New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 72077)

Help me pick my LED(s) and powder coat for 2 restorations.

By starbase

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_0019_20131215_3086.jpg
DSC_0010_20131215_3077.jpg
DSC_0028_20131215_3095.jpg
DSC_0022_20131215_3089.jpg
image-95.jpg
image-662.jpg
image-479.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Need a little help or guidance with my SS and TZ restorations that are with Chris in NC and about to start. I had planned to do a black mirrored powdercoat for the armors/legs on both but having second thoughts. Both have drano's black mirror blades so I thought the fit of black would be decent. Now I am thinking maybe Chrome the TZ and leave the black for the SS. Crazier thoughts were to do a dark navy style blue for TZ and like a deep Red for SS sort of blood like, not interested in neon Green.

Any thoughts on powdercoating the ramps and wireguides on TZ? Is this a bad idea, will it lead to bad wear down the road? Don't mind spending a bit more if they hold up well.

Going to do full LED,s in both and confused about what to use for the GI and inserts. I always love how Black Rose does his with the frosted in the GI but concerned they may be too bright or distracting. Want something bright for the inserts but not insane. Not concerned about price just want good quality and no ghosting.

Any tips, or pics or thoughts on any of this is appreciated. I realize ultimately it will up to me to make a decision but I though someone out there who has done some of this would have some thoughts.

What say you pinside?

#2 6 years ago

Really interested to follow this. I too was going to do black on TZ. May still, but would be interested in other options. I'm going to do the wire forms too for sure. Good powder will stand up on them no problem.

For SS, I agree that the neon green is not the way to go. Black is the easy choice for almost anything, so that could work. I think the blood red is an interesting idea. Someone did a color like this on BSD, so maybe you could find that for reference. Only problem I see is there is already red on the cabinet and lots on the playfield, so this new blood red may or may not look mismatched.

Another option I was toying with was something sort of matched to the crate color. When you look at the side of the cabinet, the side rail slants upward and almost presents an illusion like the top of the crate opening. I was wondering if the color was right, would it further enhance this illusion.

Good luck with the choices. I always have trouble picking colors I haven't seen before, but I'm always interested to draw inspiration for others' pictures.

#3 6 years ago

Incandescent and stock trim. Done.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

My thoughts exactly

#5 6 years ago

I just got a SS and left the g.i. incandescent with leds in the inserts. I also put leds in the backbox behind the spider wheel images. Really pops against the traditional g.i. bulbs.

#6 6 years ago

Pinchroma did my EATPM in a 3 stage powder. Superchrome/ShockerYellow and Glowbee clearcoat. But of SS you may want to go the black route as that cab is more of a grey/black theme whereas EATPM is more black/yellow/green.

For ref: Here is what my EATPM looks with the yellow/green color.

#7 6 years ago

My recommendation,

Use non ghosting, No Flickering, super flux bulbs for the inserts..They are the best there is!
They are at Pinballcenter.eu as Super Flux, at $2.55
They are at Pinball decals for $3.55
and at Comet Pinball at $1.99

For your GI, Use Frosted Natural Whites. Mix in some Blues, maybe some purples, a few warms, no worries about having an extra 10 bulbs to rearrange as you need.

These are found almost everywhere from $.59-$1.29

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for all the input, did not think I would get much response. All this is very helpful.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

So chrome armor? Why incandescent, won't I be replacing them more often and draining more power? Nobody likes a little color in their slingshots? A little brighter inserts seems like a no brainer.

I guess not as many as I thought are fans of Black Roses' in your face bright style conversions?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GzrKPUPchs0?autoplay=1&rel=0

#9 6 years ago

You can buy LEDs that look the same as incandescent bulbs but use less power. I think he means go with them.. I personally would love the chrome on tz and for ss would probably stay black

#10 6 years ago

I hate chrome - everytime someone plays a game you need to whip out the cloth and wipe off the fingerprints. Powder coat is much better if you feel the need to do something.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I hate chrome - everytime someone plays a game you need to whip out the cloth and wipe off the fingerprints.

Couldn't agree more. I have one game with chrome and it looks great as a museum piece, but as soon as anyone plays it, it reminds you how greasy people actually are.

#12 6 years ago

Here is my SSimage-95.jpgimage-662.jpgimage-479.jpg

#13 6 years ago

I think "restore" and "LEDs and powdercoat" are mutually exclusive.

We need a new verb for this.

#14 6 years ago

Chrome trim on both with "tasteful" Led's
That's my choice.

#15 6 years ago

Chrome looks good. I have chrome on my WW and MB. I have a friend with a restored TZ in chrome. It looks stunning. I like the retro leds cointaker sells. They have the benefits of leds without the blinding effects.

#16 6 years ago

I am leaning towards passing on powdercoating as it adds nothing to actually playing. Will be cool enough without the bling. Scared of chrome because I dont want to tell every person that comes over to wash up before playing in the arcade or have to wipe up every-time they are played. Still leaning towards LEDS but now I am shying away from doing colored lighting everywhere. Will look at retros led as that sounds what I am looking for.

#17 6 years ago

In my opinion warm white retros still aren't the right color temperature. They still look slightly green almost like fluorescent lights. It is just so hard to get that warm look of an incandecent. Cool whites look better for certain games (especially ones with blue art), but it is difficult to get warm wites to look right in the GI.

1 week later
#18 6 years ago

anyone sell the painted coin door like tatman's? I just got a little movement

#19 6 years ago

Picked up my SS last month. Only my 2nd pin so i thought the red powder coat was original, now i know better! Hope these photos help with your decision.

DSC_0022_20131215_3089.jpg DSC_0028_20131215_3095.jpg DSC_0010_20131215_3077.jpg DSC_0019_20131215_3086.jpg
#20 6 years ago

Thanks, very helpful.

#21 6 years ago

Here's an SS I did a couple of years ago.

Kept the standard lockdown bar and side rails (and highly polished them) and put on gloss black legs.

The black legs suit the machine in my opinion.

The customer specifically didn't want new cabinet decals installed.

The LED install is 4 LEDs in the features and frosted retro dome tops in the GI. Pictures make it look a little darker than it actually was.

http://www.pinballarcade.co.nz/ss.htm

cheers
rd.

#22 6 years ago

Also, you can't go wrong with a nice gloss black trim. Really suits some of the BW machines.

I think it'd look good on TZ and SS.

Check out this No Fear I did for an idea on what it looks like.

http://www.pinballarcade.co.nz/nf.htm

rd.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Professor Pinball
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Wayzata, MN
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 25.00
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
7,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oviedo, FL
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 57.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rochester, NY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside