4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 months ago

So I went to expo last weekend and got to play a lot of cool games. I didnt get a lot of time with each but really enjoyed MB and the new BK.

I keep going back and fourth in my mind of which I want to purchase. I was set on buying MB but upon reading posts, many say it is easy and gets boring over time. I do not have any new sterns with the LCD so thought something like that could be a cool addition or even a JJP title.

That being said, what would you recommend based on what is available right now? I currently have TAF, SMVE, AFMrSE, Taxi, FH, BH, TZ, and IJ. I know taste and preference is a huge driving factor here but though I would see what others thought. I typically really enjoy Pat Lawlor titles. Thanks!

#2 4 months ago

Which BK did you enjoy pro or premium?

#3 4 months ago

Maybe play some others and decide? Check out the pinside map. There is a place called One well brewery in Kalamazoo which is near you to play recent games. People tastes are very specific so only you should decide what to get.

#4 4 months ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Which BK did you enjoy pro or premium?

It was a Pro, but I think I’d like it even more with the upper playfield. Really like the theme.

#5 4 months ago

I don’t think either game is optimal as a first/only game but would go with MB. I would personally go with MM, SM, or AFM which have similar layouts but more depth. The new Elvira might also be worth consideration.

#6 4 months ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

I don’t think either game is optimal as a first/only game but would go with MB. I would personally go with MM, SM, or AFM which have similar layouts but more depth. The new Elvira might also be worth consideration.

Its not my first, I listed my current line up. I did play the new Elvira and thought it was pretty fun.

#7 4 months ago
    Quoted from Tlamb:

Its not my first, I listed my current line up. I did play the new Elvira and thought it was pretty fun.

AFM and MB have a similar layout, so I wouldn't get MB personally.

Lots of good options out there right now. JP2 or DP would be my top picks for NIB as they have unique layouts that are actually fun to shoot with good rule sets.

I hear there's a new Spooky game coming up before the end of the year, might be worth the wait as well.

#8 4 months ago

Mbr all day long, light show is incredible plus its a proven classic. Bk you can play on route. To me it really doesn’t have long term lasting power.

#9 4 months ago

Stay clear of nib games except CgC. Unless you like a headache of low quality.

#10 4 months ago

The new decked out MB is super nice and with the problems the other manufactures are having and their unwillingness to be transparent on the issue I'd stick with something safe. CGC seems to be avoiding the problems, they are likely still silk-screening the good ol fashioned way vs cheaping out and going digital printing.

#11 4 months ago

If the game doesn't have to be new, you could get 2 great Lawlor games for what you'd be spending. Whirlwind, Ripleys, Road Show, NGG, Earthshaker...I'd take 2 of those over MB or the new BK all day every day...

#12 4 months ago

It’s tricky to buy a pinball especially just one, trying to predict if/when you are gonna get bored of it versus how you enjoy playing it a couple times.

AFM is my favorite game on location but there is no way I would have one at home, my interest for it doesn’t last long.

I find MB to fall in the same category, there is not much to do and the shots lack subtlety.

I think MM has a good balance if you like simple no brainer shooters, TSPP and LOTR are the decently priced ones I would go with for long term fun.

#13 4 months ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

This 100%
    Stern and jjp playfeilds are garbage right now. Buy a huo you can inspect first.

#14 4 months ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

This is far from the truth. Like anything else being bought new, there will be a handful of people that have issues, but its not the majority.

#15 4 months ago

Definitely appreciate all the input and perspective. At expo I was just really drawn to MB, thought the art package was amazing and you can’t be that large display with updated graphics, same that made me buy s AFMrSE.

How does Dialed In hold up? Played it a handful of times and really liked it, wasn’t sure if it got old too fast.

#16 4 months ago
    Quoted from Tlamb:

Definitely appreciate all the input and perspective. At expo I was just really drawn to MB, thought the art package was amazing and you can’t be that large display with updated graphics, same that made me buy s AFMrSE.
    How does Dialed In hold up? Played it a handful of times and really liked it, wasn’t sure if it got old too fast.

DI is one of my favorite games. Excellent shot flow, classic mode-based ruleset (with incentive to actually play out the modes), and excellent light show. It needs a bit of "dialing in" out of the box but when you get it to that point, it's one of the best games imo. Haters can only harp on the theme. To each their own.

#17 4 months ago

Since you like Lawlor games, I'd recommend looking more into a Dialed In. It is super deep, has the full screen, and is full of toys. You could get a couple of older games for that price as well. Whirlwind is another unique older Lawlor game (he made it right before funhouse) that is worth looking into. If you don't like the theme, the DE Jurassic Park is a complete ripoff of the layout and has a fantastic theme. Demolition man is a good, cheap, ramp game as well... bonus points if you are tall. Earthshaker is another good Lawlor, although a bit shallow. I think it would pair well with a Whitewater. If it were me, and I were talking NIB game prices, I'd look at one of the following lineups.

1. Dialed In
    2. Whirlwind and Demolition Man
    3. Earthshaker and WhiteWater

Dang it... now I want a Demo Man.

#18 4 months ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

DI is one of my favorite games. Excellent shot flow, classic mode-based ruleset (with incentive to actually play out the modes), and excellent light show. It needs a bit of "dialing in" out of the box but when you get it to that point, it's one of the best games imo. Haters can only harp on the theme. To each their own.

It took me a while to like Dialed In but after some very satisfying plays and after finally making sense of the rather obscure rules, I’m totally hooked up to it.

The problem Ive had for a long time is that there’s a bunch of flashing shots all the time and its hard to get what does what. But once in a good flow the game is fantastic.

#19 4 months ago
    Quoted from adol75:

It took me a while to like Dialed In but after some very satisfying plays and after finally making sense of the rather obscure rules, I’m totally hooked up to it.
    The problem Ive had for a long time is that there’s a bunch of flashing shots all the time and its hard to get what does what. But once in a good flow the game is fantastic.

A lot of the times, they're combo indicators (I think it flashes yellow?). If you hit one shot, several more shots will flash essentially telling you if you hit one of them, you will extend your combo. You'll also hear a sound effect that increases in pitch as you continue to hit shots and Mandy says "Again!".

One of the inlanes can also be lit for a hurryup, which you can change from L/R with a flipper button. The right inlane lights a hurry-up at the left ramp, and the left inlane lights a hurry up at the theater. You light the inlanes at the two standup targets on either side of the theater (I believe but may be mistaken).

All other lit shots are generally mode driven, in that those are the shots that you have to make in order to progress through the modes.

#20 4 months ago

I unfortunately haven’t gotten much time with Dialed In, but I can see myself enjoying it. I really like the layout and toys, definitely a contender. Thanks for the feedback all.

#21 4 months ago
    Quoted from Tlamb:

dialed in is a great game that wont get old like mb, or black knight.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 399.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 50.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 32.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside