Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Help pick my next pin. This will be my only pin for now”

• AC/DC Pro with many mods 13 votes
      10%
    • Shadow and Judge Dredd (players conditions) 34 votes
      27%
    • TWD pro with mods 13 votes
      10%
    • The Simpsons Pinball Party 10 votes
      8%
    • LOTR- if I could find one cheap enough that's not beat to hell 19 votes
      15%
    • Funhouse and Demo Man 11 votes
      9%
    • Whirlwind and Demo Man 7 votes
      5%
    • Just wait and get a GB pro 21 votes
      16%

(128 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Just sold my Stern Star Trek Promium, which I loved, and on the search for something else. I need your help.

The problem: I'm not made of money. This will be my only pin and I play about 10-15 games a day. No where local to play pinball either.

What I'm looking for: low maintenance, mode-based and somewhat deep, plenty to shoot at, able to mod, great looking.

Please offer your suggestions and thoughts. I know you all are going to say "it depends on what you are looking for" haha. I want something that's a challenge that isn't going to bore me after a month or until I can afford another machine instead of just selling one to replace the only one I have. I love all games and themes I listed in the poll. Thanks again for the help.

#2 8 years ago

Do you have access to buy these games? There is 9 different games you mentioned. I am referring to the older games. NIB can be bought directly from distributers, which is not a problem.

#3 8 years ago

My thought is just to find the older ones as they come available on pinside or craigslist. I'll drive if I have to. I'll pay what is average for that title. Newer games I'd buy used huo or in good condition, they lose a lot of money off the lot, so I'm good with used.

#4 8 years ago

I do have access to some for purchase.

#5 8 years ago

I voted for the FH and DM option. However, LOTR is a really close second. But if u r playing that much daily then 2 games is better for an occasional change of pace. FH is a masterpiece and I think has has long-term playability. Not super familiar with DM as I have only played it a few times but, if it was me, that is how I would try to swing it.

#7 8 years ago

A lot of room available with tall ceilings. If I had money I could probably always house 10 or so.

#8 8 years ago

Not voting as I haven't played all of them, but I would lean towards too fun players over one newer/expensive machine for variety. Plus it's always better when multiple machines are playing at the same time!

Luck!

#9 8 years ago

I would go for shadow and jd, if you play 15 games a day you will get sick of 1 pin fast.

#10 8 years ago

It does kinda depend on your goal... if it's to never own more than 1 or 2 games at a time (I can see space isn't an issue, but maybe you are only interested in having $5k, total, invested into your pinball hobby at any given time), then 2 games- even 2 mediocre games- is almost always more interesting/ less boring than only one great game. I, personally, would never be able to get down to only 1 game.
    But, if your goal is to one day fill up that available space you have, then I would use your $5k for quaility and depth, and, so yes, just one game- a LOTR (deep for sure), TWD, ACDC, even the FH /DM combo (from your choices), although no experience with DM.

#11 8 years ago

Great advice so far guys, thanks. I will own more machines some day, but probably wont be able to sink 5k again for another couple years, maybe 2-3k a year. The goal is at least five machines at some point.

#12 8 years ago

I voted for TSPP. I would do that or LOTR. I've had both and currently own TSPP. It's a toss up in my book. They are both awesome and have a ton to do! Also there are lots of mods for both games.

#13 8 years ago

PiNitration, do you feel like lotr is worth an extra 1-1200 compared to Tspp, based on fun and depth and challenge? I like both themes

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I would go for shadow and jd, if you play 15 games a day you will get sick of 1 pin fast.

I agree. If you are only going to have 2 pins to play for the foreseeable future you will get burned out on one pin only (I can tell you from experience). TS and JD are very different games. Between getting beat up playing TS it will be nice to have longer ball times on JD. Just my opinion though. No matter what you can't go wrong, it's pinball after all! GLWYS

#15 8 years ago

IMO The Shadow is the best game on your list by a mile.
    I would go with
    Other:Shadow and Demo Man

#16 8 years ago

Sounds like two pins over a newer one is being favored here. Interesting oldschool that you'd take demo man over dredd. Don't hear that too often but something about demo man for me is appealing too.

#17 8 years ago

I haven't played enough of these to offer an opinion there, but I would go for 2 over 1 as its harder to get bored when you can switch back and forth.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

PiNitration, do you feel like lotr is worth an extra 1-1200 compared to Tspp, based on fun and depth and challenge? I like both themes

No. I would personally take the TSPP if it's $1000-$1200 less. But I've had 2 LOTRs and I've played them to death. I've also had two TSPPs though and have played them a lot too. I would buy another LOTR in a heartbeat though....Man I guess it's a tough decision! I'd say go for the TSPP if it were up to me. They will both hold their values well, so you can always sell them if you don't like them. They are both killer games and will hold your attention for a while. I like the Simpsons theme better. Which theme do you prefer?

#19 8 years ago

No matter how good GBs might be it doesn't trump a JD and TS, unless you've had them in your collection for a while and r done with them and sell to finance GB's then those 2 are the clear choice. LOTR's would be my second then GB's, but I would wait 6 months to a year for GBs code to be finalized. Good Luck

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

No matter how good GBs might be it doesn't trump a JD and TS, unless you've had them in your collection for a while and r done with them and sell to finance GB's then those 2 are the clear choice. LOTR's would be my second then GB's, but I would wait 6 months to a year for GBs code to be finalized. Good Luck

Great point.

Quoted from NightTrain:

No. I would personally take the TSPP if it's $1000-$1200 less. But I've had 2 LOTRs and I've played them to death. I've also had two TSPPs though and have played them a lot too. I would buy another LOTR in a heartbeat though....Man I guess it's a tough decision! I'd say go for the TSPP if it were up to me. They will both hold their values well, so you can always sell them if you don't like them. They are both killer games and will hold your attention for a while. I like the Simpsons theme better. Which theme do you prefer?

I'm a big lotr film fan so probably moreso that theme, but for 1200 more than tspp, it would have to be a hell of a lot more fun. I don't have enough time on both to know long term playability. I do worry about lotr being vaulted soon and dropping the value of the original. I don't see tspp being vaulted.

#21 8 years ago

Can't go wrong with lord of the rings, it's my grail an lucky enough to own one, how ever , it's full on an once u have a big game on that, there's no way you want to jump back on an try to get through it again, it really translates well an you feel like your in the movies but like the movies it takes a long time to get through. For a one game collection for the moment I would go with walking dead pro, I think that game is bad ass!!! Keeps you very interested with a lot going on, I prefer the pro th the premium Le models, I really think walking dead is a great game in every way, can't fault it. Have you thought about mustang or Metallica pro? 2 games I rate very high with a lot going on.

#22 8 years ago

You can easily hate LOTR or TSPP. I would do what you can to get some time on them before you decide. They're both fun imo, but I would get sick of both fast if that's all I had at home. They're both deep games which means a lot of chopping wood.

I'd get 2 games in the 2-3k range if I were you. Any combo of what you have listed would be nice. If you liked the shots on Star Trek maybe you should look for anoter Richie game like No Fear or The Getaway

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from whisper:

Can't go wrong with lord of the rings, it's my grail an lucky enough to own one, how ever , it's full on an once u have a big game on that, there's no way you want to jump back on an try to get through it again, it really translates well an you feel like your in the movies but like the movies it takes a long time to get through. For a one game collection for the moment I would go with walking dead pro, I think that game is bad ass!!! Keeps you very interested with a lot going on, I prefer the pro th the premium Le models, I really think walking dead is a great game in every way, can't fault it. Have you thought about mustang or Metallica pro? 2 games I rate very high with a lot going on.

Do not like the themes at all. I'll have to admit that Metallica is damn good fun but dislike the music very much and not much on the art either, but I do respect it.

Quoted from chubtoad13:

You can easily hate LOTR or TSPP. I would do what you can to get some time on them before you decide. They're both fun imo, but I would get sick of both fast if that's all I had at home. They're both deep games which means a lot of chopping wood.
    I'd get 2 games in the 2-3k range if I were you. Any combo of what you have listed would be nice. If you liked the shots on Star Trek maybe you should look for anoter Richie game like No Fear or The Getaway

I never thought about a deep game being a pain to get back on. I always thought of the benefit of it being deep and taking time to beat. Really good point. Maybe I need to look at a cheap Tspp and a very cheap fast pin like tomcat. I am a huge Twd fan but everything I hear about those pop bumpers and magnet sdtm scare the hell out of me. Otherwise I would have already bought one. Thanks again guys. I overthink things.

#24 8 years ago

Whirlwind might be the best game up there, and you're telling me you get a whole 'nother great pinball machine with it when you buy that one? That's my choice.

#25 8 years ago

Funhouse and shadow?

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from BrooklynDrug:

Funhouse and shadow?

That would be great but for some reason fh value has become silly so I couldn't afford both. That would be a killer combo though.

#27 8 years ago

I voted LOTR but not the only good choice. It's great to have a pinball machine at home. All of those are fun games, whatever you decide. I say go with the theme that calls to you. If I only had space for one, I'd probably trade it once a year for a small loss to enjoy the variety.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I'm a big lotr film fan so probably moreso that theme, but for 1200 more than tspp, it would have to be a hell of a lot more fun.

It is, if you love those films then its a no brainer, amazing pin.

#29 8 years ago

2 pins is better then 1. 1 pin you will get bored with any title I would say. You need a change up.

#30 8 years ago

Well looks like I should get a players condition shadow and Dredd. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 weeks later
    #31 7 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone!

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago

First what's should I buy poll that actually helped?

#33 7 years ago

Tspp is a hell of a good game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-pick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.