it differently.

I presented the question from both directions just to see if I could start a dialog. He's probably limited by the lack of a prototype game to test on. And then there's the issue of the tiny target audience, unless it's configurable. I'd be interested in understanding how he creates his mods. Does he have source? What's the build environment, etc.

Does anybody know Dan Lee?

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

There's a TON of room in the L1 radical roms. Large swaths of unused areas.

How would the software have to treat it differently? I know there's going to be a pause on a vuk vs. not.... is that it? I see there's also an extra slingshot on the prototype - do those switches do anything on the non-proto (are there even switches there?) Is that the only different, the vuk is switch 16.... what does the regular switch 16 do just go around the upper loop?
The vuk puts it up onto the top ramp is all? Is it always accessible like Earthshaker's is?

When I first installed the proto ROMs I was able to get the extra slingshot working using switch 49, which is not used on production models. A sling sound effect is played. However, I was not able to activate the bonus sequence by hitting the spot target used on the production games. IIRC, I had to hold it closed to start the bonus sequence. Once I installed the popper and fork switch it worked fine. Comparing the spot target (momentary) to the fork switch (which remains closed), it seemed that the software must use different routines.

The vuk moves the ball from under the playfield to the ramp. The vuk is served by a ramp under the playfield and a gobble hole allows the ball to reach that ramp. Production models have the spot target (switch 16) mounted forward in the gobble hole, blocking access to the hole. On the protos the hole is open and the switch is a fork switch (using switch 16) mounted to the vuk assembly. The hole (or the spot target on production models) is not always accessible. It is mostly blocked by a 3 bank drop target assembly that resets shortly after all three targets are dropped. Since all that the vuk does is move the ball to the ramp it is not missed much on the production models. It slows the game down because it waits for the bonus sequence to complete before putting the ball back into play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Boards
PinSound

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tdddddd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-creating-a-vuk-for-radical?tu=tdddddd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.