Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game would you buy!”

• White Water (williams 66 votes
    44%
  • Ghostbusters (stern) 83 votes
    56%

(149 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

I cant decide ive only played ghostbusters 2X i love it, but i also have the opportunity to buy a WH20.
If you were to choose which one would you perfer? I only have space for one. I would love to hear your opinions.

#2 7 years ago

Ww's code is finished, isn't it?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

if you get the home roms that fix some bugs

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

yeah, and so is WH2O's.

#5 7 years ago

WH20...easy decision. All time classic...GBs will be available forever

#6 7 years ago

yeah i guess when it comes to "code" WH20 is complete. lol
Like when stern alters the ruleset how extreme do they go?

Since playing it i didnt understand what was happening, Are you shooting the ramps to unlock modes and then hitting a scoop? like MM or MB?

#7 7 years ago

What game would you rather play more?

#8 7 years ago

Totally different games. WH2O is easier, and has more flow than GB. Depends on condition of the game too.

If it were up to me I'd probably get Ghostbusters. WH2O has gotten up there in price last few years, might as well get a brand new game with a killer theme and a rock-solid platform.

#9 7 years ago

WH2O gets boring quick. I'd go with GB. It'll probably end up with deeper code, have awesome stereo sound and have greater longevity in a collection.

#10 7 years ago

There is a price a price difference between the 2 of course condition of the WH20 looked good. Money isn't the issue. I guess its more about gameplay. Like is GB gameplay liner like Roadshow? Or is the ruleset a little deeper like TZ?

#11 7 years ago

Is the WH20 in solid condition? Are you a huge fan of the game? I say go for it. You can get a GB anytime. It will only get better with time and code. I had a GB premium pre-ordered, I was and am super excited about it. I have space for one more game, it was gonna be GB... and then I came across a really nice Addam's Family on here, which I've always wanted. Needless to say I cancelled my GB and went for TAF. I also have several other modern Sterns so it made the decision easier for me since I like varied collections. I also have a WH20, it rules. You can't go wrong with either though. Good luck!

#12 7 years ago

BTW if it's your only machine go for GB

#13 7 years ago

I have a bias since I recently purchased White Water. I don't have the home ROMs yet, but the entire game is really really excellent.

Here's my reasoning: Go for White Water now. If you have the chance to get a nice example, you won't regret it. You don't see White Waters come up very often, and the gameplay is unanimously praised.

Ghost Busters will be available new for quite some time. You don't have to rush into purchasing it. I'd argue that it might actually be in your best interest to wait, as the hardware and software will be refined through time.

If you decide that you get tired of White Water, sell it. It shouldn't be difficult to do. Then use the money to buy a Ghostbusters later.

#14 7 years ago

I think Ghostbusters will give you more as an only pin in a home environment - it's going to have a deeper ruleset than WH2O. It's also guaranteed to be in better condition (i'm assuming you're not picking up a HEP restoration here). most of the components in a White Water are going to be over 20 years old. things do break down, and over time the likelihood of failure for each component goes up.

don't get me wrong - WH2O is a classic and deservedly so. it's got a fantastic jackpot shot, good personality, cool layout .. lots going for it. but if you are only going to own one game, i think Ghostbusters is going to hold your interest longer and most likely will give you fewer problems.

#15 7 years ago

White Water is a classic... but would I have it as my only pin? No.
Ghostbusters is cool but be warned: this is not an easy pin - tight shots, unforgiving outlanes...

#16 7 years ago

Ive the pins ive owned are Addams/INDY(williams)/TZ. I'm use to playing top pins. I do like the ball flow in WW. But you make a good point about wear. The price different between the 2 games is 3K If i go with GB its like an extra 3K I dont live in the states the exchange is so shitty!...

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I agree. At TPF, we couldnt get enough of White Water. Both are solid titles

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Ive the pins ive owned are Addams/INDY(williams)/TZ. I'm use to playing top pins. I do like the ball flow in WW. But you make a good point about wear. The price different between the 2 games is 3K If i go with GB its like an extra 3500.00 I dont live in the states the exchange is so shitty!...

If that is the case, I would go with white water. A LOT of people are buying ghostbusters, that means in a year or two, there should be plenty available in the secondary market, most likely already equipped with mods, and all the fixes Stern may need to come out with.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

The price different between the 2 games is 3K If i go with GB its like an extra 3500.00 I dont live in the states the exchange is so shitty!.

Man, I was thinking GB all day, but with that price difference..go for WH2O

#20 7 years ago

Not sure what other games you own...but as I've shared with others who want to get into the hobby to understand what they are getting themselves into.

If you have no background with electronics, how things work or how to diagnose, fix broken or upgrade old parts...the learning curve can be steep and a bad experience if the expectation is (it should operate perfectly upon setup). Older pins (like vintage cars) need hands on maintenance more often. Newer machines are likely to run and operate with minor tweaking, but rarely involve mechanical hardware and board swap outs.

I'm a fan of vintage 90's pins. I've also been in the hobby for 13 years and can say I've owned my fair share of owning several games from that time period. I've invested, learned a ton using Pinside as a resource...a (fantastic place with very knowledgeable experts) to maintain and keep my games in working condition.

With Sterns, It's been more about smaller tweaks, adding mods, enhancing the games visual appeal, with minor hardware/mechanical fixes. In the end, I enjoy both...but I've invested the time, resources and $'s to continue the joy of owning pins. WH20 is a great game. If the condition of the game is operating at 100%, just remember to use Pinside as a resource, get to know those who have knowledgeable experience that enjoy helping others to fix their games. The same goes for newer pins like GB...but you will likely spend more time here on Pinside reading up on GB New Mod and code update posts than posting questions yourself.

I think both games would be a great addition to your collection...and as they say, you can't just own one. Buy one and you'll likely end up with the other sooner than later.

#21 7 years ago

Get both if money is no problem! Wouldn't hurt to read over the "where's the kiss code thread" before comparing software side of things with Stern.

#22 7 years ago

Someone mentioned getting WH2O because GB would be available for a while, but that wasn't your question. Go GB. Here's why: much more challenging game, already much deeper than WH2O (and likely to have code updates).

Here's the other reason, WH2O will also be available for a long time, just on the used market already. I had WH2O for a few months but was pretty much done with it after about two. My taste, but it got old quickly. Fast and fun, but very limited feel and the theme, while original, is just so-so (though it is a fantastic realization of a theme).

#23 7 years ago

Buy whichever one you like better or buy one now and trade/sell it when you are tired of it. I have come to the conclusion that I'm not marrying the damn things and I can just send them along when I'm bored or when somebody offers me a good deal.

That sounds really snarky but I just buy them to have fun and there are so many great games out there. Just buy one of them.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Someone mentioned getting WH2O because GB would be available for a while, but that wasn't your question.

The other side of the coin is this; being able to get a good deal on a WH20 does not come up a bunch...probably less in Canada. If it is to shallow for him, he plays it for a year, it's a very easy sale, and GB are still being made and finally finishing code around (ish!) that time.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Ive the pins ive owned are Addams/INDY(williams)/TZ. I'm use to playing top pins. I do like the ball flow in WW. But you make a good point about wear. The price different between the 2 games is 3K If i go with GB its like an extra 3K I dont live in the states the exchange is so shitty!...

Looking at the price difference, I could wait on Ghostbusters, lol.

#26 7 years ago

WH20 Inst mint by far, needs a little TLC But im pretty handy.
Ive owned TZ,Indy and Addams before. The 20 year old part is a concern, when components start to break down.

#27 7 years ago

I just picked up WH20 and have GBLE on order....just get both

#28 7 years ago

I'd rather have a proton pack than a wet willie.

#29 7 years ago

Only pin, I would get GB. I have WH2O and it will probably never leave, but I have a decent collection and GB premium on the way. If I could have only ONE it would not be WH2O. probably Met if I had a one game collection.

#30 7 years ago

Ghostbusters...100%

#31 7 years ago

I wouldn't give up my White Water to get a Ghostbusters....

#32 7 years ago

Whitewater is a classic pin with "staying power." Ghostbusters is new and exciting, but won't stand the test of time quite as well, imho. Both beautiful pins, but I'm leaning toward WW.

#33 7 years ago

I have a gble on order, but I own a Wh20. Wh20 is just so much fun to play, and never get old for me, as the shots are just so much fun to shoot.

#34 7 years ago

I think it depends on your tastes. I like deep rule sets, but I've learned that, for me, deep rules do not always equal more fun. For example, personally, I would take Taxi over most modern games. It has a shallow rule set but it also happens to be fun as hell. It never seems to get old to me. Most modern games are far deeper, yet very few can touch Taxi as far as I'm concerned. That's just me though.

White Water tends to strike a really nice balance between depth and play-ability for me. There is some amount of depth there, but the real draw is the repeat play-ability factor and the design. It's been the only pin in my collection for years and I still play it almost every day. There are multiple ways to approach play so it doesn't seem to get monotonous for me.

Now, if you're the type of player who's done with game after you "beat it" then it would seem like Ghost Busters is the easy choice. I know quite a few people who feel like that and any game with a shallower rule set is just not for them. I will say I was almost blown away when I first saw the art (it's not as put together as WH2O but it's pretty awesome). Upon play, I really liked it, but at the same time it didn't fully live up to my expectations. It's tough with brand new games. I don't think you can rely on the hype because with every new title that comes out, you have people say it's the best game ever. The code can have a drastic effect on how fun the game is. I'd say the jury is still out on GB, although I fully admit it has the potential to be one the greats.

#35 7 years ago

I really like GB, but too early to tell the staying power. WH20 is one of the best games ever made.

#36 7 years ago

Being as money is no object, the NIB experience is worth something. You can't get that w Wh2o

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from pinplayerinva:

Being as money is no object, the NIB experience is worth something. You can't get that w Wh2o

Same could be said for buying a really nice example of WH20.

#38 7 years ago

The answer is a NIB Wh2o then huh

#39 7 years ago

No.....but finding a really nice example of an older machine can give you the same "high" so to speak

#40 7 years ago

GB's is defintely the flavour of the month and I really like the gameplay, fast and brutal cool layout but that will pass with time then the code complaints will start, I would wait a while as they will be in production for a long time, if its a dream theme then that changes everything, WH20 is just a proven long term gem so you can't lose either way, if I had a mint WH20 I don't think I could sell it for GB.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This is key. White Water doesn't come up for sale everyday. You can easily sell it anytime. In the near future, you should be able to call any distributor and get a Ghostbuster at your door in one month.

#42 7 years ago

I smile every time I hear that ball lock on White Water. Mmmmmuuuhhaaaaa.

#43 7 years ago

nobody can tell you what to get. Personally, I don't think anyone has enough play on GB to make an good enough decision at this point. WH20 has been around forever, so it's been played to death. Depends on the price of WH20. If it's cheap (3k w/topper and working), then jump on it, you can always sell or trade it. If it's high (4500 or more), drag your feet, there are plenty of them out there. it's not like they are rare.

#44 7 years ago

I was offered $9k for my WH20 and turned it down. Great resto job by PinballMike. Can't ever see selling it.

I've got a GBLE coming and hope its great but I'd never get rid of my Wh20 if I could only have one.

#45 7 years ago

5x playfield, during multiball, nailing triple jackpots! Nuff said

#46 7 years ago

This is a odd thread but I like it. I love Whitewater and yes I have played GB. I would go with Whitewater. Half the cost and just as fun. You can get GB later when prices come down.

#47 7 years ago

I'd buy the WH2O now, play it for a year or two, then sell it and buy GB.

#48 7 years ago

Had WH20 for 2 years, fun Pin, but GB is will definitely be more fun. Unless you are getting WH20 for a great price,
skip it and get a GB

#49 7 years ago

I wouldn't give up my whitewater to get a GB. Everyone crowning GB as the best game ever needs to slow down a bit. I've played the pro and it has potential. No one has played the premium/LE so no one knows how good it can be. WH2O is an awesome game in my opinion, GB might end up slightly better, as good as, or much worse. Save some cash and get a WH2O now. If GB turns out great you can get a premium later.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I wouldn't give up my whitewater to get a GB. Everyone crowning GB as the best game ever needs to slow down a bit. I've played the pro and it has potential. No one has played the premium/LE so no one knows how good it can be. WH2O is an awesome game in my opinion, GB might end up slightly better, as good as, or much worse. Save some cash and get a WH2O now. If GB turns out great you can get a premium later.

I agree. People are crowning GB to be the best. I bet most have not played it. I have and it's ok. Good but not great. Sorry GB fans.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-pick-ghostbusters-vs-white-water?hl=flipordie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.