Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RGR
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2022-03-29 3.54.11 AM (resized).png
    Weight Loss Chart week 8 (resized).png
    Weight Loss Chart  week 6 (resized).png
    Weight Loss Chart week 5 (resized).png
    Weight Loss Chart (4) (resized).png
    Weight Loss Chart week 3 (resized).png
    E57A0032-59C0-427C-A020-C11BFF31FD89 (resized).jpeg
    Weight Loss Chart week 2 (resized).png
    Weight Loss Chart (2) (resized).png
    tapatalk_1557750437245 (resized).jpeg
    FB_IMG_1557750401207 (resized).jpg
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Hello all I have a friend named Richard.

The Australian pinball Community know him simply as RGR because he leaves his initials everywhere he goes. He is ranked 116th in the world but doesn't travel too much does to costs involved...if he did it would be a lot higher.

RGR has been struggling with his weight for over 10 years.

He won the Australian championship this year and
    he wants to go to pinburgh in 2020. He is using it as motivation to shed a massive 50kgs (110lbs).

He has started a gofundme that will help pay for the trip and expenses and he will only get access to the funds if he drops the weight.

https://www.gofundme.com/road-to-pinburgh-2020

I've opened a bank account with him to ensure that he cannot access without me and vice versa. No one is running away with any money.

He has weighed himself and filmed his starting weight as proof (pic attached)

If he doesn't reach his target all funds go to charity
    If he does and you are the closest guess to his start/end weight then you can take a portion of his potential winnings at the words biggest comp.

The full write up is here.
    https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/99826-Road-to-Pinburgh-2020-RGR-50kg-weightloss-challenge

Only reason I'm posting is that the pinball community does such awesome things all the time. RGR doesn't need to go to pinburgh, but to live a healthier life he needs to drop some weight and keep it off.
    Hoping his eventual weight loss will inspire others as well.

FB_IMG_1557750401207 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1557750401207 (resized).jpgtapatalk_1557750437245 (resized).jpegtapatalk_1557750437245 (resized).jpeg
    #2 4 years ago

Our community does some cool shit, great idea.

#3 4 years ago

Howdy Folks. The following is the Facebook page if you wanna join it to get updates:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/586609025167991/

Remember that anyone in the world can go in the "starting weight comp" and if I cash in Pinburgh I will pay the winner if they are from the US when I am over there. Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for your support!

Remember should the winner be from the states I will donate a % to Project Pinball.

#4 4 years ago

RGR,weight loss is very tricky! First,you have to redo your entire diet!! Then,exercise is the key!! I started by walking 3 miles a day! I am a vet,so this method was suggested by the V.A! Is doubtful you can loose that much weight in 1 year!You may be able to shed at least 50>60 lbs in that time period!! Good luck brother Pinhead,and keep on keeping on!!!

#5 4 years ago

Lots of my family has lost weight on the whole 30 diet. Pretty much just eating fruits and vegetables. It’s an extremely hard to follow diet, but helps people with food allergies and more

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

RGR,weight loss is very tricky! First,you have to redo your entire diet!! Then,exercise is the key!! I started by walking 3 miles a day! I am a vet,so this method was suggested by the V.A! Is doubtful you can loose that much weight in 1 year!You may be able to shed at least 50>60 lbs in that time period!! Good luck brother Pinhead,and keep on keeping on!!!

14.5 months.

#7 4 years ago

RGR, after many failed attempts, I finally achieved something similar- I lost 60 lbs in 7-9 months.

The attempt that finally succeeded was different in that I committed myself to initially do only one simple thing- walk every single day for 3 weeks. I didn't worry about distance in this first 3 weeks. I focused only on starting the habit. So that meant medium walks around the neighborhood most of the time, but sometimes longer walks and sometimes only 5 minutes around the block! I didn't care about having enough time or what time i got home at night. I just made sure I could say to myself that I genuinely "walked" today. That 5 minute walk around the block on those toughest days counted, and that was critical!

After 3 weeks the investment (habit) was in place. Also by then I was starting to feel the positive changes in my body, and THAT, plus the habit I just started, took over and it was much easier (self motivating, rather than people telling me what to do) to eventually move on to eating better and more aggressive exercising (for me, eventually running.) I did this on my own- letting one thing lead to another- but I owe it all to that initial 3 week investment in starting the new habit.

(My Chinese Doctor gets credit for this simple plan.)

#8 4 years ago

this is awesome. good luck, man!

#9 4 years ago

Best of luck!! And in my best BK2K form "You can do it, You can defeat the fat ....."

#10 4 years ago

My weight loss journey started when my wife had a heart attack 2 years ago. I realized that before I hit 40 I better start to get my shit together. I'm 6'3 and got up to about 285lbs. Now I did it a little different then most. I drink daily and wasn't going to give up beer and I'm a pothead so generally lazy and never work out. My excercise is walking my dog a couple times a day. Usually 15 minutes each. The biggest thing though is I love to eat. Buffet was first thing to go. We'd eat once sometimes twice a week at our buffet. Second was cutting out sugar drinks during the day. No pop or juice. Switched to skim milk and started slowly cutting back on portion size. Instated of 2 sandwiches I'd eat one and have some vegetables or a piece of fruit. And the biggest was not having bags of chips in the cupboard to snack on at night.
    I went from 285 to 230 in less then 60 days and six months later was at my high school weight of 215lbs. I've maintained that weight or around 225lbs since. I could probably lose more if I worked out and drank less beer but I'm generally happy, not wheezing, sleep better at night and really enjoy others commenting on the weight loss. Also clothes are easier to find when your not looking for 2xl and 3xl shirts.

Good luck bro. Small steps and hope you achieve your goals.

#11 4 years ago

Best of luck Roger. I made a promise to myself to drop 60 lbs and I am halfway there. It requires a complete 180 on your eating habits and your outlook. The good news is, once it starts coming off, it motivates you, and before long, it becomes second nature. You can do this. The Slap Save boys are in your corner. Hope to be one that welcomes the new you to the states!

Final weight guess: 197lbs/89kg Starting 307lbs/139kg

FYI my program director told me it would take 6 months on the dot, and I am ahead of schedule. It is not a stretch. Now go slay that scale.

Added over 5 years ago:

Sorry, I meant Richard. Sorry for the mistake.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Hello all I have a friend named Richard.
    The Australian pinball Community know him simply as RGR because he leaves his initials everywhere he goes. He is ranked 116th in the world but doesn't travel too much does to costs involved...if he did it would be a lot higher.
    RGR has been struggling with his weight for over 10 years.
    He won the Australian championship this year and
    he wants to go to pinburgh in 2020. He is using it as motivation to shed a massive 50kgs (110lbs).
    He has started a gofundme that will help pay for the trip and expenses and he will only get access to the funds if he drops the weight.
    https://www.gofundme.com/road-to-pinburgh-2020
    I've opened a bank account with him to ensure that he cannot access without me and vice versa. No one is running away with any money.
    He has weighed himself and filmed his starting weight as proof (pic attached)
    If he doesn't reach his target all funds go to charity
    If he does and you are the closest guess to his start/end weight then you can take a portion of his potential winnings at the words biggest comp.
    The full write up is here.
    https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/99826-Road-to-Pinburgh-2020-RGR-50kg-weightloss-challenge
    Only reason I'm posting is that the pinball community does such awesome things all the time. RGR doesn't need to go to pinburgh, but to live a healthier life he needs to drop some weight and keep it off.
    Hoping his eventual weight loss will inspire others as well. [quoted image][quoted image]

Is he the one on the right or left?

#13 4 years ago

I would just remember that a lot of the initial weight loss will be water weight. You didn't put on 110 lbs in one year, so to expect to take that off in a year is going to be extremely difficult. It is a long-race, don't burn yourself out.

#14 4 years ago

Good luck! Someone needs to modify one of those walking desks to make a "walking" pinball machine so you can walk on a treadmill as you play.

#15 4 years ago

A little tip.

Use chop sticks to eat everything.

Slows down eating by a mile.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

A little tip.
    Use chop sticks to eat everything.
    Slows down eating by a mile.

Especially when you don’t know how to use them. lolol

I hope him all the best as it’s one of the hardest things to do, Good luck.

#17 4 years ago

I once lost 75 lbs (250 -> 175) in about 5-6 months, but was done in a very unhealthy way.

The key for me was tracking number of calories and amount of exercise (myfitnesspal app). I set a strict goal of 1200 calories of intake per day, and initially was burning 500 calories per day on the treadmill (eventually went to 1000 calories per day). I did this 6 days a week, with a splurge day in between, where I wouldn't work out and eat maybe 2000 calories or so. While I felt fine when it was happening, and loved losing 6-7 pounds a week, which kept me going, by the time I hit 175 lbs, I was consistently light headed and almost blacked out several times.

The week I stopped working out so much, weight started coming back... eventually went back to my old ways, and now 5-6 years later I'm back to the original weight (though my cholesterol is still much lower than it was before).

So good luck... it's definitely possible, but takes real commitment.

#18 4 years ago

I have lost 55 lbs since FEB 2017. Cut way back on soda pop, never drank diet pop, replaced soda pop by drinking plenty of water. As for food, smaller portions. Eat real food, no cookies no chips and dip, no large bags of nachos. Also less pasta etc. Eating more nuts. Generally not stuffing ones tummy full of food. There is now no reason in eating a full Large size pizza, or a foot long sub sandwich. Have not been to a buffet in a long time, or like when we were younger hang out at the same restaurant every Saturday Night.

I walk plenty at work, if your job is at a desk, you might want to walk or ride a bike after work. Keep moving some how, try to burn some calories. Some people can follow a diet, some can't.

When working out with a regime can be deceiving as weight loss may not actually happen, at first. Muscle mass will develop and muscle is heavier than fat cells. Clothes sizes will change, dropping sizes with less weight gain. Eventually the exercising will pay off, and the weight will shed off. Some people get addicted to working out every day, part of a routine (Not Me).

So less Beer, less Cheezies, less fun! (Just kidding). Good Luck.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Lots of my family has lost weight on the whole 30 diet. Pretty much just eating fruits and vegetables. It’s an extremely hard to follow diet, but helps people with food allergies and more

This diet, and others like it, are generally ranked pretty low among weight loss plans by nutrition and health professionals. Good for losing weight in the short-term if you can suffer through and stay on it. Bad for establishing a realistic long-term nutritional lifestyle and maintaining weight loss.

#20 4 years ago

I heard somewhere that running first thing in the morning before you eat is the best way to burn calories. Not sure about the calories thing but running is the best exercise imo. I started running a few years ago to get in better shape and lose a few pounds. Tough to get started but has worked out well for me. No need for gym memberships or any expensive gear.

I don't think things have to be complicated with special diets. Just limit things like sugar drinks or beer, eat more fruits and vegetables, smaller portions, and don't have junk food in the house. Pack your lunch and rarely go out to eat. Helps save money, too. I cook and have three kids to feed. I'm no gourmet chef but not hard to find things that everyone likes that's on the healthy side.

#21 4 years ago

My wife and I wish you all the best. Health, happiness and family are the most important things in life.

#22 4 years ago

good luck

#23 4 years ago

We all have stories and advice to give, and the OP and RGR may or may not want to hear all of that...but what he is asking for is support and motivation from us all. If we can drop over a hundred on a plastic monkey flapping his wings....what's a couple of bucks to help someone achieve their goal? I for one am willing to invest, just to see if it works out. Wish you the best....it is difficult, but with the right support, you can do anything.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

This diet, and others like it, are generally ranked pretty low among weight loss plans by nutrition and health professionals. Good for losing weight in the short-term if you can suffer through and stay on it. Bad for establishing a realistic long-term nutritional lifestyle and maintaining weight loss.

Yes, you are correct. You do have to start somewhere and find a solution that works for you. Everyone is different and that requires a different approach for each individual. The key to weight loss is to be consistent and to develop some physical activities. I hope that everyone can be as healthy and happy as possible and enjoy pinball! I’m rooting for you and hope that you can accomplish the goals you set

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Yes, you are correct. You do have to start somewhere and find a solution that works for you. Everyone is different and that requires a different approach for each individual. The key to weight loss is to be consistent and to develop some physical activities. I hope that everyone can be as healthy and happy as possible and enjoy pinball! I’m rooting for you and hope that you can accomplish the goals you set

Yep - losing weight is hard. Unfortunately, keeping it off is even harder for most people.

#26 4 years ago

Be glad your a man... it's easier for us IMO... I'm 5'10, and got up to 208 t my highest... no bueno. Felt like shit. I got down to 160...yes...48 pounds lighter... then my (now ex wife) said I was "to skinny", not a bad problem to have, right? Now hovering around 175 and happy.. it can be done brother. I did weight watchers program, if you follow it, it absolutely works IMO . Do it Man!

#27 4 years ago

Best of luck brotha you can do this. Keep working toward your goal and lean on the folks of the community when things get tough or you feel a bit discouraged.

1 week later
    #28 4 years ago
    Weight Loss Chart (2) (resized).pngWeight Loss Chart (2) (resized).png
    1 week later
    #29 4 years ago
    Weight Loss Chart week 2 (resized).pngWeight Loss Chart week 2 (resized).png
    #30 4 years ago

Keto baby. I lost right at 30 pounds in 3 months. Sugar is the white devil for sure

#31 4 years ago

I do two things that have changed my life and saved my life.

1. AIP (Auto-Immune Protocol ) Diet --> meat, fruits & vegetables only. It's basically a stricter version of Paleo/Keto designed to repair a leaky gut and get my arthritis under control.

2. 16/8 Fasting --> I.E. I eat from 10am-6pm then nothing until 10am the next day. It sounds hard, but it's very easy after a few days. By extending the non eating time interval out to 16 hrs, the body switches to Keto to burn fat as energy.

I recommend you do your own research on these methods. One or both of these components may be of tremendous help in your journey.

Good Luck & please feel free to PM me if you have questions.

#32 4 years ago

Great thread. Hope he gets to goal. Many more pinsiders need to attempt this.

#33 4 years ago

Disgusts me the death food being pushed and marketed to us daily.

Suggest gardening to him. Good excercise and great unadulterated food as the reward. Here are some heirlooms I have going right now.

E57A0032-59C0-427C-A020-C11BFF31FD89 (resized).jpegE57A0032-59C0-427C-A020-C11BFF31FD89 (resized).jpeg
    #34 4 years ago

Eating healthy is difficult and expensive. I've packed on the beer pounds over the last few years and just last week decided I was sick of this flabby stuff hanging over my belt. I traded in the beer for Vodka and have been doing my best to eliminate over eating and extra junk. I also started working out about 3 days a week. Damn am I sore!

I'm not really trying to hit a particular number, but to re-distribute it somewhere else. Maybe add a little mass and lose the gut.

#35 4 years ago

Tell RGR hes gonna have to work out 6 days per week. but more importantly, dont eat after 4pm. fasting between 4pm and 9 am works wonders.

also, no alcohol; otherwise the pounds just stay on due to the starch intake and reduction in testosterone that comes from alcohol and nicotine consumption.

in his case, dieting may be all he needs, but to speed it up, working out will be expedient.

this is coming from twenty years of fitness experience. i used to be a heavy drinker and eater, and i did not get really fit until i stopped drinking and started eating better and smaller portions.

best of luck

HOG

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

I do two things that have changed my life and saved my life.
    1. AIP (Auto-Immune Protocol ) Diet --> meat, fruits & vegetables only. It's basically a stricter version of Paleo/Keto designed to repair a leaky gut and get my arthritis under control.
    2. 16/8 Fasting --> I.E. I eat from 10am-6pm then nothing until 10am the next day. It sounds hard, but it's very easy after a few days. By extending the non eating time interval out to 16 hrs, the body switches to Keto to burn fat as energy.
    I recommend you do your own research on these methods. One or both of these components may be of tremendous help in your journey.
    Good Luck & please feel free to PM me if you have questions.

smart decisions for sure

#37 4 years ago

Wish him luck! I dropped 50 lbs years ago. Not hard, just requires a strong commitment and a ton of discipline. Doing it "publicly" like this is good; you know you can't fake it and you don't want to look like you can't do it. Good for him.

I do like his sense of humor...he probably goes 300+ lbs, and he takes his shoes off to get weighed

#38 4 years ago

Thanks Joe

#39 4 years ago
    Weight Loss Chart week 3 (resized).pngWeight Loss Chart week 3 (resized).png
    #40 4 years ago

Ah, dieting.. Anybody see that Scientific American article about hunter gatherers and metabolism? I question how they measured metabolism, but their findings are that weight is all about daily/average intake- exercise or not. They actually argue, for most types of exercise, your body will simply transfer the calories from other areas it is using calories for like immune system, etc... Have a beer, feel bad and work out a little more- odds are you will still gain weight if that beer puts you over 1800kcal/day. Crazy. It’s in SA, it must be true... until another study comes along and debunks everything.

#41 4 years ago
    Weight Loss Chart (4) (resized).pngWeight Loss Chart (4) (resized).png
    1 week later
    #42 4 years ago

Week 5: -0.8, 4.7 in total. Regular cardio started this week

Weight Loss Chart week 5 (resized).pngWeight Loss Chart week 5 (resized).png
    #43 4 years ago

Over 10 pounds lost. Right on track. Keep up the good work!

#44 4 years ago

go man go

I have lost 39 pounds this year and I want to lose maybe 10-15 more. BMI is an arbitrary number but it is my goal weight to be under a BMI of 25. 6'2" 193lbs is a good goal for me.

#45 4 years ago

The easiest way to lose weight is to not focus on losing weight.

Focus on living a healthy life...and everything will fall into place.

I lost 100 pounds in 10 months just by focusing on health and not weight.

Now I’m down 140.

Back in January, 20 months after changing my way of living, I completed the Dopey Challenge in Disney. 4 races in 4 days...5k, 10k, half marathon and full marathon.

I’m looking to do it again this January. The greatest feeling in the world was going from running out of breath walking up stairs, to 19 months later, doing the Dopey.

#46 4 years ago

To keep the train of positivity rolling:

I’m 5’10”, and prior to starting my health kick, I weighed over 250 lbs. Yikes.

I haven’t looked in the mirror for nearly 8 years, and hate pictures. I hate the way I feel, tired, hot, unmotivated, but due to some recent changes in life, I’ve decided that enough is enough.

I’ve committed to 3 simple rules:

—to consume at or below 2,000 calories a day.
    —not to eat anything with added sugars and nothing with carbonation.
    —If weather permits, I must bike to the gym, and workout. 6 days a week. Focusing on strength training.

My goal was simple: to be able to look in the mirror again and feel positive about my own body. Weight is secondary, though I do have a weight goal.

Since self control is hard for me, I downloaded an app called “Lose It!” To count my calories and to hold myself accountable. I also grabbed a Fitbit to yell at me whenever I’m sitting around too much, and to keep track of my heart rate.

It’s been a month, and I’m losing roughly 2 pounds a week. I feel that’s a safe and sustainable amount. Clothes are fitting looser already, my resting heart rate is down, and I have much more energy throughout the day. I feel much more positive about my daily outlook, and it’s really satisfying to work towards a goal that will be seen by everyone I encounter. I’ve also noticed that my cravings for sugar have declined significantly.

I wish Richard well in his endeavors, as well as anyone else who’s attempting something similar. It’s not easy, but every little milestone is super rewarding!

#47 4 years ago

I forgot to mention...get rid of that chart.

It will only lead to failure.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I forgot to mention...get rid of that chart.
    It will only lead to failure.

Its to show those who donated my progress.. If I fall under the red line next august all the money donated goes to charity. If I stay above it, see you at Pinburgh!

#49 4 years ago

Keep it up Richard!! It's a long road but you can do it, I know I lost 165 pounds before

This thread actually kicked me into gear again, started back with my healthy living again. I give up breads, sugars and alcohols. Eating lots of fresh vegetables and lean protein. Walk the dogs lots and walk for golf instead of a cart. So far i'm 14 pounds down but the biggest thing is my clothes fit better.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The easiest way to lose weight is to not focus on losing weight.
    Focus on living a healthy life...and everything will fall into place.
    I lost 100 pounds in 10 months just by focusing on health and not weight.
    Now I’m down 140.
    Back in January, 20 months after changing my way of living, I completed the Dopey Challenge in Disney. 4 races in 4 days...5k, 10k, half marathon and full marathon.
    I’m looking to do it again this January. The greatest feeling in the world was going from running out of breath walking up stairs, to 19 months later, doing the Dopey.

I can attest to Trekkie losing the weight. Trekkie worked and still works very hard on maintaining his weight. He looks great.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-my-pinball-friend-stop-being-fat-and-lose-110-pounds?hl=nihonmasa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.