(Topic ID: 240373)

Help Me Solve a Problem for All DE Trek and Hook Owners (Chase Lights)

By Pahuffman

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mbott1701
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

TL;DR at the bottom.

It is inevitable the chase lights on DE Star Trek and Hook will eventually fail. There have been some companies who have dipped their toes into making a replacement, but none have succeeded due to the labor-intensiveness of painstakingly recreating the original design. I am in search of a simpler solution while also bullet-proofing the lights using LEDs.

Here is a little background on the original design thanks to @patofnaud:

o DE uses 12VDC incandescent rope light containing 3 strands of lights and 1 common 12VDC power in both games.
o To supply power to the rope they take 12VDC off of the power supply CN6 pin 3 and feed the common line
o Then they 'ground' the other side of the bulbs through a unique 'chaser module' mounted in the head.
o The chaser is a simple bit of logic that grounds one side on the lamp chain as dictated by the CPU.
o The feed for these 3 'grounds' off the CPU are basically repurposed drive signals to the 'alpha-numeric display'.

Even though both machines are DMD, the CPU still has the logic and capability to drive an old plasma alpha-numeric display and DE took advantage of this unused logic.

All the CPU does to create the illusion of a 'chase' is to start repeating 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,etc,,,,,

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I reached out to Swainer80 who has been able to successfully replace the lights with LEDs using this method of tying each bulb back into the hot line, similar to the original design:

TL;DR - My question is this:

Is it not possible to drop the current for the entire strand of bulbs at one time with a single resistor coming from the hot line? Since all you're doing is lighting each strand in its entirety anyway in sequence, wouldn't this eliminate a lot of troublesome soldering to the hot line and require fewer wires in general?

I have a basic understanding of electronics. Am I way off base here?

#2 5 years ago

Theoretically, yes, but the devil is in the details.

More LED's on a resistor will necessitate a higher wattage resistor of course. There is also a practical limit to how many LED's can be tied into a single resistor, based on resistance values and wattage.

Intriguing problem. I have a couple other ideas on how it may be addressed but would need more details of the original installation.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Theoretically, yes, but the devil is in the details.

More LED's on a resistor will necessitate a higher wattage resistor of course. There is also a practical limit to how many LED's can be tied into a single resistor, based on resistance values and wattage.

Intriguing problem. I have a couple other ideas on how it may be addressed but would need more details of the original installation.

Thank you for your fast reply! On a DE Star Trek, we're talking about 4 LEDs (5mm) on each strand.

#4 5 years ago

What overall length is the chase lamp?
Has anybody ever looked into options such as this one....

https://www.noveltylights.com/blue-chasing-rope-lights-custom-cut

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

What overall length is the chase lamp?
Has anybody ever looked into options such as this one....

https://www.noveltylights.com/blue-chasing-rope-lights-custom-cut

There are 4 bulbs on each strand with 3 total strands. Each bulb is about 1.5 inches apart, so we're talking about 18 inches.

On a Star Trek there are actually 2 of these complete "ropes", but they operate independently from each other.

I don't think anything like that will work since the system is designed on 3 grounds that fire in sequence.

#6 5 years ago

I would think it'd be better to have the leds in parallel than in series?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I would think it'd be better to have the leds in parallel than in series?

Isn't that how the original does it? Like 3 strands of parallel lamps? The problem there is that we're talking about making numerous precise cuts and solder jobs on 22 gauge wire. It's extremely tedious, so I'm trying to minimize the difficulty while safely achieving the same effect.

#8 5 years ago

If it’s just 4 led’s, yeah, you can probably run in series.

But man, only 18” long? Hmmmmmmm

Got any photos of how they are mounted / installed?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Got any photos of how they are mounted / installed?

They are zip tied to either side of the main ramp from the entrance in the middle til about the flashers on the sides.

Edit: Not my picture. I'm not at home, so I borrowed this one from another thread. These are not working either.

#10 5 years ago

Gotcha. So a flex pcb may be an option as well. Never done one of them myself but definitely possible.

Could also do a revised chase controller too.

Some options to work with

#11 5 years ago

I found this article that says the voltage to an LED series has to be, at minimum, the combined forward voltage of all the bulbs.

https://www.ledsupply.com/blog/wiring-leds-correctly-series-parallel-circuits-explained/

I'm using these bulbs, which have a forward voltage of roughly 3V (according to the answered questions):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYYUS2R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

Do I even need the resistor if 4 bulbs per strand at roughly 3V are running on 12V of hot power? Are there any heat/safety/board concerns for not limiting the voltage?

#12 5 years ago

What about WS2811/WS2812 LED strips and an arduino to convert the signals from 3 to 1 for the led strip? Electronics would be simple and could be programmed with color and alternate effects. LED strip is cheap and comes in many different density/meter and casings. You could probably pull the old lights out of the original rope and fish a LED strip through it.

#13 5 years ago

I don't see any reason why not. The three volt bulbs added up 4 times would be the correct voltage. The led's use much less power so heat wouldn't be a problem. Shoot, if that worked making my set wouldn't have been such a pain in the ass to make. Just for reference the two separate ropes are tied together under the playfield, they aren't independent of one another. Regarding the chasing rope lights. The bulbs in the game do more than chase. When ramps are hit, the lights flash and when the multi-ball starts they reverse and go towards the transporter. It is a pretty cool effect. I custom made a pair for a bloke on pinside because his were removed for some reason, I don't think he has installed the damn things yet (being a year or two later). I want his feedback and I'm not charging him until I know they work. One day. . .

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from twhtalm:

What about WS2811/WS2812 LED strips and an arduino to convert the signals from 3 to 1 for the led strip? Electronics would be simple and could be programmed with color and alternate effects. LED strip is cheap and comes in many different density/meter and casings. You could probably pull the old lights out of the original rope and fish a LED strip through it.

This goes way over my head. I have pretty much zero coding experience, although I understand the basics. I'm looking for an everyday-man solution.

Quoted from Swainer80:

Just for reference the two separate ropes are tied together under the playfield, they aren't independent of one another.

Ahh thank you. I wasn't aware of that. I guess it won't pose any issues?

Quoted from Swainer80:

I don't see any reason why not. The three volt bulbs added up 4 times would be the correct voltage. The led's use much less power so heat wouldn't be a problem.

I guess I will give the series method a try without any resistors. Maybe do one strand and leave it on in test mode for about 30 minutes to make sure there aren't any issues? What are my chances of blowing the board doing that? I'm still a noob here to the electronics scene and don't want to ruin anything.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

This goes way over my head. I have pretty much zero coding experience, although I understand the basics. I'm looking for an everyday-man solution.

Not as bad as you would think. Check out this website that already has examples written with many of the patterns required already there. Adapt code for your specific situation. Total of 3 inputs, 1 output, power for controller and leds. The example videos might change your mind.
https://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/arduino/adruino-led-strip-effects/#LEDStripEffectTheatreChase

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I guess I will give the series method a try without any resistors.

Apparently this is a bad idea. After some research, I've discovered LEDs are more sensitive to current than voltage. I can't hook LEDs up to the unregulated 12v line safely. I work at a university and reached out to one of the instructors here who might be able to help me calculate what resistor I need to convert from incandescent in parallel to an LED series, which is apparently what I'm trying to do here.

1 month later
#17 4 years ago

Good(?) news on this one is that a buddy of mine has a DE Star Trek, and is now having issues with the chaser lights. So this will give me something to dig my hands into and figure out a solution.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Good(?) news on this one is that a buddy of mine has a DE Star Trek, and is now having issues with the chaser lights. So this will give me something to dig my hands into and figure out a solution.

Sorry - I forgot about this thread. I was actually able to successfully recreate the lights with LEDs in parallel. It looks amazing. As others have mentioned, it's a pain the the rear but totally doable. This made the game burst into the moder era and fixed the short I was having in one of the strands. Thankfully I got this done before blowing the board.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-25th-data-east-club/page/6#post-4955800

I posted everything I learned over in the DEST club thread. There are a couple of things I would do differently but this can be done in a weekend pretty cheaply. It's all in the post. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions.

#19 4 years ago

Definitely glad to hear it worked for you, but you also got me 'inspired', and I have a few things I'm working on to make this an easier fix for users in the future. Too soon to say much but I'm about to move from concept to hardware development shortly here. I think you'll like the result.

Also discovered a couple things about the way these are built in the process. Looks like the Star Trek version of the chaser board burns up kinda easy, which is why they redesigned it for Hook. The Hook style board is a drop-in replacement in Star Trek but uses larger discreet transistors instead of the ULN2003 chip.

-Hans

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Too soon to say much but I'm about to move from concept to hardware development shortly here. I think you'll like the result.

Excellent! It's about time someone with better electronics skills than me took on this project.

Now that at least we know it's possible, the real issue becomes finding the nylon tubing for those who need a complete replacement. I have found some places online that make similar products but do not expect to find an exact match at this point. Finding something with similar transparency also seems to be a problem. Most of what I see online is either too clear or too opaque. On top of that, the tubing usually comes in long rolls that can get pretty expensive.

#21 4 years ago

Getting an exact match will be extremely difficult, but what I'm working on won't be an exact match anyway. So I'm aiming to get it as close as possible of an appearance when turned off. On? Whole different beast there.

-Hans

#22 4 years ago

I got some of this to try. My original is still in decent shape so I might just use that in the end. I'll have to experiment. Have 3mm blue leds too.

ebay.com link: itm

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Getting an exact match will be extremely difficult, but what I'm working on won't be an exact match anyway. So I'm aiming to get it as close as possible of an appearance when turned off. On? Whole different beast there.

Yeah I was wondering about that too. It would be cool to program in some light shows for attract mode. Don't know if you have that capability but that would be awesome to see because the LEDs will be able to handle the continuous on time much better than the incandescents, which I'm guessing is why they left it off in the first place.

Quoted from mbott1701:

I got some of this to try. My original is still in decent shape so I might just use that in the end. I'll have to experiment. Have 3mm blue leds too.

That looks pretty close but maybe not quite as dark. Post a picture when you get it in so we can see what it looks like. The main concern is being able to see all the insulated wiring with the LEDs. This was much less of an issue with the original tubing because the wires were thin metal that blended in fairly well.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

I never thought about searching for fuel line, but this one looks a little darker.

ebay.com link: Fuel Line 10 Feet Blue Super Premium Quality 1 4 ID 3 8 OD

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I never thought about searching for fuel line, but this one looks a little darker.
ebay.com link » Fuel Line 10 Feet Blue Super Premium Quality 1 4 Id 3 8 Od

Nice. It does look a bit darker.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Boards
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-solve-a-problem-for-all-de-trek-and-hook-owners-chase-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.