• 58 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ScreenHunter_063.jpg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Hey guys. I'm trying to help a friend. He needs some donations to be able to afford medication for a replacement kidney. Please consider helping , a few dollars goes a long way. And please share with your friends. Help a good guy out

https://www.gofundme.com/fundraiser-for-stanley-weaver039s-kidney-medication

If you want to donate via PayPal Friends and Family you can. The PayPal us [email protected]

Please put in the note that it is for Stanley Weavers Kidney Medication.

#2 5 years ago

Done. I only recently learned of the fact that before people can get an organ transplant, they have to go through a credit check. If they don't have the funds to pay for the ant-rejection meds afterwards, they don't get the donation. I understand the logic behind it, but it's heartbreaking for those who do not have the money.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

Done. I only recently learned of the fact that before people can get an organ transplant, they have to go through a credit check. If they don't have the funds to pay for the ant-rejection meds afterwards, they don't get the donation. I understand the logic behind it, but it's heartbreaking for those who do not have the money.

Yes it's sad. He has to prove he has the $15k or no transplant. I'm trying to help, but without other help I fear the worst

#4 5 years ago

Donated.

It took my dad 7 years of dialysis to find a match, it ended up coming from an angelic complete stranger.

Absolutely saved his life, and improved the quality of it 10000%. We’ve had another 7 amazing years since he had the transplant.

The fact your friend has found a match so soon is a huge gift, I really can’t believe our system puts a dollar value on a life like that. Shameful. Please wish your friend my best.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Donated.
It took my dad 7 years of dialysis to find a match, it ended up coming from an angelic complete stranger.
Absolutely saved his life, and improved the quality of it 10000%. We’ve had another 7 amazing years since he had the transplant.
The fact your friend has found a match so soon is a huge gift, I really can’t believe our system puts a dollar value on a life like that. Shameful. Please wish your friend my best.

Thank you so much!

I hope this works. His life is worth more than 15k

#6 5 years ago

Donated.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks guys you are the best!

Please share if you can on Facebook or Twitter.

#8 5 years ago

I had a Kidney Transplant 27 years ago. Maybe times have changed, but the credit check thing is crap. Also, there are companies that make anti-rejection meds that donate and give free meds to people. There are tons of resources out there for financial and med support. The one problem our system has though and why so many people freeload from the government is because they are given dire choices. They can bust their ass and work 80 hours a week to afford good insurance or just not work and get all the help they could want. I've been there done that and having an ailment like this leaves you not much choice to have a normal life. Always hoops to jump through to make it all work.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Donated.

Not only all off this, but the older you are the less priority they give you for a transplant. I got mine at 20 and got one within a year. Dialysis sucks big time and sucks the life out of you literally.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I had a Kidney Transplant 27 years ago. Maybe times have changed, but the credit check thing is crap. Also, there are companies that make anti-rejection meds that donate and give free meds to people. There are tons of resources out there for financial and med support. The one problem our system has though and why so many people freeload from the government is because they are given dire choices. They can bust their ass and work 80 hours a week to afford good insurance or just not work and get all the help they could want. I've been there done that and having an ailment like this leaves you not much choice to have a normal life. Always hoops to jump through to make it all work.

We're trying to get him help with the meds but nothing is panning out yet.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

We're trying to get him help with the meds but nothing is panning out yet.

It takes a lot of work and a lot of jumping through hoops to make stuff happen. The government will help, but they put severe restrictions on how much money you can earn to get the help. The problem he may have is making too much money to get help. For awile when I wasn't doing well financially I contacted the companies that make my meds and they will give free meds, but you have to meet certain criteria. Don't let him give up though its a ton of work to get help. Also his social case worker if they are good can dig up some great leads for him to use. If the Social worker is good they will have resources to help. They assign you Social worker when you are on the list for a transplant. I remember when I got close to the front of the line for a transplant they gave me a beeper and when it went off it was time to get to the hospital.

#12 5 years ago

Donated

#13 5 years ago

hailrazer I see that you are selling eight pins here and on Facebook, plus several arcade machines on Facebook. Are you donating any of the proceeds from these sales to help your friend? If people know that a close friend is making a nice donation it may motivate more strangers to donate

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

hailrazer I see that you are selling eight pins here and on Facebook, plus several arcade machines on Facebook. Are you donating any of the proceeds from these sales to help your friend? If people know that a close friend is making a nice donation it may motivate more strangers to donate

Yes but I don't want to point out what I do. I do not feel that is right for me to do.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:hailrazer I see that you are selling eight pins here and on Facebook, plus several arcade machines on Facebook. Are you donating any of the proceeds from these sales to help your friend? If people know that a close friend is making a nice donation it may motivate more strangers to donate

That's a good idea.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

I don’t understand the logic behind this. Nobody should have to die because of something as frivolous as money. The world is filled with money, but a loved ones health is a very special thing that nobody should have to suffer through. My wife’s friend needed a kidney transplant years ago, it took some time but he’s better now. I wish the best for you in finding a match and getting your friend the help they need to get well soon.

It’s so heartbreaking to me to hear these stories. If I lived 100 years ago, my wife and daughter would have both died on the delivery table during her birth. I thank science everyday for providing doctors with the tools to save the lives that they couldn’t before. If I didn’t live where I do, I would be financially destroyed from the help we received.

#17 5 years ago

I would contact Robin and suggest he sticky this.

#18 5 years ago

hailrazer I think it's admirable that you are selling some games in order to help out a friend. I'm happy to sticky this thread for a while and hope the extra publicity will result in some generous donations from our community

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from robin:

hailrazer I think it's admirable that you are selling some games in order to help out a friend. I'm happy to sticky this thread for a while and hope the extra publicity will result in some generous donations from our community

Thanks you so much! With this community's help I know we can help Stanley. He couldn't believe people that don't know him would help. I told him that all of the people I know in Pinball are quirky and intense, but they are also some of the most generous kind people I know.

Thanks

#20 5 years ago

done - good luck to your friend - it's sad you can get refused due to lack of $$ for meds... as if the meds /pharmaceuticals aren't way overpriced as it is.

#23 5 years ago

My dad had a kidney transplant that lasted 30 years before I donated mine to him in 2017. Happy to donate and I hope your buddy is able to get what he needs!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

I'll forward these to him and see

Those were the first few that came up in a simple search. I'd apply for every one I could fine. Happy to support the go-fund me, but probably best to be working toward as many of these as possible. IMO, they are more likely to get him there and protect him best from variables beyond what can be raised here.

Its a horrible spot and a shame its not part of his basic coverage. I know for the company I work with, you can get clinical support for transplants, they consult and make recommendations and might have line of site to even more options.

#25 5 years ago

Donated. You are a good man for helping your friend Hailrazer.

#26 5 years ago

Thanks to all that have donated!
We're getting there.

Please share if you can. It will help a lot

#27 5 years ago

Donated. Best of luck to your friend.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I don’t understand the logic behind this. Nobody should have to die because of something as frivolous as money. The world is filled with money, but a loved ones health is a very special thing that nobody should have to suffer through. My wife’s friend needed a kidney transplant years ago, it took some time but he’s better now. I wish the best for you in finding a match and getting your friend the help they need to get well soon.
It’s so heartbreaking to me to hear these stories. If I lived 100 years ago, my wife and daughter would have both died on the delivery table during her birth. I thank science everyday for providing doctors with the tools to save the lives that they couldn’t before. If I didn’t live where I do, I would be financially destroyed from the help we received.

Just to clarify, I don't approve, I was just saying that they are conforming to the current standards in place. I agree that it's preposterous that these policies are allowed to exist.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I don’t understand the logic behind this. Nobody should have to die because of something as frivolous as money. The world is filled with money, but a loved ones health is a very special thing that nobody should have to suffer through.

Money is a tool and simply a standard of measurement. Basically an equalizer. It facilitates the exchange of one's goods or services with another and is a commonly accepted form of trade, hence an equalizer.

The world is full of money, but no one is giving it away because their money represents their efforts to get it (unit of measurement). This includes family members.

I hate it when people infer money is evil, etc. That's like saying a crescent wrench is evil.

Op, I wish your friend well and I will donate.

#30 5 years ago

It's amazing to me that multi-millionaire pop stars and athletes can easily spend $15K on just one night of partying, or on a watch/jewelry, etc... Yet, here is a man who can die because he doesn't have $15K for some medicine. What is wrong with our society? Sad.

#31 5 years ago

Is there no way to send money via Paypal ??
It accepts only creditcard payment from germany.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I hate it when people infer money is evil, etc. That's like saying a crescent wrench is evil.

I agree that money is not evil. A system where someone might die because they can’t afford treatment is, imho.

I help pay the medical bills 35 million people everyday through taxes, so that people don’t have to live with the fear of not having enough money to get well. But this isn’t the time or place for that conversation.

I simply feel that good health is more important then a fat wallet, and that without one you shouldn’t be refused the other. Lives matter, not dollars.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Is there no way to send money via Paypal ??
It accepts only creditcard payment from germany.

Yes you can send via PayPal Friends and Family to [email protected]
Please be sure to make a note that it us fro Stanley Weavers Kidney Medication.

Thanks everyone.

Added over 5 years ago:

Sorry PayPal is [email protected]

#34 5 years ago

Donated. Good luck to your friend. He sounds like a great guy.

#35 5 years ago

Donated! Our family wishes the best for your friend.

#36 5 years ago

Donated .. all the best for your friend !!

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Stanley Weavers Kidney Medication

Quoted from rx3:

It's amazing to me that multi-millionaire pop stars and athletes can easily spend $15K on just one night of partying, or on a watch/jewelry, etc... Yet, here is a man who can die because he doesn't have $15K for some medicine. What is wrong with our society? Sad.

Welcome on planet earth !!!
In Germany a soccer "star" ate a steak covered with gold .... smother on it
I will not offend any US american ... but your social system is ... mhhh .... ähhhh ... yes ....

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Welcome on planet earth !!!
In Germany a soccer "star" ate a steak covered with gold .... smother on it
I will not offend any US american ... but your social system is ... mhhh .... ähhhh ... yes ....

Keep in mind there is a lot of propaganda fed to you about how your medical system is the best. As we probably have here. I work for a hospital. People aren't dying in the streets like you may hear in your media. It's interesting how many Canadians I deal with who come here for care and pay out of pocket. If your systems were that great this wouldn't be happening. I work with brits, Canadians, etc. They all say, "Trust me, you don't want socialized medicine here. Don't mess with what you have." It's similar to how a lot of foreigners that come here are surprised they don't see people dying in the streets from guns like the wild west and like your media projects to justify your strict gun confiscation laws. In fact, most of them want to move here after they visit.

No system is perfect. The difference here is people have a choice if they want to put their money towards care or not. Some want their cake and eat it too. Buy new cars and expect healthcare for free (which they pretty much get because they can't be turned down if they come to a hospital with urgent needs). In your countries, you don't. You're just taxed to hell and forced to like it and defend it.

Mods, if this it too political delete it. However, I felt a need to defend. Each system has their own benefits and negatives, but none are perfect, including those criticizing ours.

The problem with a post-truth society is all you have to do is seek someone that says what you want to hear and that becomes your reality. Confirmation bias and we are all guilty of it.

#39 5 years ago

Please no more posts about the system of health care in one country or another.

This is about helping my friend. Nothing else matters right now to me or him.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

#40 5 years ago

Donated. I hope it all works out for your friend.

#41 5 years ago

Thanks guys!

With the current donations we are 1/15 of the way there in 5 days!

Thanks for the donations, kind words and love sent.

I sold a pin today and the very kind gentleman who picked it up donated cash. He saw the post here and wanted to help. So cool and awesome.

The Pinside community rocks!

#42 5 years ago

Money sent and god bless....

#43 5 years ago

Donated by Paypal. Good luck to your friend.
I also have some kidney problems (CRF) due to uncontrolled diabetes, although I have not reached such serious extremes, it is really complicated.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Donated by Paypal. Good luck to your friend.
I also have some kidney problems (CRF) due to uncontrolled diabetes, although I have not reached such serious extremes, it is really complicated.

Thanks so much for the donation!

I'm sorry you have kidney problems.
I've had type 1 diabetes for 25 years. I try my best to control it and so far haven't had any kidney problems. I hope it stays that way.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Thanks so much for the donation!
I'm sorry you have kidney problems.
I've had type 1 diabetes for 25 years. I try my best to control it and so far haven't had any kidney problems. I hope it stays that way.

My diabetes was type 2, due to a bad diet, high in carbohydrates, mainly sweets (ice cream, chocolates, chips, Coke ...) and not doing any analytics for years.

Now it is not diabetes, because I have a diet, but I suffer from insulin resistance, I have to limit the consumption of carbohydrates a lot or the blood glucose goes up quickly and remains high for many hours. The problem is that the kidneys were affected, and that also limits me the consumption of protein foods, because the kidneys do not eliminate correctly the toxins (ammonia, uric acid) and phosphorus (this produces itching in the skin when it accumulates in blood). I think I still have time to solve the problem, if I have a strict diet and I have blood glucose controls.

For now I control everything with diet, I do not need any drug.

#46 5 years ago

Donated a second time around, this time via paypal. Best wishes to your friend.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Donated a second time around, this time via paypal. Best wishes to your friend.

Thank you so much! You have been very generous!

We're getting there. Slowly but surely. I wish there was a way for more people to see this, but I'm not all that connected on Social Media. Hate to say but I've been avoiding it like the plague for the last 10 years. Maybe I should have been more hip and up to date.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Thank you so much! You have been very generous!
We're getting there. Slowly but surely. I wish there was a way for more people to see this, but I'm not all that connected on Social Media. Hate to say but I've been avoiding it like the plague for the last 10 years. Maybe I should have been more hip and up to date.

Pinside is the closest thing to social media that I interact with so I understand. Real cool of you to do this for your friend.

God bless and best wishes!

#49 5 years ago

Tell your friend he has got a great friend!

#50 5 years ago

Donated.

I just want to add that your friend needs to speak with the financial person at the hospital. They will get him his medication at no cost through working with other agencies that will help pay for them. I have a little experience and although I did not need the financial assistance, they basically ask what you can afford to spend on the medication and make it work for you. There are a lot of unforeseen issues that come up in life. Just because someone can afford the medications today does not mean they will have that ability in 6 months if they lost their job or insurance. They understand this and they do work with people. He needs to speak to the hospital and spend some time with the financial liaison there.

The biggest issue they have and the reason they deny transplants is due to lifestyle choices. Not suggesting your friend would not meet those requirements, but they went over that a TON and took it very seriously. Medical technology is an amazing thing. Just the idea that we can transplant organs is mind blowing to me and I am grateful for that every day. The biggest thing most people do not realize is that a transplant is not a permanent solution. The average lifespan of a kidney transplant is 10 years.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-my-friend-get-a-kidney-transplant/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.