Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game would you buy!”

• White Water (williams 66 votes
    44%
  • Ghostbusters (stern) 83 votes
    56%

(149 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Everyone crowning GB as the best game ever needs to slow down a bit.

Quoted from Skyemont:

People are crowning GB to be the best.

You guys are the worst. Do you not understand it's from the movie we grew up with....like....totally makes it the best game ever duh.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I agree. People are crowning GB to be the best. I bet most have not played it. I have and it's ok. Good but not great. Sorry GB fans.

I have played GB and think it lives up to the hype, and that was just from playing the pro. Incredible artwork, great audio, lots of interesting and unique shots, a deep progression based ruletset and fun interactive toys. Can't wait for my premium!

#53 7 years ago

I would personally go with WH20 for a few reasons:

1. It is a classic game and is highly unlikely to be remade - so there are a limited number available.
2. WH20 is increasing in value - living outside of the US they will become increasingly more difficult to find.
3. GB is the "flavor of the month" right now. In a few months people will be dumping them while complaining about how the magnetic slings suck and the code is unfinished.
4. When Stern announces their first color game - fanboys will be raving about how the new pin with a color display is the most awesome thing ever!!

You can pick up a GB at a bargain price then.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Ive the pins ive owned are Addams/INDY(williams)/TZ. I'm use to playing top pins. I do like the ball flow in WW. But you make a good point about wear. The price different between the 2 games is 3K If i go with GB its like an extra 3K I dont live in the states the exchange is so shitty!...

IF its an extra 3k for GB.. does that mean you can get a WH20 for 2.5k? That's a pretty damn good deal if you ask me... no more questions. I'd already have it in the garage.

#55 7 years ago

If Wh20 was in mint condition then it would be a diffrent story. I have a perfect wh20 with clear coated playfield all new plastics ramps etc and fully chromed trim. This would be the only way to compare a NIB Stern to a Williams from the 90's on a like for like basis. As far a play goes I've not yet got to play GB hopefully not to far away. Wh20 has a very unique layout and ruleset not very deep but makes use of every shot and a lot of variety every game. I think it suits a collection with at least 3-5 games at it brings something diffrent. Would I have it as my only game, not now that I own an AFM. That being said I would not sell my WH2O to fund a new stern. Firstly I can play them on location whenever I want so not desperate to have one at home. So I would only look at older Sterns that are not readily on location such as x-men or Metallica.

#56 7 years ago

I own a MINTY Wh20. I have GB premium on order. I would not take GB over my Wh20, at this time.

Disclaimer; I haven't played GB yet... it sounds awesome! However, I still wouldn't give up my Wh20 for it.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

WH20 Inst mint by far, needs a little TLC But im pretty handy.
Ive owned TZ,Indy and Addams before. The 20 year old part is a concern, when components start to break down.

Does your TLC WH2O have the topper? You might get complete GB code before a topper if you care about that sort of thing.

#58 7 years ago

It has to be GB! I mean I've never played it... or seen it but its GB!!! Its, its gotta be great! I mean its so pretty and I love the theme so its going to be the best ever! I mean its GB! Its the best ever! Has it hit number 1 on the top 100 yet? I mean it will... Its the best ever!

#59 7 years ago

I think i leaning towards the GB... and no the WH20 isnt 2.5 i wish its around 4-5K+ yes it has a topper. Keep in mind GB here is selling for 7.5 retail. YIKES... I like the idea of low maintenance. I wish the dollar wasnt so bad. The main concern is getting the machine and having to dump money into it. Thats the problem i had with my older pins. Hence why i sold..... Thanks for all the replies.

I guess i when i want play pinball i want to turn it on and have a game. Not deal with a switch error. If a newer stern is going to deal with that issue it sounds like it worth it.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

I guess i when i want play pinball i want to turn it on and have a game. Not deal with a switch error. If a newer stern is going to deal with that issue it sounds like it worth it.

Then get the GB for sure. I little tweak here & fix there will happen...but you won't have to go pinning down a reset issue for months

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Even a brand new Stern is going to have some problems. Switches will need adjustments from time to time, flippers will have to be rebuilt, LEDs will pop from their sockets.

"If it ain't broke, it ain't pinball" - Jersey Jack

#62 7 years ago

Both are great games. GB is getting a lot of attention but I don't think it is all hype. It has a lot more going for it than the average new Stern. WH2O is a solid game but it's still a 20+ year old game. Nice ones are not cheap either. Rather spend a little extra and have the nib experience. The only exception would be if WH2O is really nice and you can get a decent deal on it. GB should be available for at least 2 years so you can always get one later.

#63 7 years ago

White Water - getting harder to find, and one of the best machines ever made. I'm on my fourth and final Wh20, fully restored, and it will never ever leave. You can always pick up a GB later.

#64 7 years ago

WH20 has a production run of 7000. I really think GB's production numbers will be less than that. I think the 7k production run days are over. Either way, there isn't a rush.

7.5k for GB? where do you live? most around here are 6.6k for a premium.

If the Wh20 isn't an super cheap deal. THere will always be another one and maybe for cheaper and better condition. Never hurts to wait. I waited 2 years to find a Indy 500. Saw many come and go. Finally found one with nice original cabinet and flawless playfield for $2300. Then it was time to pull the trigger.

#65 7 years ago

I'm with Neo. I think on machines I want that keep ballooning, I'll wait for that just right situation. If it doesn't come, no biggie, most every pin I want to play I know someone that owns it within a few hours drive. Otherwise I'll do what I did in the past and buy a game that was in fine shape but already to the high end of the market to where I took a lost to move it so I could get something else.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I think on machines I want that keep ballooning, I'll wait for that just right situation. If it doesn't come, no biggie,

Yup that's smart. If you don't do it that way, you'll end up like Pinsiders I always here that say "I love this game, this is the 4th time I've owned it;" which seems bizarre to me. Then again if I had a walk out maybe I wouldn't care so much

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I'm with Neo. I think on machines I want that keep ballooning, I'll wait for that just right situation. If it doesn't come, no biggie, most every pin I want to play I know someone that owns it within a few hours drive. Otherwise I'll do what I did in the past and buy a game that was in fine shape but already to the high end of the market to where I took a lost to move it so I could get something else.

This works fine for the guys who have 5 or more..
I think the single game collector has to go for their top game. Tough decision with gb or wh2o. Wh2o is solid proven fun. I haven't played GB, but it sure looks like the full package.

#68 7 years ago

Hope they follow thru on the code past initial release and don't give it the Kiss treatment. Kiss was the hot new game once recently.... Wrestlemania was the hot new game once recently......

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from fish1975tx:

.... Wrestlemania was the hot new game once recently......

Agree with your sentiment but this is not true in anyway. It was once the "new game," but that's it.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Agree with your sentiment but this is not true in anyway. It was once the "new game," but that's it.

Ha ha this is true! Got carried away with my description!

#71 7 years ago

yea, WWE and HOT or anticipated were never in the same sentence. (well this sentence has both but still)

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

I'd buy the WH2O now, play it for a year or two, then sell it and buy GB.

Exactly what I was going to say...it'll hold it's value and then you can grab a used GB that has tweaked any factory flaws so it plays great. Read the GB issues thread...and picture yourself dealing with those issues on a 7500 dollar machine. Buy a solid used game and then later buy a solid GB used.

#73 7 years ago

Pinball is very subjective, my kids and I don't like WH2O but we are in the minority. It's a top rated game that holds it's value well and there is something to be said for that because if you do not like it you can always resell it without taking a bath.

Can't give any advise on GB because I haven't played it yet but I like what I've seen so far.

I would probably advise you to try them before you buy or keep your options open to more than just those 2 because there are many great pins out there and some can be had for a good price, especially if you're willing to put in a little TLC.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

WH2O gets boring quick. I'd go with GB. It'll probably end up with deeper code, have awesome stereo sound and have greater longevity in a collection.

Boring quick? Are we talking about the same game???

Had my White Water since 2000 and still love it.

#75 7 years ago

I really like WH2O, but I don't want pay what it sells for today. All pins went up in value over the last several years. Some even doubled. WH2O tripled. It's just not worth $4000-$5000 to me. I think it's in good company with BSD, Shadow, etc and should be $2500-$3000.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

All pins went up in value over the last several years. Some even doubled. WH2O tripled.

It did not triple because it sucks.

It tripled because 25 years latter, it's still more fun than 99% of the all the pins out there.

People sell it to buy the latest fad, then have to buy it back at 50% more when they realize how badly they miss that flow.

#77 7 years ago

Wh20 is a pricey ticket these days...but also is one of a kind. BSD should still be around $18-2200...

#78 7 years ago

WH20 went up as soon as they repro'd boulders for it. Before that, you could get it for $1000-1200 all day long. once boulders were available, people were not scared to own it. But the boulders cost a ton. So for a long time, people would have more invested into it than they could get out of it. Over time, people stopped taking a huge loss and less were for sale and prices started to rise.

#79 7 years ago

Both are great games.

Got a few games on a Ghost busters pro at Yegpin. Ghostbusters is better than white water in my opinion.

Great artwork on GB and a tough game. Space between the flippers is vast.

My next NIB will be Ghostbusters. Whitewater is a great game but doesn't compare to the newer Sterns.

If your like the Ghostbusters movies, this game is for you.

#80 7 years ago

maybe going to look at a Whitewater this weekend Guy started out with price of $4300.00 now he says he has been offered more & price is now up to $5000.00 after reading a few of the recent posts here I am guessing that is a fair price now for a good one of these ?? & what in particular should I look for ?

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

maybe going to look at a Whitewater this weekend Guy started out with price of $4300.00 now he says he has been offered more & price is now up to $5000.00 after reading a few of the recent posts here I am guessing that is a fair price now for a good one of these ?? & what in particular should I look for ?

Money talks and BS walks... being offered more and having someone drop 4k cash in front of them are 2 different stories. The range from Pinside is $3,800- $4,300, yes, at times, this can be on the low side of actual street prices but I found their prices to be fairly accurate. I'm not familiar with this pin but I would think the usual things, missing parts, cracked ramps, PF wear, working boards, lights and flashers... game specific parts are usually the hardest to find so I'd make sure they are there and working. Good luck!

#82 7 years ago

I would not pay $5K for WH2O, even in fantastic condition, but that's me. I wouldn't turn one down again but I see it closer to 2500 (for me).

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Money talks and BS walks... being offered more and having someone drop 4k cash in front of them are 2 different stories. The range from Pinside is $3,800- $4,300, yes, at times, this can be on the low side of actual street prices but I found their prices to be fairly accurate.

Right on Thanks yeah I will see how it goes there is one on here in market place but way North of me asking $4200.00 & it says it was just shopped ...... worst case is I spend my Saturday driving a hundred plus miles back & forth

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I would personally go with WH20 for a few reasons:
1. It is a classic game and is highly unlikely to be remade - so there are a limited number available.
2. WH20 is increasing in value - living outside of the US they will become increasingly more difficult to find.
3. GB is the "flavor of the month" right now. In a few months people will be dumping them while complaining about how the magnetic slings suck and the code is unfinished.
4. When Stern announces their first color game - fanboys will be raving about how the new pin with a color display is the most awesome thing ever!!
You can pick up a GB at a bargain price then.

What's a bargain stern made in the last few years? Mustang/WWE? $4300? Stern pins have surpassed B/W in bang for the buck..you might lose a few hundred dollars if you decide to sell in a year or two, but it's more reliable and everything is brand new. You'll spend $300 fixing a 25 year old pin in the next few years..

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

You'll spend $300 fixing a 25 year old pin in the next few years..

not necessarily. Once the games are in good playing condition they usually stay that way. Unless you buy a real heap and don't know what you are getting--surprises. Once up and running all my "older" games require zero cash other than typical cleaning. New doesn't always mean better.

Quoted from Msch:

Stern pins have surpassed B/W in bang for the buck

That seems like a stretch. Try and imagine stern making some of the great 90's B/W titles today and think of the price tag they'd put on all those features. Is there something above an LE?

#86 7 years ago

you definitely get more depth these days with modern games. that's why I really think B/W games will become less and less desirable as time goes on. Prices will start falling. How many B/W titles went up for sale to fund GB? I bet quite a few. out with the old in with the new. That's the way pinball usually goes. That's why it's not a wise to have a lot of money tied up in old B/W titles. if you get them cheap, sure. if your paying current rate or higher, I think it's a bad move long term.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

How many B/W titles went up for sale to fund GB? I bet quite a few.

I agree, but how many Sterns went out also? I sold my Met for it.

#88 7 years ago

i'm sure plenty did, but many did because a lot of people on here only own newer sterns.

MET for GB? I dont' know if that's what I would have sacrificed for GB. MET is a great game. out of your collection I would have ditched Dirty harry and WH20 before MET. Even pinball magic. Since I just sold mine to make a space for GB.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'm sure plenty did, but many did because a lot of people on here only own newer sterns.
MET for GB? I dont' know if that's what I would have sacrificed for GB. MET is a great game.

Gotta cycle them out...and Sterns are the big ticket items I have that I am willing to get rid of. But true, I had to sell NGG to get GOT...but GOT will leave for another Stern.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I would not pay $5K for WH2O, even in fantastic condition, but that's me. I wouldn't turn one down again but I see it closer to 2500 (for me).

Good luck. I sold one for $2500 about 10 years ago.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

out of your collection I would have ditched Dirty harry and WH20 before MET. Even pinball magic. Since I just sold mine to make a space for GB.

Oh it's personal now eh?
But there are a lot of things that go into deciding. DH isn't worth enough monies for me to part with it. It's a great game, someday it will leave, but not enough to go through the work of a sale. Wh20 is an all time fave, and Pinball Magic I went through hell with so there's a little personal action there. Mainly it's aboot room...I have enough room now that I don't have to be pushed to get rid of anything. It'll happen though...no doubt aboot that.
You're the one that famously says you need a lot of games of something to know if you like it. I have 10,000 lifetime plays on Wh20 and still love it...trade that for flavor of the week GB? Not me.

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh it's personal now eh?
But there are a lot of things that go into deciding. DH isn't worth enough monies for me to part with it. It's a great game, someday it will leave, but not enough to go through the work of a sale. Wh20 is an all time fave, and Pinball Magic I went through hell with so there's a little personal action there. Mainly it's aboot room...I have enough room now that I don't have to be pushed to get rid of anything. It'll happen though...no doubt aboot that.
You're the one that famously says you need a lot of games of something to know if you like it. I have 10,000 lifetime plays on Wh20 and still love it...trade that for flavor of the week GB? Not me.

totally understand and I commend you on the diversity of your collection. Definitely not cookie cutter. Kudos.

#93 7 years ago

Another consideration... what will GB look like after 10 years of playing, compared to same play on WH20.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

Boring quick? Are we talking about the same game???
Had my White Water since 2000 and still love it.

Agreed. Had mine for 10 years. Not boring yet.

Let's see if gb lasts in homes that long. Well know in 10 years

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Let's see if gb lasts in homes that long. Well know in 10 years

It might take that long for the final code.

#96 7 years ago

Do you really think stern will be tardy with code on their most popular game to date? This game will be the most sold stern rather shortly.

#97 7 years ago

White Water any day of the week.

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Do you really think stern will be tardy with code on their most popular game to date?

Of course

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Do you really think stern will be tardy with code on their most popular game to date? This game will be the most sold stern rather shortly.

until the next "big thing" that everyone dumps their sterns to buy....

#100 7 years ago

I don't think you guys appreciate the gravity of GB. This isn't just the "next big thing".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 12.95
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 103.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
17,250 (OBO)
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-pick-ghostbusters-vs-white-water/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.