(Topic ID: 262595)

Help Moving a Gorgar - Buying My First Pin!

By Steveoshoots

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

My wife and I are making a drive Monday to buy a Gorgar (her favorite theme) that we found for a great price. We know nothing about moving pins. Any tips/help is much appreciated! (What tools will we need, etc)

I know we need to bring ratchet strap(s) to ratchet the back box to the cabinet (if folding onto the cab). Cardboard to put between the back and cab. But - I see that some people say it's better to remove the entire back box. Thoughts? I know nothing about the connections that I'd have to disconnect. What's our best bet? Roughly a 4 hour drive 95% highway miles.

#2 4 years ago

Bring an assortment of tools. All you have. Wrenches, sockets, screw drivers, etc. etc.

There is know way of knowing if the game has the original nuts, bolts, and screws. So an assortment of sizes will help.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Not a Gorgar. This will help you know what you are getting into.

LTG : )

#4 4 years ago

If you take the back box off, first snap some good high res pics of the boards. It will give you something to go by for re-installing the connectors properly.

I did this thread a while ago. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-behead-or-not-to-behead It depends on the situation as far as taking the back box off or just laying it down. Any time you are in a trickier house to get the pin out of, taking off the BB is a no-brainer.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Steveoshoots:

My wife and I are making a drive Monday to buy a Gorgar (her favorite theme)

Well, now that is a rarity! Usually it's being sold BECAUSE of the wives!

On top of the tools, I suggest bringing a strong buddy.

#6 4 years ago

>>My wife and I are making a drive Monday to buy a Gorgar (her favorite theme) that we found for a great price. We know nothing about moving pins. Any tips/help is much appreciated! (What tools will we need, etc)

Send your wife and her hottest, sluttiest friend in your truck.

No tools needed.

#7 4 years ago

Congratulations!!!! Enjoy the Fun!

#8 4 years ago

Don't take the back box off unless you absolutely have to. I don't think that game was made with a fold down head. If you have a pick up truck you can remove the back legs and slide it into the bed and then remove the front legs. And if a pick up truck is your moving vehicle I strongly suggest wrapping the back box with stretch wrap or something similar or taking the glass out of the back box.You don't want the back glass blowing out while you're on the highway. The game is heavy. Bring some muscle with you.

#11 4 years ago

It's way easier to handle by beheading it - label all the connectors you take off, that's the era of williams where 2 of the connectors will mate but they shouldn't be connected, and it wasn't consistent black to black and natural to natural - sometimes they were cross connected.

The head is actually heavier than the body of the machine since the transformer's in the head - so it's harder to move the head because of the weight, the body is hard to move because of the bulk, but ultimately I find it easier to take the head off these games, especially if you're moving it in an SUV.

If you're putting it in a pickup truck, put the head with the BG facing the front of the bed with cardboard or a piece of plywood protecting the BG area, then bumper the back of the body right up against it. Run a ratchet strap on your tiedowns around the entire package and make it snug (put corner braces on the front of the cab if you're worried about damage).

Whatever you end up doing always secure the game to the bed of the truck.... you don't want it slamming around as you drive, and it will, especially if you have a slippery bedliner.

You might as well learn how to connect/disconnect the head now because at some point in the future, you're going to need to know how to do that anyway.

Oh, and take the ball out of the game so it doesn't fly around the playfield.

#12 4 years ago

When I got my first pin (which was also a Gorgar!) I left the head attached. When I told my buddy who has about 20 pins that I did that, he told me I was a fool. The motion of the vehicle causes the head to rock which can mess up the threads that secure the head bolts. Now when I'm moving old pins that don't have foldable heads, I leave everything connected in the head, pull the head bolts at the base of the head, put a blanket over the playfield where the head will go, and lay the head down on top of the playfield. There should be enough slack in the wiring that it won't cause you any issues. I also ratchet strap the head to the body to secure it. It's significantly heavier to move that way, but it's not too bad if you have two decently strong people.

#13 4 years ago

I typically like to transport the game with the BG in place. However i always secure the light panel so it cannot swing open and damage the art. I do this by installing a screw on the metal latch so it cannot lift up. Ideally you can lock the head to keep BG secured in place, otherwise just keep an eye on the BG when lifting the head back up to make sure it isnt coming out.

#14 4 years ago

Make sure the owner has the keys. Else you will have to drill the locks. So in that case bring a drill and various bits. Luckily I only came across that once so far at an estate sale and my offer on the machine was too low amyway.

#15 4 years ago

Welp it looks like you removed the connectors and got lost along the way!
Let's help this guy get back on track, eh pinside?
I'm sure one of them was just plugged in wrong!
https://www.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-wont-start-just-bought-first-pin

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-moving-a-gorgar-buying-my-first-pin?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.