(Topic ID: 261482)

Help needed: creating a VUK for Radical!

By Chosen_S

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E2F43BA8-0B3D-4284-8E09-4A77E4349FCA (resized).jpeg
fff (resized).PNG
12B30E0B-1934-4BBA-A71C-446B40873A38 (resized).png
mmm (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4116C3E4-9822-4F3A-92EC-F7DAEDE70497 (resized).jpeg
8DCCB25F-B399-4B44-993A-C4FDB8211489 (resized).jpeg
5CF10E93-A676-4C83-A462-D1FBE6A66C07 (resized).png
aaa (resized).jpg
8EB3D5BC-9018-438B-9C3B-F8E39AA005BF (resized).jpeg
8ABA52CE-3537-4102-A9C2-D1CACC12020E (resized).jpeg
A313D999-B3C8-46C2-B4F4-435658D9EFEF (resized).jpeg
radical (resized).PNG
relay 2 (resized).PNG
relay (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 4 years ago

Why not have soren add in code for the VUK?

He rewrote a lot of the code already so he's going to be intimately familiar with it.

Does the vuk use some existing switch that in the final game is used in a different way? That would be the easiest way to change the code, tag it onto that switch routine.... or if anyone has the proto code the routine can be moved from one software base to another.

#20 4 years ago

I'm not familiar at all with the nuances of Radical since I haven't played one since it came out.... is there an equivalence between the proto and the production run in terms of the switch that triggers all that?

I don't think taking the new rules if that's what you want and adding the new rules to the proto roms would be the way to go and I can see why Soren wasn't interested in doing that (it's like taking an entirely new rom and duplicating everything added to the other) - but adding in the proto stuff TO the new rom (or just taking the newer stock rom) seems like the way to go.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I think adding in the code to the new rules would be the way to go. But knowing how small the rims are, he may have tapped out the space and there may not be room for the prototype code for the switch

There's a TON of room in the L1 radical roms. Large swaths of unused areas.

Quoted from tdddddd:

It is the same switch (in the matrix), 16, that starts the sequence. The physical switch is different and the software must treat it differently.
I presented the question from both directions just to see if I could start a dialog. He's probably limited by the lack of a prototype game to test on. And then there's the issue of the tiny target audience, unless it's configurable. I'd be interested in understanding how he creates his mods. Does he have source? What's the build environment, etc.

How would the software have to treat it differently? I know there's going to be a pause on a vuk vs. not.... is that it? I see there's also an extra slingshot on the prototype - do those switches do anything on the non-proto (are there even switches there?) Is that the only different, the vuk is switch 16.... what does the regular switch 16 do just go around the upper loop?

The vuk puts it up onto the top ramp is all? Is it always accessible like Earthshaker's is?

Any source is re-created.... there's a ton of 68xx cross assemblers available for the PC, so it's no big deal to assemble. The rub with custom roms is always the beta testing.... as in, is the beta tester going to give good feedback when things don't work right? Does the beta tester even have eproms and a burner? Beta testers in my experience run the gamut of never even telling you if they tried the software, or telling you ANYTHING about how it worked/didn't work, to saying "something went wrong. I don't know when or what the state was. Fix it." to detailed notes and videos on reproducible errors.

The changes to roms can be applied as patches that wedge into the existing software, or can be an entire re-created source code package. It depends on the nature of the change. Patches get messy really quickly if a lot of changes need to be made, but they are a lot quicker to create. Re-creating source code is a relatively large task.... it really depends on the goal.

Not having the game to test can be a big stumbling block, it's very difficult to "play" a game on pinmame to test.

For people who want to see what williams "pinbol" code was in the system 11 era, it's not too far from the system 7 stuff posted here:
http://gamearchive.askey.org/Pinball/Manufacturers/Williams/PinBuilder/text/williams_lvl7_programming.html#compatibility

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from tdddddd:

I was not able to activate the bonus sequence by hitting the spot target used on the production games. IIRC, I had to hold it closed to start the bonus sequence. Once I installed the popper and fork switch it worked fine. Comparing the spot target (momentary) to the fork switch (which remains closed), it seemed that the software must use different routines.

System 7-11 have a switch parameter attached to each switch that determines how long the switch must be continuously active before the game will service it - a standup needs a very short activation time, and a vuk (as well as eject holes, drop targets, and trough switches) need a longer time. It might be as simple as changing the switch timing for switch 16 in the production/soren software to the longer timing needed for the vuk, and then adding the code to the end of the vuk routine to do the light show/eject the ball. If what that standup does is substantially the same, other than the flasher/vuk activation that is the way I'd approach it.

I'd think that the sling in the proto would activate anyway since it's a special solenoid, but I'd say with the newer software it won't score or make a sound effect - that could probably be added back in as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-creating-a-vuk-for-radical?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.