Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lordnorth.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Ever since I got my TAF I have had problems where more than one lamp blinks sometimes. The lamps in question are either in the same row or the same column in the lighting matrix.

For example... I am testing Thing Multiball lamp, I also have lit Jackpot (same column), Light Advance X (same row), and Shoot Again (same row as Jackpot, same column as Light Advance X.

or

Testing Extra Ball, I also have lit Jackpot (same column), Right Special (same row) and Shoot Again (same row as Jackpot, same column as right special)

When I test Jackpot, only Jackpot lights.

As I write this I realize that when other lamps light one is in the same row, one is in the same column and one is the junction of the two other lamps that lit.

I figure these must be controlled through the wiring coming from J133 and J137 since when I unplug either of these all of the lamps go out. I unplugged from the board and tested each pin individually when Thing Multiball was supposed to be lit. I get the same voltage out of every pin in the same molex all the time.

I am sure this is pinball 101 and I should know how to do this, but unfortunately, I do not. Please use non technical words and maybe use photos as well since I probably don't know where to locate half of the stuff I should be testing.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Chris

#2 11 years ago

Okay, looking at this more... It seems I have a problem with row 3 and with column 7. Row 3 is labeled as Red-Orange J133-4 Q88 and Column 7 is Yellow-Violet J137-7 Q92.

How do I fix this problem now that I have an idea what it is?

Chris

#5 11 years ago

jrrdw: Yes, these should light up one at a time -- especially when testing.

Seal: Have pulled off the ribbon cables to test and reseated them, same problem. It would appear through observation that there is a problem with whatever turns on Row 3 and Column 7. It seems like these two never shut off.

Don't think it is a diode... a bad diode would only allow back feed to that one lamp, not every one on that row or column, wouldn't it?

Will pm you my address since I don't know what a TIP102 is...

Thanks so far, please keep ideas coming.

Thanks!
Chris

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#9 11 years ago

YES YES YES

The intersection of Row 3 and Column 7 is... Shoot Again. When I pull out the bulb from Shoot Again everything works perfectly.

So what does this mean? I checked the diode... it isn't back feeding, but I guess there is a problem somewhere.

What should I check next?

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

3) try a different bulb.

Different bulb, same result...

Quoted from johnwartjr:

The diode may not be back feeding, but is it installed properly? Check the banded diode end versus other sockets.

Quoted from markmon:

2) make sure the diode works. You should be able to test continuity one direction but not the other using the diode setting of your dmm

I checked for continuity using ohm meter... not diode. It reads full resistance one direction... .70 the other direction. Other diodes are giving the same reading. I didn't really look closely to make sure it was the correct direction, but the fact that the bulb does light should tell me that it can't be installed backwards, unless there is another problem as well.

Could be a problem in the socket where the insulation could have come out maybe?

Any other suggestions?

Chris

#14 11 years ago

I haven't tested the TIPs since I really can't figure out how to get the probes in without shorting everything out. I did try the "quick and dirty" test from the TIP102 where you test for continuity between the blade and ground. No shorts on the TIP102s.

I replaced the diode for the 'Shoot Again' light which seems to be the nexus of this whole problem. Interestingly, when I did, the Shoot Again light no longer lights when it is not supposed to, but the other lamps still do. I tried replacing a diode on one of the other lamps that were lighting when it was not supposed to and it made no difference (the diodes were testing out okay, but thought I would give it a shot)

Take the Shoot Again lamp out and everything works 100%. Put it back in and I start getting all of these extra lamps flashing....

#17 11 years ago

Hell and Mark,

Thanks for the ideas. I will give that a shot tonight. Good to know it isn't one of the tip transistors.

Some of the 'phantom lights' are in a circuitboard that holds the 555's that go into a socket and then twist into the board. Do these have a diode for the board, or do they work differently?

Is there an easy way to test if I am getting backfeed?

Thanks for the advice.
Chris

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 159.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
Cabinet parts
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 180.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
26,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
16,500 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lordnorth.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-understand-lighting-matrix?tu=lordnorth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.