Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tomdotcom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

As you can see from my ratings page, I do not favor the Pinball 2000 machines highly. Yet, so many pinheads who I admire love and own the machines. I have only played RFM and SWE1 one time each, so maybe it is just a different style of game I would grow to like, or maybe I am missing some intriguing element these games have to offer. Just wondering if anyone can educate my ignorance or agree with my current lack of enthusiasm towards these two pins.

#2 8 years ago

Just wondering if anyone can educate my ignorance or agree with my current lack of enthusiasm towards these two pins.

If you like the movie, theme or sport chances are you like the pin...

#3 8 years ago

I have only played RFM and at first I really did not care for it but ,after a while the technological aspect grew on me as well as the humor in it.I really like it now and would love to try SWE1 too! Hopefully Gene will get going on Wizard blocks later this year or early next year...

#4 8 years ago

I've had two RFM pin 2000 machines and still have one SWE1 machine. I guess it's just a thing of having something like them in your collection. Many people actually like the play of the RFM better than the SWE1 but the Star Wars tie-in theme brings more people to that one.

One of the hardest things bringing these back is the older CGA CRT they require and those are getting really hard to find. Until your posting I even forgot to put it on my collection list.

#5 8 years ago

I like mine for the fact that they are different from every other pin out there, and always will be. I agree they aren't for everyone, but anyone can play them. It brings pinball to those who normally wouldn't try a machine. And they do play extremely well.

Star wars lacks abit in the modes aspect with the center shot being the main gimick to the "holograms". But it makes up for ot in soundtrack, theme and lightshow.

Revenge from mars is a great all around pin with varing modes and shots. The theme is fantastic, artwork is fantastic, Sounds and humor are great.

If you play them a bit more you will find that they really grow on you.

Technically speaking they are amazingly easy to service and maintain. If Pin 2000's were still in production every other machine ever produced would be obsolete. They are a piece of pinball history. Makes you think what could have been, they could have possibly changed the face of pinball as we know it.

I'm glad they tried, but also kind of glad they failed.

#6 8 years ago

Revenge from mars is a great all around pin with varing modes and shots. The theme is fantastic, artwork is fantastic, Sounds and humor are great.

Well, I love AFM but also find RFM much harder to love........

#7 8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. And simonakapw, I completely agree, I love AFM. Maybe in time I could learn to love RFM and STE1. They deserve more than one play.

#8 8 years ago

Just wondering if anyone can educate my ignorance or agree with my current lack of enthusiasm towards these two pins ...

Some people like them, some don't. It's as simple as that. I happen to be a big fan of Pinball 2000, and I think RFM is one of the best pins ever made. I could sit here and tell you all the things I like about it, but at the end of the day, it's not really going to sway your decision. I do think it's unfair, however, to judge a game after only one play. There are a number of pins that I disliked at first, but grew to really appreciate after many plays.

#9 8 years ago

RFM and SW:E1 are both amazing games. If you think of the state of pinball as it was in 1999 and what they managed to create in such a short period in that basement of the Williams factory I can only put my hands together for the pin 2000 team.

Having said that, I immediately admit that the way they play is not my favorite type of game. The machines are quite small and the back of the playfield is (it had to be!) dark for the hologram effect to work. This makes for a really tiny play area. The fan layout of RFM is very limited and centered around that middle shot.

But if you are lucky enough to have space for 5 or more machines, you just need to have a pin2k in the lineup for the occasional game! The graphics are top notch and shooting targets that really explode resembles computer pinball - but with a real ball! Not the best playing games in pinball, but unique and a lot of fun to play with friends (there's a lot there for spectators too).

#10 8 years ago

Would you judge a woman in bed the first time ? And her you ? Think about that

I kinda wish I'd kept both .. but oh well ... you can't always have "two" of them or it will get you in big trouble

#11 8 years ago

mykquillion,

Have you ever seen the documentary "Tilt: The Battle to Save Pinball"? It will give you a whole new appreciation of what these guys managed to achieve in such a short period of time.

#12 8 years ago

The Pin2K system is very repetitive, but then again most pinball is. RFM is a fun rule set deep game, which allows play for 15-45 minutes if you are good with flippers and fast ball action. However, the game runs its course for me, as hitting the same mostly straight away shots grows old quick. SW:EP1 is not as good as a game, the movie about P2K spells it out pretty quickly.

#13 8 years ago

I'm going to grab a Rfm tomorrow, deep rulesets are great but fun is the number one goal. Look at medieval madness, keep destroying castles by hitting the same area. By adding an awesome toy like the castle with the moat bridge and gate and lighting and side objectives to compliment it the "repetition" is extremely fun and satisfying while remaining accessible to newcomers. I really admire the technology and innovation in the p2k machines and really look forward to playing it. I'll let you know what I think after tomorrow....

#14 8 years ago

Wasn't really a big fan of those pin2000s
but I guess on the home game room when set up for free play you could go deep into the rule set - especially if your a fan of Star Wars.

almost begs the question what the next couple of pin2000 titles would of been
had they survived

#15 8 years ago

I like RFM and wouldn't mind one in my collection. Not so much for SW even though I am a fan of the theme.

#16 8 years ago

One of the hardest things bringing these back is the older CGA CRT they require and those are getting really hard to find. Until your posting I even forgot to put it on my collection list.

I thought there was a conversion kit so you could put an LCD panel in the machine instead.

#17 8 years ago

I have seen TILT: The Battle to Save Pinball, and it gave me great appreciation for how skilled the development team was, and made me mad that Williams gave up after two machines. It is a very well-made documentary, and as Autumnfade pondered, the movie really makes you think about what could/should have been. I'm going to the Texas Pinball Festival in two weeks, and having the machines on free play will really allow me to go through the rule set and try to find some fun in the P2K setup. For as of now, RFM is my lowest rated game of over sixty, but we will see if that changes.

#18 8 years ago

I thought there was a conversion kit so you could put an LCD panel in the machine instead.

I'm sure there is but I prefer to keep machines as original as possible. I was not a big fan after having both RFM's and the SWEP1 sits mostly unplugged and unpowered. I plan to move it to the garage for storage when I get the Dancing Lady EM this weekend.

#20 8 years ago

Would you judge a woman in bed the first time ? And her you ? Think about that []

I kinda wish I'd kept both .. but oh well ... you can't always have "two" of them or it will get you in big trouble []

Ha ha, LOL.

#21 8 years ago

I have yet to play it and fully reassemble it (took the head off for transport) but right off the bat the playfield design is awesome and is 100% easier to work on and clean. haven't delved into gameplay yet but based on just the design and my initial impressions of the platform itself,the gameplay is promising. and it deserves more than one time just as Brokedad said. give the gal a chance, she has so much to offer!

#22 8 years ago

I have yet to play it and fully reassemble it (took the head off for transport) ...

With the CRT in it, that head is crazy heavy. I couldn't believe how much it weighed the first time I tried to lift it. It is remarkable how simple it is to remove, though. Wouldn't it be nice if all backboxes could be disconnected that easily.

#23 8 years ago

the head was heavy but not overly so. my brother and i handeled it perfectly. very easy to reconnect as well. everythings up and running tonight and the game is great. the 9 main modes are challanging to get through and many fun diversions like martian multiball, hypno beam, and standard multiball make entertaining ways to earn more saucer lights to ATTACK MARS. it will take me a while before i get to that, but it'll be fun getting there. mine's a little rough around the edges but once the playfield is fully cleaned and rerubbered it'll work perfectly for me; can't complain too much for the price i got it <$2000. i have a lotr and a family guy and this one fits in very nicely. eager to try SWE1 if i can find a cheap kit. time to play...

#24 8 years ago

Make sure you are running the latest software. If you are, there is a setting that will open up the orbits on certain shots. The game will flow better and be quite a bit more fun.

#25 8 years ago

I see what you mean mykquillion, I played RFM last weekend and it was the first time playing a Pinball 2000 machine ever, I've seen them around. I have to admit it feels smaller and really kind of trippy, screwed with my eyes. Gweempose explained it to me and after a few plays I really got into it. Not to the point of it to be my next machine mind you, but an appreciation for the game as a whole itself.

#26 8 years ago

One of my favorite silly pinball lines is during the "robo-Lincoln" mode:

"...so other than that, how'd you like the play?" (tasteless humor, I guess)

#27 8 years ago

i checked, i am running updated software. the loops flow nicely as you mentioned. me cleaning the entire thing and rerubbering it significantly sped things up as well. its a great game to play and super easy to shop out, waiting on a cliffy and i'm planning on putting LEDs in the playfield inserts too. maybe its because i'm used to screens and video games, but i absolutely love the idea and implementation of the p2k platform. Highly recommend RFM as a second or third game. i hope a can find a well priced star wars, and fingers crossed on any new p2k's coming out.

#28 8 years ago

I just watched "Tilt" and I see the attraction. I have played RFM at two different places and I Sorta want one now.

#29 8 years ago

For the comments about pin 2000's being small....

If you think the playfield is small, compare it to system 11 games such as Pinbot. It is actually only 1 inch shorter. It is an optical illusion created by the head/backbox that make pin 2000's look small.

#30 8 years ago

well if anyone comes across a "Great Deal" and one let me know please.

#31 8 years ago

I have one for trade, gorgeous shape, but I'm up in western Canada.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, OH

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside