(Topic ID: 112328)

Help me pick a single pin for $5k

By nosro

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

+1 for LOTR. Heavily played by anyone that comes to my house. The other that gets played a lot is the STLE. I would not recommend Tron as your one pin if your criteria includes stuff for non-pinheads wanting to play a casual game. It is my personal favorite but most folks who don't know the rules on it are kind of lost and just trying to keep the ball alive which isn't super easy.

#52 9 years ago

Another vote for TSPP coming from an owner of a one pin collection.

Super deep for you. Guests can slam the garage and grasp getting a ball locked on the couch easily. Even has an easy multiball to get for noobs with itchy. Theme recognizable to all ages and family friendly.

Close thread.

#53 9 years ago

I LOVE TSPP, but I don't think it meets your criteria. It's far too hard for newbies to grasp. Starting MB -- other than an Itchy and Scratchy lucky shot -- is a challenge for most newbs. The game is pure awesome, but I wouldn't recommend it based on the fact you want casual players to enjoy it.

One thing I have observed over the years is a great game has an easy MB for the casual player, but depth and challenge for the more skilled player. MB, MM, AFM, ToM, etc. all have this characteristic.

I'd suggest Spiderman, JP, or Theatre of Magic.

Spidy is my fav of the three. Great game. Challenging, deep, lots to do and will keep you entertained. A very easy MB you can easily explain to guests -- first Doc Oc award. They can smash on Sandman and feel they are accomplishing something as well. Throw a shaker in there and it's heaven.

JP is a blast and has a gimmie MB. On the third ball, you can simply press the smart missile and get MB. The more experienced player will use it to get big awards and select the right time to use it. It's got a good mix of rules and a fantastic gimmick -- the T-Rex. The pinball eating dinosaur was a hit among my kids and their friends. That combined with the gimmie MB ensured there was always a line up for it when my kids had a party. True story: one little guy was standing in front of another game and asked what button he had to press to get MB. When I said only JP did that, he went back to the line up for JP! LOL! All that said, I found the game got old after awhile and sold it. My kids missed that one the most, and that speak volumes.

ToM is a fun game, but eventually gets pretty easy. That said, it was my most popular game among adults when I had it especially among the ladies. And everyone loves the MB. The ball lifting off the playfield and onto the trunk is a neat effect. Really easy to explain MB to even the most casual player. Very disappointing wizard mode, though. I haven't followed the prices on this one as I don't miss it one bit. It might be slightly outside your max price point.

IJ is another one to consider. Great family theme. MB is pretty easy to start. Lots of modes for you and more experienced players. Only draw back is unbalanced rules. Modes really aren't worth anything. Instead you focus only on MB to get a good score. Once I realized that, it killed the game for me. Still, it was a hit when I had it.

Cheers,
Duane

#54 9 years ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I appreciate all the thoughtful comments here.

Anyone have any thoughts on POTC as a sole machine?

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

One thing I have observed over the years is a great game has an easy MB for the casual player, but depth and challenge for the more skilled player. MB, MM, AFM, ToM, etc. all have this characteristic.

This is a very interesting insight to me.

#56 9 years ago

POTC is a funny one for me ,it's the only I don't play but loved by the other 6 members of the house .
It would be the second last one I would ever get rid of ,Funhouse being the last.

#57 9 years ago

LOTR, TOTAN, AFM (if you can get a great deal)

#58 9 years ago

To me, you are describing PotC.

It's easy, fun for novice players but hard enough for advanced players.

I would also say imo IM is a heck of a game, can be made somewat easier with the way you option the Monger starting requirement. But I think it would be great for a group to play since it's shorter ball times as well as the ability to come from behind if you have a great o e ball.

Also Tron, I would think you can find a decent one for $5000?

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I appreciate all the thoughtful comments here.
Anyone have any thoughts on POTC as a sole machine?

I think it's great, and great staying power especially for casual players or people who don't especially know how to play pinball, it's kind of good to learn how to sink the ship and work up from there.

I don't think I'd pick it for my only pin if I had just one, I would pick XMLE or IM or TRON or ACDC premium. So many good picks.

But if you were asking my recommendation as a first or only pin for a game room, that is more for kids or older people (my father-in-law) who may have a harder time with the super fast ball motion on some of the more intense pjns like IM, I really stand by PotC as a very solid game. mine has been around 7-8 years and remarkably bulletproof as well.

#60 9 years ago

I have POTC in my collection and myself and my kids both love it. Multiball is pretty easy to start and middle of the play field is wide open.. Personally I like it and its second behind Metallica in my stern games, but it is more family friendly than Metallica. Go for it!!

#61 9 years ago
#62 9 years ago

Spider-man. Unless you don't like the theme, it has it all.

#63 9 years ago

Indiana jones. Great deep game, timeless theme, easy stuff to go for and for an advanced player harder stuff. A ton of game for 5k and there is one for 4900 that I'd probably drive to toledo for ya
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ft-junkyard-ohio

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I am thinking of reducing the number of pins in my house to a single machine in order to make room for some non-pinball things. The machine should:
1) be family friendly. (We have young kids.)
2) be appealing to first time players. (Most people who visit our home have never played a pinball machine or haven't played one in decades.)
3) have staying power for an enthusiast (me and my older son).
What ideas do you have for a single pin collection? I'm open to reading any previous threads covering this topic.
Some ideas I had include:
- White Water
- Twilight Zone

Wanted to mention that the ST that you are trading out for a single game pin collection fits all the criteria you mentioned above. What pins based on theme and playability can be enjoyed by my 8 year old son, my 74 year old father and myself? I came up with MONO also, but ST is way better IMHO. Newbies and long time players enjoy it and it is beautiful, especially with Aurich's translite.

So some one get an offer going on the OP's ST and enjoy it.

For you I would say TSPP or LOTR. Happy hunting!

#65 9 years ago

TAF all the way.

#67 9 years ago

Actually, I've decided to sell or trade my TSPP. Thus, I'm changing my vote from LOTR to TSPP...wanna buy one?

#68 9 years ago

You're so far away!

#69 9 years ago

Get a TAF..everyone should own one at least once. After that, some keep it..some move on.
Just seems to be a right of passage for most.
OK, IMHO

Edit: When and if you get one..it's just a cool feeling that you own one..I only felt this way about a select few.
That being said..I no longer have mine.

#70 9 years ago

Stern's Indiana Jones is extremely underrated and you can pick one up for a fantastic price. Excellent theme, appeals to newbies and pros alike. Everyone that visits is wowed by the lights and sound especially when they get that 8 -ball multiball . My kids can't get off it.

#71 9 years ago

I thought POTC was too easy, IMO. The 'yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me' got real old, real fast, too.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Excellent theme, appeals to newbies and pros alike

Maybe if the only pro you talk to is Leo Daniels.

#74 9 years ago

Depends on your family, I guess. Some people would say that something like LOTR isn't family friendly, while I think it would be great. I'd like a Batman: The Dark Knight, myself. Everyone knows Batman. Lots to do and all kinds of cool toys for people to play with. IJ also seems like a great suggestion. Actually, there are tons of good suggestions here.

If I could have my pick of any of them, though, I think I'd end up going with Wizard of OZ, myself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.95
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-pick-a-single-pin-for-5k/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.