Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

red-2 (resized).jpg
red-1 (resized).jpg
redplayfield (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PatrickATX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I am trying to lock in this red color for my Coquette, and just can't figure it out. I thought someone might have a good idea. Obviously photos and computer monitors are not any way to calibrate true colors, but this is a fair depiction of what it looks like. I have Createx Opaque Red, and Transparent Sunset Red. The PF red is like some flourescent red. The more you look at it, the more you see black in there and some other hue of red. I keep thinking there must be something else to get it close. Any ideas from the pros?

redplayfield (resized).jpgredplayfield (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Sad face
I tried again tonight to mix this color.
Any other brands but Createx that people have had success mixing for airbrush?

#9 5 years ago

All great advice. I have some text right in the center lane that sits in a sea of red, so I was hoping to get close enough not to have to redo that. I have yet to get into redoing text and was hoping to avoid that. Any suggestions on high quality airbrush paints other than Createx?

2 weeks later
#13 5 years ago

Here are the results, certainly amateurish but I learned a lot from the whole PF. First, Createx are great paints and I won't mess with other brands. But the only way to get consistent results for me, is to use only the opaque colors. When using opaque, color matching non-reds is pretty easy. Createx only has a standard red in their line, and getting it near the orange red is much more difficult than just adding white and yellow. That red looks soooo easy, just take red and add yellow right? I tried and tried, and my wife is an artist. I got these results using some of their detail paints which are semi-transparent. So what you get is a paint that looks a little like jello.

Lessons learned in general:
- Every color on my old PF needed yellow. The wood underneath is a yellow and so is the shellac or whatever coating over the old paint. Add Yellow on old PFs
- Frisket is amazing, but if I ever do this again, I will airbrush all blocks of color instead of selectively. You get some difficult transitions from old to new.
- The only way to get good circles is with water decals. I painted these by hand and nibbled away edges to get a decent result.
- Fine black edge lines with a knife take some practice. The capillary effect is either on or off and getting consistent results requires some experience.

Hope this helps someone.

red-1 (resized).jpgred-1 (resized).jpgred-2 (resized).jpgred-2 (resized).jpg
#15 5 years ago

Yep definitely gonna clear it with 2PAC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PatrickATX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-mix-this-red-color-please?tu=PatrickATX and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.