Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PatrickATX
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

red-2 (resized).jpg
red-1 (resized).jpg
redplayfield (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I am trying to lock in this red color for my Coquette, and just can't figure it out. I thought someone might have a good idea. Obviously photos and computer monitors are not any way to calibrate true colors, but this is a fair depiction of what it looks like. I have Createx Opaque Red, and Transparent Sunset Red. The PF red is like some flourescent red. The more you look at it, the more you see black in there and some other hue of red. I keep thinking there must be something else to get it close. Any ideas from the pros?

redplayfield (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Sad face
I tried again tonight to mix this color.
Any other brands but Createx that people have had success mixing for airbrush?

#3 1 year ago

Hard to tell from the photo. You can drag it a little toward orange with yellow, or purple with blue.

You can desaturate the colour with green if you feel it needs to be dulled down.

Can you show samples of the dried paint against what you are matching? Paint on glass or Mylar and lay it on top.

I use Createx semi-opaque auto air.

The original ink was screened onto an opaque white base.

#4 1 year ago

While i'm not an art expert. Here is a question for you. Is that red, painted over a white base?
You will have to match the way it was silkscreened to get the red right.

#5 1 year ago

Red is the hardest color to match. If you are clear coating this PF it might be easier to get as close as possible to the color and just repaint all the red for uniformity. Good luck. Following this to see if you figure it out.

#6 1 year ago

If you cant get it, just mask all the red and airbrush the whole thing, like said red covers like crap

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Red is the hardest color to match

It's difficult because it's a primary color. If you need it to be more "red", the only solution would be to buy a deeper red.
The trick to matching colors: dab a small amount of the paint directly on the color you're matching. dry it with hot air, or wait till it air dries. Take a rag with naphtha and wipe over the dab of paint and look at it wet compared to the playfield color.
What do you see?

I have lots of primary colors (red, blue, yellow) for this very reason.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

It's difficult because it's a primary color. If you need it to be more "red", the only solution would be to buy a deeper red.
The trick to matching colors: dab a small amount of the paint directly on the color you're matching. dry it with hot air, or wait till it air dries. Take a rag with naphtha and wipe over the dab of paint and look at it wet compared to the playfield color.
What do you see?
I have lots of primary colors (red, blue, yellow) for this very reason.

Yeah that's why I suggest just repainting all red with a new red that is close. Matching Red is self torture.

#9 1 year ago

All great advice. I have some text right in the center lane that sits in a sea of red, so I was hoping to get close enough not to have to redo that. I have yet to get into redoing text and was hoping to avoid that. Any suggestions on high quality airbrush paints other than Createx?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from PatrickATX:

Any suggestions on high quality airbrush paints other than Createx?

I know people complain about the hobby lobby or joann faberics but I have used quite alot with no problems, but i use there paint thinner (not sure what it is) but you have to thin it out cause it almost like paste.

#11 1 year ago

Howd it turn out?

#12 1 year ago

Lighten the opaque red with a small amount of white then add a bit of yellow.

1 week later
#13 1 year ago

Here are the results, certainly amateurish but I learned a lot from the whole PF. First, Createx are great paints and I won't mess with other brands. But the only way to get consistent results for me, is to use only the opaque colors. When using opaque, color matching non-reds is pretty easy. Createx only has a standard red in their line, and getting it near the orange red is much more difficult than just adding white and yellow. That red looks soooo easy, just take red and add yellow right? I tried and tried, and my wife is an artist. I got these results using some of their detail paints which are semi-transparent. So what you get is a paint that looks a little like jello.

Lessons learned in general:
- Every color on my old PF needed yellow. The wood underneath is a yellow and so is the shellac or whatever coating over the old paint. Add Yellow on old PFs
- Frisket is amazing, but if I ever do this again, I will airbrush all blocks of color instead of selectively. You get some difficult transitions from old to new.
- The only way to get good circles is with water decals. I painted these by hand and nibbled away edges to get a decent result.
- Fine black edge lines with a knife take some practice. The capillary effect is either on or off and getting consistent results requires some experience.

Hope this helps someone.

red-1 (resized).jpgred-2 (resized).jpg
#14 1 year ago

Looks good man. You gonna clear it?

#15 1 year ago

Yep definitely gonna clear it with 2PAC

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 4.95
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside