(Topic ID: 48295)

HELP!, My new AC/DC just threw a bulb down the center...

By LindaN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Patofnaud
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

acdc_flippers2.jpg
ACDC_DMD.jpg
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

Never had a problem with these sockets and I run multiple route games with incandescent lamps that are powered up 24/7 lol...

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I would recommend the electric tape thing or a dab of silicone caulk for the bulbs in the spotlights though....those WILL vibrate out - but once you secure them in with a bit of silicone, they won't go anywhere.

any link to these electrical tape threads? I've tried searching in vain...

#53 10 years ago

Flynnibus, are you serious?

44s and 555s pull the same amount of current. The connector would burn either way.

#54 10 years ago

And this thread is about sockets, not connectors. Don't know where that came from...

#56 10 years ago

This is what I posted in the other thread:

Bend the wires on the bulb out of the way and put electrical tape on the bottom portion of the bulb. Bend the wires back into place and install. It won't come out again.

I will add to this statment. I cut the electrical tape so it is the width of the socketed portion of the bulb. I start with the tape on one side of the bulb and it wrap it around the bottom of the bulb and up the other side. Although it probably works fine, I don't wrap the tape around the bulb like the picture in the other thread. If you wrap the tape under the bulb like I explained, the tape will probably stay in place better when installing the bulb in the socket.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-throwing-an-led

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I maintain 20 year old beat Bally/Williams games and have NEVER had this trouble.

When AC/DC is 20 years old, all it's problems will be tended to as well,
and it will be trouble free too.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

When AC/DC is 20 years old, all it's problems will be tended to as well,
and it will be trouble free too.

Yeah that's the thing, Stern's issues involve fried boards, clearcoat issues, etc. that shouldn't happen right out of the box. I can understand if it's several years old with a few hundred thousand games on it. On top of that when you use poor playfield design with details that go against proven methods, you're asking for trouble.

#59 10 years ago

I did the whole tape thing on the bulbs, tightening up the pinchers on the factory bulb socket etc, and still lost the same bulb five times from the sling. I finally used the hot glue solution and all is fine.

The physical size of the LED 555 bulb base is somewhat different from the old glass 555 bulbs. Unfortunately Stern has not changed the design of their sockets to reflect that change, hence we are all losing LED bulbs now.

If you lose one more than once try the electrical tape cure. If you loose it again go right to the hot glue solution to make your life easier.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from LindaN:

I will definitely look that up.... sounds like something my husband should do.. am a little surprised that he needs to put electrical tape on a several thousand dollar machine.. this won't make him happy...

I've seen that too... but didn't think much of it... will it get worse?
Do you all think that this is just normal from shipping and everything needs to be tightened down? He can do that.....

The first thing you should do after you get your machine set up is go through the backbox and make sure all your board connectors are secure and that none have rattled loose during shipping. Check your dmd connections also.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Flynnibus, are you serious?
44s and 555s pull the same amount of current. The connector would burn either way.

One ingredient does not make a cake... nor a design that fails over time. It's not the bulb type that caused the burnt connectors - but how many.

Someone claimed B/W had this all figured out and flawless.. yetmany Williams games GI circuits burn up their boards over time. Not because of 555 vs 44.. but the load on the GI circuits (too many bulbs!)

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from mcc:

Throw the shakers in and have a blast!

Thank you all for so much help! You guys are the best. My husband just installed the Shaker on the ACDC. He is a perfectionist so he had to run the wiring perfectly and tie everything up... Am getting ready to play it.. at least this time he didn't have the balls falling out of the machine thanks to my advice to him to remove them first... couldn't have done it without everyone here at pinside. He will do the Tron tomorrow. Going to play my machines now. Thanks for everyones help..

#63 10 years ago

tron. you won't be playing that with the AC/DC next to it...

#64 10 years ago

A SMALL dab of super glue on the bulb base then put the light back in the socket, should solve that issue.. can you take a picture of the missing screws and I will compare to my Showroom floor AC/DC.

Not sure if you got your machine from us if you did please send me an email, you do have a defective display and it will need to be replaced to fix that line.

Pinball Machines always need a little work, other than the possible missing screws most of this sounds minor, and any of us on pinside should be able to help you out.

JJ

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

My ACDC DMD did the same thing -- I contacted my distro, Stern sent me a new one, I replaced it.
As far as the 555 bulbs popping out, use hot glue. Put a small dab of hot glue directly on the bulb and replace it. Problem solved. Enjoy your new game!

Same here too. Dim column on the dmd appeared sporadically and then just stayed. Stern sent me a new dmd with zero hassle.

#66 10 years ago

I had a couple of bulbs drop on mine too. Good thing I turned off the game before they fell into the trough. I used the electrical tape method and neither bulb has come free yet...

#67 10 years ago

I had a LED from the slingshot join the other 4 balls during my highest scoring 1st ball multiball on the game. Once I realized it was a LED, I decided to just go ahead and play it. Gotta say they are pretty durable.

#68 10 years ago

What are people using/where are they buying replacement LEDs for ACDC.

I'm missing a couple whites (at least I THINK the trough is empty...) and a red is out.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

tron. you won't be playing that with the AC/DC next to it...

Now that you mentioned it... I really do like Tron alot... Shaker or No Shaker....

Shaker will be tomorrow anyway...

Linda

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

What are people using/where are they buying replacement LEDs for ACDC.
I'm missing a couple whites (at least I THINK the trough is empty...) and a red is out.

The LED bulbs for AC/DC were supplied by cointaker.com. You can get exact replacements there. You should order 10 of each color so you have spares in the future.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

lol.

I did this mod to reduce the bulb SDTM issues....

Still not going to save you from those brutal side drains.

#72 10 years ago

That's not really considered breaking. Bulbs/LED's are just things that get flaky. If you want to own machines you need to learn quickly how to maintain them. It's not difficult. Lots of reading, watching repair videos and asking lots of questions and you'll be able to fix most machine in about a months time.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

It sounds like you need to raise one of the front legs. That way, the bulb will fall into a slingshot and you won't lose it

Ha, Ha, Ha,,, that was so funny!... Truth is my husband had read how to properly set these pinball machines up and how we are supposed to buy a 'proper' level from Lowe's and accurately set these properly , left & right, up & down, and .. blah, blah, blah...

But Truly,, he set them up straight out of the box,, didn't level anything,, and at this point it doesn't matter to me.... we are having too much fun!

(but I will have him do it right eventually.. )

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from LindaN:

Truth is my husband had read how to properly set these pinball machines up and how we are supposed to buy a 'proper' level from Lowe's and accurately set these properly , left & right, up & down, and .. blah, blah, blah...

Or just download the Smartphone App, XClinonometer.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Or just download the Smartphone App, XClinonometer

OK,... so is this for real?... if so I will download it... other than that what level from the home fix it store should I buy? I am not familiar with a level for a pinball machine...

#76 10 years ago

Yes it is Linda. Android app you can load off Google Play.

Just rotate your phone around and average the result because some phones are not perfectly flat on the back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
Machine - For Sale
Williamsburg, VA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-my-new-acdc-just-threw-a-bulb-down-the-center/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.