Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1201 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0068 (resized).JPG
    Bambi Christmas sm (resized).jpg
    backglass hdr1 (resized).jpg
    playfield 5 (resized).jpg
    image-5 (resized).jpg
    2388506766_2966bb6a8f_o (resized).jpg
    178 (resized).jpg
    176 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0474 (resized).PNG
    image-6 (resized).jpg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Would like to hear your ideas for a good EM that fits certain criteria;
    Must have at least one spinner
    Has standard flipper configuration (small or large ok)
    One or two Player. (exception could be made for a 4-Player if all other requirements met or heartily endorsed)
    Affordable, not a top-tier unless a Project.
    Will convert to chimes so sound doesn't matter
    No majority pink color
    A couple of years ago drop-targets were all the rage, now it seems spinner games are non-existent. Any Diamonds in the least desirable category for spinner machines?

#2 6 years ago

Bally is the best for Spinner games IMO.

Hokus Pokus is fun and challenging game in which you chase down the usual ABCD Bally letters from the mid 70's. Love the artwork and colors too. Three Spinners to keep you busy. Good one for competition as well. These typically sell in the $500.00 range in good shape:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=hokus+pokus&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1206

image-6 (resized).jpgimage-6 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Bally Hokus Pokus is a fun and challenging game.

But you know how pins tend to multiply.
    Don't buy Hocus Pocus unless you figure on adding Theatre of Magic and Capcom Pinball Magic later on.

#4 6 years ago

Hi phil-lee
    here an ipdb-search - 1965+, 2 to 4 players: http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&yr=1965-99&pl=2-4&ft=spinning+target&sortby=mfg&searchtype=advanced - may want to have a look at the "ratings" (?). Greetings Rolf

#5 6 years ago

There’s a lot of Gottlieb games that use a spinner creatively. FunLand and Buccaneer come to mind as games that use a spinner to spot randomized targets.

#6 6 years ago

Snow Derby is a fun two player. If you are willing to go four player, you can't go wrong with Williams Grand Prix or Aztec. These are some of my favorite spinner games ever!

#7 6 years ago

FunLand sounds good. Buccaneer is a given, since if I don't like it a good friend wants one.
    I hear you EM-Pinguy, I missed a Hocus Pocus local back in the Summer. I would like to restore a Bally, since I have made a stab at Williams and Gottlieb.
    I do lean toward Williams.

#8 6 years ago

Put an add in your local Craigslist area. Say "Wanted modern / solid state Pinball machine NOT looking for Electromechanical EM machines"

You will have 3 calls within the week trying to sell you an EM.

#9 6 years ago

No more Wanted Ads on Craigslist. Last year I was offered a killer deal on 7 machines and couldn't do it due to broken ribs.
    I guess I could make a specific Machine request in the off chance someone sees it. First want to narrow it down.

#10 6 years ago

Yeah, Aztec or Gran Prix have spinners that really rip when you nail them.

#11 6 years ago

Best EM spinner game is Fun Park. It also comes complete with two inch flippers and bells.

#12 6 years ago

But if you prefer a single player game with the longer flippers and chimes, it's got to be Bon Voyage.

#13 6 years ago

So far (in order of desirability)
    Snow Derby (Looks straight up, great Theme and color)
    Fun Park (Odin's opinion is to be respected, even when you hate to agree)
    Aztek (Always been floating around in the back of my mind, missed several chances)
    Hocus Pokus
    Bon Voyage (This one looks cool, like one I played a long time ago or owned in another life)

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

(Odin's opinion is to be respected, even when you hate to agree)

I totally agree!

Yeah, Bon Voyage can be had at a fair price, and very good single player rules. The one I had stuck around for quite a while. And the spinner is well located for ripping. Fun Park would be a little harder to find and it's replay brother Fun Land doesn't have as good of rules

Of the multiplayers, Grand Prix and Hokus Pokus were fun to shoot with ripping spinners but lacked much depth unless you had someone to play with. Surfer and Surf Champ probably aren't what you are going to want in a spinner game as it looks like it was an afterthought and the shot leads to nowhere.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Yeah, Aztec or Gran Prix have spinners that really rip when you nail them.

i agree 1000% 2 of the best competitive spinner games ever made

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Fun Park (Odin's opinion is to be respected, even when you hate to agree)

Fun Park actually is a nice player, the thing is, only 580 ( I believe) were produced for the Add-a-Ball States.
    Many more of the Replay version (Funland) were made..
    I have a few with spinners, but for the ones presently set up would be Fun Park, Gottlieb Surfer,
    Bow and Arrow, Old Chicago, and Grand Prix which all get played during gatherings, but if one does
    get played more than the others, I'd have to say Grand Prix. I did have a Hokus Pokus and kinda
    wish I had hung onto it. For some reason, the spinners on that H.P. would Rip..

#17 6 years ago

There is an Aztec in Louisville for sale

IMG_0474 (resized).PNGIMG_0474 (resized).PNG

#18 6 years ago

No slight Odin, always look for your Posts. I respect someone with the Lineup you have, all good games.
    Grand Prix does intimidate me a little with so many working mechanisms. I do like its 2 player cousin Space Odyssey.
    The 2-Player version of Surfer seems to be highly rated by a lot of Folks.

#19 6 years ago

Four players, but what about Hot Tip or Hang Glider? I'm a fan of Aztec!

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Grand Prix does intimidate me a little with so many working mechanisms. I do like its 2 player cousin Space Odyssey.
    The 2-Player version of Surfer seems to be highly rated by a lot of Folks.

Grand Prix is fully loaded alright and it's been a while since I played an Aztec, but like I mentioned, Surfer isn't really known for it's spinner. Truth is I don't know what makes that game so popular, didn't last long here, but it's probably not the spinner.

#21 6 years ago

I don't own a Surfer / Champ but it seems to me that the spinner is in an unusual place on the playfield and hence you don't get the satisfaction of seeing the ball continue on further on the play field..... right in front of a pop bumper looks out of place.

#22 6 years ago

Super nice Aztek Budman. My 70 Chevy pickup has a comfort range of 160 miles one way. Kentucky may be stretching it unless I rent a van.
    Right now just trying to narrow it down to 1 Ultimate and 2 desirables. Then the search begins.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Surfer / Champ but it seems to me that the spinner is in an unusual place on the playfield and hence you don't get the satisfaction of seeing the ball continue on further on the play field..... right in front of a pop bumper looks out of place.

That's what I meant.

A variety of features for sure in a non symmetrical layout, but gets old fast. Even being a surfer myself, not a fan of the art package either. Easy game to sell though..

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Surfer isn't really known for it's spinner.

True, but I do like Surfer, but surely not because of the spinner. Have to shoot
    for the Drops and Lit Rollover buttons..
    Unlike lets say Old Chicago, Grand Prix is a good game for all levels.
    An occasional pinball player can still get a pretty good score..

#25 6 years ago

List updated
    Snow Derby (Intrigued by this one)
    Bon Voyage (I remember this Machine now,an Airport Bar...)
    Knockout (Funky version of the Elvis Boxers meets Wiggler. Yeah,this machine has a History, but the layout looks great!
    Aztek. Pretty machine. Little more Research..

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Bon Voyage (I remember this Machine now,an Airport Bar...)

That's quite the appropriate place for one. And if it is a single player game you seek, I'm drawing a blank trying to come up with something comparable.

#27 6 years ago

Yep Grand Prix and Aztec. Put a drop of zoom spout oil on the shafts and when you hit the sweet spot the chimes come to life!
    Some of the best music in pinball

#28 6 years ago

I may be one of the few that wasn’t all that impressed with Aztec. That right kicking lane that feeds to the pop bumper always gets the ball stuck in a loop. Kinda a bummer.

Take a look at Outer Space. It’s a 2 Shot game, but they’re two really good shots.

#29 6 years ago

Check out Wild Card, it's on pinball arcade to test out. A great spinner in the middle that can be ripped by either flipper, and can grant a ton of points once lit.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

List updated

Knockout (Funky version of the Elvis Boxers meets Wiggler. Yeah,this machine has a History, but the layout looks great!

I played Knockout extensively as a kid. I found it a pretty easy game to beat, but that was 40+ years ago....lol. If all you want to do is mostly shoot spinners, then I agree Grand Prix is probably the best bet. You might want to look at the EM version of Night Rider as well, it has similar concepts. For something with more variety in the layout and a spinner, Top Score (300) is one that has not been mentioned yet.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Take a look at Outer Space. It’s a 2 Shot game, but they’re two really good shots.

So is Red Baron. Surprised nobody's mentioned that one yet

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Take a look at Outer Space.

Missed on this past Spring, that won't happen again.

Quoted from SergioJ:

Night Rider as well

The Backlglass kills it for me, though it is highly rated as far as gameplay. Not out of the question.

Quoted from SergioJ:

Top Score (300)

I really like the looks of this Game, several have come available lately but too far to drive.

#33 6 years ago

Top score, 300, Soccer, and Super Soccer all are fun spinner pins with great backbox animation.
    They have on the playfeild bonus collect- kinda rare for a EM.
    They are also cheap and have very fun competitive play.

#34 6 years ago

Bally "Bow and Arrow" and Williams "Blue Chip" are good spinner games.

#35 6 years ago

PokerJake, Wild Card looks great! As long as I'm dreaming this goes on the "Ultimate" list.
    Snow Derby is a strong second, really like its "In your face"
    Bon Voyage comes in a close third, I have seen one of these in 4 years for a decent price.
    Aztek looks fun as well, like the Art.
    There is a Blue Chip near me listed at 1400 dollars. I actually like the Art. Play looks good,another Sleeper. Too much, though.
    Soccer is out.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Bally "Bow and Arrow" and Williams "Blue Chip" are good spinner games.

Indeed.

And if you want two ripping spinners and 4 chimes and aren't dead set on an EM, take a look at 1978's Stern Stars. I can't praise this game enough.

#37 6 years ago

I have a feeling that what you are recommending is always Ultimate and many times unobtainium.
    Still,I appreciate the Info.
    All of the early SS/EM configurations I have seen featured beeps. I look forward to watching a few videos on the transition machines.
    Stern Stars will be the first.
    On a side note Bally Bow and Arrow went from a 550 dollar game to an expensive find in these parts. It may be worth it in some cases, somebody here coined it "the Best Bally EM Ever".
    Thanks,Everyone for the recommendations, all good.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I have a feeling that what you are recommending is always Ultimate and many times unobtainium.
    Still,I appreciate the Info.
    All of the early SS/EM configurations I have seen featured beeps. I look forward to watching a few videos on the transition machines.
    Stern Stars will be the first.

I paid $350 for my Stars and my buddy bought one for $500. But it is the ultimate. Same guy Steve Kirk helped design Fun Park. He's the spinner king. The boards are basic early Bally and are cheap. And NO BEEPS! Just chimes.

It easily replaced Grand Prix, Hokus Pokus, Surfer, and all the rest except Fun Park. No going back now!

#39 6 years ago

Bally Night Rider. Cheap, 2 spinners, lots of drops, no pink, a hot waitress, a truck, and an epic moustache. What more could you want?

#40 6 years ago

Williams space odyssey

#41 6 years ago

I like Prospector it has got 2 spinners in the middle of the playfield . Not as aesy to find as other games though .

#42 6 years ago

Ship Ahoy (AAB) is a fun game. Lighting all 11 numbers can be a challenge and the spinner is very helpful to lighting #8 & #9 and a ball saver to lighting #6 & #7. Hitting the spinner at just the right angle will get you past the center bumper. Hitting either #8 or #9 from the ends of the flippers is a real satisfying shot. #10 & #11 are also possible from the flippers with a little bit of luck.

176 (resized).jpg176 (resized).jpg

178 (resized).jpg178 (resized).jpg

#43 6 years ago

I own Grand Prix, Aztec, and Surf champ. If you're looking for incredibly satisfying spinner action, Grand Prix is the one.

Although I enjoy the other two, there's a reason they're on the chopping block for sale

#44 6 years ago

Top Score is another spinner game that's pretty fun. Cool backglass animation as well.
    Personally I would go with Bon Voyage or Night Rider. Something to be said for nice artwork.

#45 6 years ago

Gottlieb Soccer.

#46 6 years ago

I just picked up a Space Mission. It has a very satisfying spinner shot. Segasa Monaco is another one I have owned with a very similar layout and great spinner shot. I've got a project Grand Prix squirreled away too. I was itching for a spinner game and that was the first one that came to mind. Gran Prix is all about the spinners but also one of the few games I have a nostalgic connection to.

#47 6 years ago

Add a spinner mod and you are golden!

2388506766_2966bb6a8f_o (resized).jpg2388506766_2966bb6a8f_o (resized).jpg

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So is Red Baron. Surprised nobody's mentioned that one yet

I used to call those wiggle waggle spinners since they really didn't want to spin. But we played a lot of Blue Max when it came out.

#49 6 years ago

You might as well just go with the original.

image-5 (resized).jpgimage-5 (resized).jpg

#50 6 years ago

Bow and Arrow is probably my favorite spinner game. Amigo is a fun cheap spinner game with excellent artwork but otherwise, doesn't have much else going for it.

There are basically three ways a spinner was used.

1. Pure points. Usually has a "when lit" increased value. Aztec, Amigo, Space Mission, Wizard.

2. A Spinner that advances a sequence of lights towards a larger goal (usually advancing bonus). Outer Space, bow and Arrow, King Kool.

3. Spin and Spot:. Spinner advances a set of lights (often arrows). And once it stops, it times out and "spots" the light it lands on. Funland, Buccaneer.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-pick-a-em?hl=flamingo43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.