Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by snyper2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I don't need any help spending $5K, $8k, $12K

However, I'd like to spend a max of $2K for a pin (just one!) to put in our vacation rental (alongside a 60-1 arcade machine).

Suggestions?

#2 5 years ago

I have a nice 1992 Cue Ball Wizard I can give you a deal on. It's reliable, family friendly and plug and play...

Not a whole lot in that price range anymore, especially with a DMD.

#3 5 years ago

Whatever bargain pops up on your local Craigslist ....

rd

#4 5 years ago

I'd pick something that's simple, but easy to shop and fix. Something from 1984-1989.

#5 5 years ago

if you are putting something in a vacation rental its going to get beat to crap by the guests and their kids especially. an 80s game wont last one peak season before needing work. If you aren't there regularly to check on the machine, things could go from bad to worse very quickly with no one there to assess the machine and put the "out of order" sign on it when necessary.

#6 5 years ago

Maybe check your last thread...

#7 5 years ago

Black Rose is a fun game in the $2-2500 range. Good bang for your buck!

#8 5 years ago

Colordmd, pinsound, subwoofer, flipper fidelity speakers, led bulbs, led ocd’s for inserts and GI, invisiglass, chrome lock and side bars, and toss in some toy figures to glue on the playfield...that should be about what you want to spend

#9 5 years ago

Party Zone!

#10 5 years ago

I always suggest Stargate if you can find one for that price. Otherwise, you can't really go wrong with most System 11s. I think a player's Taxi would probably run about 2k for example.

#11 5 years ago

The problem is, even your cheap games aren't 2k any longer. It used to be you could say "the shadow," "Johnny Mnemonic," "sttng." But those days are behind us.

#12 5 years ago

Gottlieb System 3s, I believe, are the final frontier for “inexpensive” DMD games, assuming you want a DMD game.

I know a lot of people like to hate on them, but I think they’re terrifically fun. Like the aforementioned Cue Ball Wizard, it’s got 2 video modes, multiball modes, tons of drop targets, a fun theme, and good music, and you’ll still have money on a $2K budget left over to buy a nice little EM to stick next to it.

Same goes for T’eed off and Wipe Out. Great games with a ton to do, that can be found for under $2K.

Alternatively, you can look to some System 11 games for excellent fun. I think if you look hard enough, you should be able to find a decent Taxi or Space Station for around or under $2K.

Or, you can take that $2,000 and use it to fill an entire basement with EMs.

#13 5 years ago

Id pick up a bulletproofed "players game".

If you are OK with Cabinet scrapes, and some touched up playfield wear,
    Ive managed many games that play amazing!

BOP, Fire, Earthshaker, NBA Fastbreak, Diner, even Sterns WPT, and others...
    Yes, some of these are now a tad higher, but the last thing I want to do is
    work on pins on vacation...

As this is a rental, minimal service, safe theme, plays great would be my goals, for me.

#14 5 years ago

Maybe pick up a cheap F14? Under $1500

#15 5 years ago

I'll second the Taxi recommendation.

Cabinet sucks to start with!

Safe theme. Good for casual player or more experienced.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Id pick up a bulletproofed "players game".

Excellent advice, Art. I missed the part that it was for a rental home.

That would make me recommend a System 3 game even more. System 3's are build like a brick house, and ridiculously reliable. Set it and forget it.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Maybe pick up a cheap F14? Under $1500

Yeh. Good luck w/ that.. I certainly didn’t have any.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Yeh. Good luck w/ that.. I certainly didn’t have any.

Just saw one sell working for 750$, another on craigslist now for 1500$

#19 5 years ago

Got a RFM could let go for 2200. Solid player.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

Just saw one sell working for 750$, another on craigslist now for 1500$

Not around me there isn’t and won’t be. To be fair, I’m pretty certain Michigan has higher prices than anywhere else.. I often look at all the stuff in Cali and wish it was closer
    I feel like the best bang for your buck at the moment is lw3. Outside of the gottlieb, it’s just about the only dmd game I see at or below 2k anymore. It’s a good shooter with great ramps, immersive and varied video modes, plus I like the fact it has multiple soundtracks.

#21 5 years ago

3k is the new 2k. I used to say Fish Tales was the best bang for the buck machine, but they’re north of 3k now. BSD used to be $2,500-$3,000 and those days are over. Deals are still out there, but they are few and far between. I’m curious to see what happens when all these newer Sterns come off route and what the market will be for an unshopped 3-5 year old machine.

#22 5 years ago

How about Al's Garage Band?

One listed on Pinside now just north of 2k. Comes with extra stuff.

I've owned it. It's fun, flashy, and family safe.

#24 5 years ago

Get yourself the game that saved pinball, Space Shuttle! Awesome pin that never gets old and is an absolute classic that everyone enjoys.

#25 5 years ago

Sigh... saw a fishtales listed locally on craigslist for $500.... You can guess how that turned out

Thanks for the suggestions- Im embarrassed to say it's a whole class of pins Ive not ever looked at before!

#26 5 years ago

Consider too, with clueless guests, something like a stuck coil will just be left to it's own consequences. An old game with a fried bridge and your place burns down. Just a thought.

#27 5 years ago

Not too sure on the prices but I think the 90s data east games might fit the bill. Lethal weapon, last action hero, etc. From my experience my tales from the crypt has ran well and replacement parts are easy to find worst case.

#28 5 years ago

Too much to go wrong with a SS machine....get a 70s bally EM...even if something breaks still mostly playable.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Sigh... saw a fishtales listed locally on craigslist for $500.... You can guess how that turned out
    Thanks for the suggestions- Im embarrassed to say it's a whole class of pins Ive not ever looked at before!

I was told that ad was a scam. Sorry, no one got a $500 Fish Tales. There is a guy in NC I know that’s got a Taxi for around $2000

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

The problem is, even your cheap games aren't 2k any longer. It used to be you could say "the shadow," "Johnny Mnemonic," "sttng." But those days are behind us.

STTNG would be a NIGHTMARE in a vacation rental, even if it were $2k. WAY too fussy to keep running well.

#31 5 years ago

For me it's a no brainer ~ Maverick is a fantastic title w/ an excellent layout & can you say > 16 drop targets. This machine can easily be had for the under the $2000 threshold that will keep you & yours entertained for years to come. Maverick is simply a sharpshooters dream w/ a very hard to achieve wizard mode.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Gottlieb System 3s, I believe, are the final frontier for “inexpensive” DMD games, assuming you want a DMD game.

Nope, it’s early Stern games like Sharkey’s, HRC, and South Park.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

i left a message based on that ad - the fish tales buried in a "yard sale" ad on craigslist. Did someone actually get it? I left a message within minutes of the ad posting saying i could be there within 3 hours and was willing to pay more than their asking price...never got a call back.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I was told that ad was a scam. Sorry, no one got a $500 Fish Tales. There is a guy in NC I know that’s got a Taxi for around $2000

Who told you that was a scam ad? The answering machine i left a message on sounded like a little old southern lady. i am sure she got absolutely bombarded if that post was in any way real....

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Maverick is simply a sharpshooters dream w/ a very hard to achieve wizard mode.

Agree, but it is a little bit maintenance heavy for a vaca rental.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-spend-2k-best-bang-for-buck?hl=dkjimbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.