(Topic ID: 139183)

Help: Metallica dies mid ball (as if ball has drained)

By JimBoSS

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yzfguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Having a weird issue with my Metallica Premium.

At random in the middle of a game the flippers go dead and the DMD plays the end of ball bonus stuff.

It happens randomly at first i thought it may be tilting but i am not getting any tilt warnings or messages, i even removed the tilt weight out to test it and still happens.

As far as the game is concerned it thinks I have drained a ball when the ball is still in play.

Its not a particular target that triggers it the ball could be anywhere.

Not sure where to start searching so hoping i can get some tips on where to look to resolve the issue.

#2 4 years ago

Did you try snooping around the ball trough optos for a loose connector? If a wire has wiggled loose, perhaps it senses a ball draining when it actually hasn't.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Did you try snooping around the ball trough optos for a loose connector? If a wire has wiggled loose, perhaps it senses a ball draining when it actually hasn't.

I had a quick look couldn't find anything, will take a better look now

#4 4 years ago

More than likely a problem in your through

Try disconnecting those wires and reconnection them and check the switchs

#5 4 years ago

THis could be from using Premium Balls // if you changed the balls in recent weeks with premium balls , they have become magnetized and sits irregular from the metal in the trough . during play it will shift and the switch gets triggered . I have to use crap carbon core balls in my Spiderman/MetPrem/Johnny Mnemonic due to this..

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

I have to use crap carbon core balls in my spiderman/MetPrem/Johnny Mnemonic due to this..

I've had no problem with pinballlife.com ultra shineys. They're carbon core and work well in games with magnets...

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

#7 4 years ago

It's got nothing to do with the pinballs.

It's those legendarily bad connectors at the trough switches. Reseat those two connectors and the problem will stop. For a while. This plagues many games from this era including Tron.

I think stern fixed this issue? Maybe they'll send you a fix kit.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's those legendarily bad connectors at the trough switches. Reseat those two connectors and the problem will stop. For a while. This plagues many games from this era including Tron.

I had the exact same issue. Reseat both connectors on the trough and your problem will (hopefully) go away.

// Error: Image 435071 not found //

#9 4 years ago

Ok ok. Anyway . Options and more things to look for always helps.. My SM I just sold . The new owner did not like the balls I had in it.. he changed em ,, Then calls me asking if I have ball trough issues before.. My exact quote was yes.. Either the Connectors at the Trough or the Balls are magnetized.. Either or.. He had changed balls.. He put back old balls . Problem solved.. So good luck to you and hope you fix it.. Wouldn't mind knowing what was the cause once fixed.. Not for the Told you so but just for future people searching for fixes
Play More Pinball

#10 4 years ago

Same thing happened on my Met Pro last week. One of the connectors was loose.

#11 4 years ago

Thanks for all the posts,
I am using the pinballife premium balls but have been using them for over a year

I took a closer look at the connectors and reseated them, got through a few games with no issue, fingers crossed that was it.

I might email stern and see what Kit they have for it if any.

thanks again for the responses!

Jim

#12 4 years ago

I had same issue. Just reseating trough optics has worked no problems since.

#13 4 years ago

My POTC has those connectors. I was having similar issues and this worked for me: I unplugged each connector, put a tiny dab of hot glue on the notched side, and reseated it. This has held for a while now, while before I was having to reseat them repeatedly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside