(Topic ID: 48536)

HELP! My AC/DC just lost it's flipper!.. DEAD FLIPPER!

By LindaN

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

HELP! My AC/DC just lost it's flipper!.. DEAD FLIPPER!

Ok,,.. Please help all... I just bought my AC/DC and Tron last week ago Wednesday. So now I have owned them both for 1 week and 1 day... (today is Thursday)...

Tonite I was playing AC/DC (awesome game) and during the game I held the left flipper in play while I answered the phone and was talking a few minutes... then the ball drained and I figured it was a timeout or something... But now the left flipper does not work at all!... I turned the machine off and then on again... still no left flipper... NOTHING!....

So help me out guys... is there something I'm missing?.. Did I blow a fuse? Did I hold the flipper in to long? (obviously)... what did I do wrong? Honestly? I need some help.....

Please help me......

Thank you,

Linda

#2 11 years ago

I would check the flipper fuse under the playfield.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I would check the flipper fuse under the playfield

Thank you so much... Where is this located?? And is there a bunch of extra fuses to replace it with? Kinda like my car??

#4 11 years ago

Yes similar but buss fuses most likely. You can buy replacements at your local hardware store. Note get the exact value of fuse and pay attention if it is slow blow or quick blow type.

Best of luck

#5 11 years ago

The fuse is located under the flipper. Just lift the playfield and you should be able to locate it right away. If its blown just replace the 1 fuse. My fuse blew on my tron within a week of owning.

#6 11 years ago

I believe it's a 3 amp slow blow. But I maybe wrong. Just check the fuse carefully or take it to radio shack.

#7 11 years ago

best way to check is to remove it and put your ohm meter or DMM on ohm setting and check for continuity. The closer to 0 resistance the better. If it shows some really high number for resistance than it is broken in the middle and needs replaced. Or sometimes visual inspection will be enough to see the break.

#8 11 years ago

OK,,, so now I have real problems... I lifted the playfield,,, found the fuse that you are all talking about... found an extra fuse (exact) in the goodie bag.... installed it and........ then turned on the machine.

The left flipper was like stuck up for 1 seconds and then blew that same fuse that I just put in it.....

Still no left flipper and don't think replacing the fuse (that I don't have now) will do any good.

Please help,

Linda

#9 11 years ago

Oh crap. Sounds like a driver transistor to me. You need to call Stern & talk to Chaz. Tell him everything you said here,& he'll help you out. You may need board work. Never had this problem on a Stern but sh|t happens.

#10 11 years ago

I bet you fried the transistor I know a guy that held the flipper up for a extended time while in multiball and had the transistor fail.. Sorry for your bad luck . It won't be a too bad to fix if you can find someone to help you with the board repair .

Jim

#11 11 years ago

This is an extremely common problem with stern games going all the way back to Sega whitestar. Holding the flipper button can rarely fry and short the transistor which then blows the fuse. As soon as you replace the fuse, the flipper is immediately energized until the fuse blows. You probably blew the board transistor. I believe it's q15 for the left and q16 for the right flipper (common enough problem that I have these memorized). These are easy to replace if you have soldering skills. The replacement parts you can get for $3 are stronger and won't blow out again. If you'd rather you can just go for warranty. But this type of problem is something you should learn how to solve as a pinball owner

Here are the transistors. I usually stock a few of these and a few tip 102's. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=190

#12 11 years ago

LindaN,

This happened on my Tron. Tell Chas at Stern, 1-800-KICKERS. They will advance replace your driver board in the backbox. Easy swap.

You will need to use the key inside of your coin door and unlock the lock at the top of the back box. Then lift and pull the translite.

You'll need to replace the fuse again and you should be good to go.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

LindaN,

This happened on my Tron. Tell Chas at Stern, 1-800-KICKERS. They will advance replace your driver board in the backbox. Easy swap.

You will need to use the key inside of your coin door and unlock the lock at the top of the back box. Then lift and pull the translite.

You'll need to replace the fuse again and you should be good to go.

Oh, Thank you so much........ I've been reading the other responses... and yes, my husband is handy... and I am as well... But!! soldering on a new pinball machine is something we look forward to in 25 years!... not today!..

We can replace boards I suppose... like you said 'Easy Swap'... (I hope )

I will call them tomorrow, ..... Again,, thank you so much!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I bet you fried the transistor I know a guy that held the flipper up for a extended time while in multiball and had the transistor fail.. Sorry for your bad luck . It won't be a too bad to fix if you can find someone to help you with the board repair .
Jim

Yep I've heard the same.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from LindaN:

Oh, Thank you so much........ I've been reading the other responses... and yes, my husband is handy... and I am as well... But!! soldering on a new pinball machine is something we look forward to in 25 years!... not today!..
We can replace boards I suppose... like you said 'Easy Swap'... (I hope )
I will call them tomorrow, ..... Again,, thank you so much!

I agree if its brand new you shouldn't need to. But if your expectation is 25 years you are a bit out of line there and should reset your expectations. I own a lot of sterns. I've had to replace the flipper solenoid transistors on either q15 or q16 in:
Tron (bought nib), 24, lord of the rings, Spider-Man (bought nib), Batman dark knight, acdc ( bought nib), maybe more. Last time tron one died I had 40 people over. Yanked the board and had it all repaired and running again inside 15 minutes. It's a very easy repair once you learn it.

#16 11 years ago

Aaaaaah good on you STERN.. the achilles heel of any pinball machine are the coils and from 1977/78 onwards we have had them taking out transistors and sometimes more ( depending on backwash).. this problem is demonstrated perfectly with GOTTLIEB system1.. how those Spider chips fried..

.. Roll on 35 years and modern pinball manufacturer (s?) still dont have this path diode protected.
Holding a flipper button should never blow the transistor.. very very poor Stern

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Retropin:

Aaaaaah good on you STERN.. the achilles heel of any pinball machine are the coils and from 1977/78 onwards we have had them taking out transistors and sometimes more ( depending on backwash).. this problem is demonstrated perfectly with GOTTLIEB system1.. how those Spider chips fried..

.. Roll on 35 years and modern pinball manufacturer (s?) still dont have this path diode protected.
Holding a flipper button should never blow the transistor.. very very poor Stern

These transistors blow I think because of the way Stern uses a pulsing HV instead of a low voltage for the flipper hold. I have never seen this myself on b/w, but with Sterns, I've seen it here and there, and it's more common than fuses for bad flippers.

I don't like this design. It is what makes the noisy rattling sometimes you here when holding, and I'm sure it results in much faster wear on plungers and stops.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I agree if its brand new you shouldn't need to.

Thank you... I don't want to either...

Quoted from markmon:

Last time tron one died I had 40 people over. Yanked the board and had it all repaired and running again inside 15 minutes. It's a very easy repair once you learn it.

Am looking forward to learning to fix it somewhere down the road. (soldering). But for now I have contacted Trent at Tilt Amusements and he seems to be a great guy and is going to take care of it and have Stern send us a new 'driver' board. So question is how difficult is this to replace... no soldering I hope.

Also,, since I have a crippled ACDC for the weekend... is it stupid to think that my husband and I can still play? We are going to call it "Advance Competition Mode" But truly I still want to play and the games between us would still be fair since we both have the same disadvantage.

If playing this way would screw it up more then let me know please...

Thanks

#19 11 years ago

I played my Tron with a dead flipper until the board showed up. It's not going to hurt anything to play it crippled.

#20 11 years ago

And no, you don't have to do any soldering to replace the board. Disconnect the electrical connectors, remove a couple screws, and your all set. You'll be up and running in 10 minutes once the new board arrives.

#21 11 years ago

If I were you, I wouldn't play with a dead flipper...
I'd buy a new pin to help you through this "tough time" until you get ACDC fixed.
: )

#22 11 years ago

If you really want to, you could probably move the tron pro board into acdc while you wait. Then tron would be down instead.

#23 11 years ago

How long had you held the flipper prior to the blown transistor?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

I played my Tron with a dead flipper until the board showed up. It's not going to hurt anything to play it crippled.

Cool,,, I'm ready to play. Might learn some new 'one flipper' techniques.

Quoted from mmuglia:

And no, you don't have to do any soldering to replace the board. Disconnect the electrical connectors, remove a couple screws, and your all set. You'll be up and running in 10 minutes once the new board arrives

Next question: Will they send me a new board since I purchased one week ago? Or will this be a 're-furbished' replacement board for warranty? We work in the computer electronics industry and this is how it is done all the time. I don't want a refurbished warranty board.

Quoted from Chambahz:

If I were you, I wouldn't play with a dead flipper...
I'd buy a new pin to help you through this "tough time" until you get ACDC fixed.
: )

Good idea! That's exactly what I will do!... but which one will arrive first? Hmmmmm.....

Quoted from markmon:

If you really want to, you could probably move the tron pro board into acdc while you wait. Then tron would be down instead.

But I want to play them both...

Quoted from Rick432:

How long had you held the flipper prior to the blown transistor?

Probably 10 minutes... I know... I shouldn't talk on the phone that long while playing pinball. My husband has told me so....

Linda

#25 10 years ago

If you replace the transistor rather than replace the board, the improved transistor would handle that without dying.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

If you replace the transistor rather than replace the board, the improved transistor would handle that without dying.

Agreed. This really makes me wonder why Stern hasn't upgraded to this transistor already. Too expensive to redo the board specs? Stern doesn't care enough to make the change? Solution seems easy enough to me, but I must be missing something.

#27 10 years ago

So, here's a question from a technical n00b:

Linda says she held the flipper up for 10+ minutes. Let's say that she didn't do this. If she had energized the flipper thousands of times racking up the equivalent of 10 minutes of a held flipper, would the transistor also die? Or is there something inherently different (and destuctive) about holding the flipping energized for so long.

Does the other side have this problem, too?

#28 10 years ago

Any time you 'turn' a transistor on, there's a chance it can fail. Stuff lasts longer when you don't turn it on.

Quoted from BrianBannon:

This really makes me wonder why Stern hasn't upgraded to this transistor already.

Maybe they have ~10k driver boards already in the warehouse? Bet they're all the same revision.

While you're waiting for the new board Linda, go into your Standard Settings menu and enable Coin Door Ballsaver. By default, it's turned off. With it on, you can open the coin door in the middle of a ball (to pick up the phone, go to the bathroom, etc), then pick right back up where you left off. Just close the coin door and a ball will be auto-plunged. Timers will run out, but you won't lose your ball.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So what do you guys suggest? I have a guy that works next door to my work that does pinball repair and he is in the pinball industry... should I have him fix it better? Or will Stern ship me a 1 year old re-furbished board for my 1 week old $7,000 machine?

Please, all honest opinions always appreciated.

#30 10 years ago

I'd have him put in the upgraded transistor. Stern will send you a new board but the repaired one would be superior plus it would be done right away. Stern warranty can take a couple weeks or more. Just make sure he will use the upgraded IRL540N rather than the original.

#31 10 years ago

Stern had my board to me in about 4 days. I do believe it is a refurbished board.

#32 10 years ago

Have your guy install the upgraded transistor so you don't have to be without your game for the weekend with the same problem ever again.

#33 10 years ago

My 2 cents.. Definitely bad transistor, however also make sure to ohm out the flipper coil. The transistor frying could also be caused by a faulty coil, and or the locked on transistor could have overheated the coil and melted the sleeve.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'd have him put in the upgraded transistor. Stern will send you a new board but the repaired one would be superior plus it would be done right away. Stern warranty can take a couple weeks or more. Just make sure he will use the upgraded IRL540N rather than the original.

Do this. I had this happen on 2 new games. ACDC and Tron LE. No problems after the fix. I felt the same way Linda did about a new game breaking. Since we are not going to motivate Stern to change their board parts, better to just fix it and move on.

Minor issues aside, it's still a really nice product.

#36 10 years ago

I can't believe nobody has said this, but if the flipper is stuck up when you turn the game on... DON'T FREAKIN' PLAY IT!!! If your transistor is blown, and the coil is getting voltage any time a game is started, that coil is going to get hot, smoke, PROBABLY melt, and then potentially catch FIRE if you continue to ignore it.

I am assuming that the fuse blew, the flipper went back down, and that it doesn't come up any more. If that's correct, then yes, playing on one flipper ain't going to kill anything. Practice backhanding ramps. If it's still stuck up, REMOVE the fuse until you get a fixed driver board. That way you don't damage anything else.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I can't believe nobody has said this, but if the flipper is stuck up when you turn the game on... DON'T FREAKIN' PLAY IT!!! If your transistor is blown, and the coil is getting voltage any time a game is started, that coil is going to get hot, smoke, PROBABLY melt, and then potentially catch FIRE if you continue to ignore it.
I am assuming that the fuse blew, the flipper went back down, and that it doesn't come up any more. If that's correct, then yes, playing on one flipper ain't going to kill anything. Practice backhanding ramps. If it's still stuck up, REMOVE the fuse until you get a fixed driver board. That way you don't damage anything else.

In the first post, it was stated that the fuse was blown and current state is that the fuse is blown with no flipper activity.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I am assuming that the fuse blew, the flipper went back down, and that it doesn't come up any more. If that's correct, then yes, playing on one flipper ain't going to kill anything. Practice backhanding ramps.

You are correct. After replacing the fuse the flipper went 'UP' for about 1 second and then the fuse blew again.

I did take your advice and played with one flipper for a few games. Wow!,, who knew? You can learn some strategy by letting the ball just bounce off the dead flipper and still keep the ball in play...

Thanks

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from LindaN:

So what do you guys suggest? I have a guy that works next door to my work that does pinball repair and he is in the pinball industry... should I have him fix it better? Or will Stern ship me a 1 year old re-furbished board for my 1 week old $7,000 machine?
Please, all honest opinions always appreciated.

If I was local I'd just come over and and do it for you! A friend's Tron had the same exact problem - I put on a new transistor for them, good as new. Any local Pinsiders up for being a good samaritan?

If no takers- you're under warranty - hopefully Stern can get you a new one soon.

#40 10 years ago

Also if you are pulling one flipper transistor, do both. Might as well upgrade them to the 540 transistors. Odds are if you do just one the other one will go at some point.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Just make sure he will use the upgraded IRL540N rather than the original.

You know it is a shame... I appreciate you guys so much and I will most likely do what you suggest since I have pinball contacts... and know people that are in the industry and can do this for me..... I don't know the part numbers of the transistor but you guys have provided it for me....

It is just a shame that I have to sit and look at a pinball machine that I can't play... don't want to void my 1 week old warranty ....and know that I can have it fixed by qualified people with better transistors with just a phone call...

Bummmed..........

#42 10 years ago

Warranty is not quite what you might imagine. Although a very objective term, it's no Best Buy return it even if you pee on it type of deal.

Overall, you will learn much more about the game getting it fixed locally and watching the repair.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Warranty is not quite what you might imagine. Although a very objective term, it's no Best Buy return it even if you pee on it type of deal.

Overall, you will learn much more about the game getting it fixed locally and watching the repair.

I talked to my local pinball repair guy today and asked for his help & advice. He did comment that replacing with anything other than what it was designed for might be a problem. (He has been schooled to replace only as designed, but has done this a 100 times). He is more than happy to help me out and replace it but suggested that I might just wait for the replacement board since Stern was sending me out a whole NEW board anyway. My only concern was that it was 'actually new' instead of someones elses 1 year old board that maybe has 10,000 plays on it with one transistor replaced.

#44 10 years ago

But!!,, Since I am new and you guys are the Pros.... If you INSIST... I will have my guy replace it with the 540's and do both of them. I will have my husband pull the board... it has to be done anyways. Just don't want to void any warranty issues down the road.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from LindaN:

But!!,, Since I am new and you guys are the Pros.... If you INSIST... I will have my guy replace it with the 540's and do both of them. I will have my husband pull the board... it has to be done anyways. Just don't want to void any warranty issues down the road.

Tough call. Replace transistors locally and void your warranty, or wait an extended period of time for a replacement board. If it was me I'd already of changed the transistors

#46 10 years ago

Let us know when the game is rocking again.

#47 10 years ago

Pinball machines are servicable. You do not void your warrant by replacing parts. This isn't a blender you buy at target. If your pinball tech won't install an IRL540N because he is worried its not the right part, he is probably too stupid to be working on the machine. Find another. There are no worries about voiding warranty either. If you do the swap you can still get stern to replace the board.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

If your pinball tech won't install an IRL540N, he is probably too stupid to be working on the machine.

Or he just like the repeat business.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Pinball machines are servicable. You do not void your warrant by replacing parts. This isn't a blender you buy at target. If your pinball tech won't install an IRL540N because he is worried its not the right part, he is probably too stupid to be working on the machine. Find another. There are no worries about voiding warranty either. If you do the swap you can still get stern to replace the board.

Couldn't agree with you more. Definitely use the IRL540N Transistors. Anything but would be STUPID.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from LindaN:

It is just a shame that I have to sit and look at a pinball machine that I can't play...
Bummmed..........

Lesson learned: Don't hold the flipper for 10 minutes while on the phone

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-my-acdc-just-lost-its-flipper-dead-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.