(Topic ID: 208360)

Help me identify a pin with almost zero clues.

By monsterbaldy

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Insane
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC02602 (resized).JPG
    DSC02593 (resized).JPG
    d16f0fef8aaaeadf028f8bcc17bfea575bbc43e7.jpg
    Playfield (resized).jpg
    zzzimage-19 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    DSCN5692 (resized).JPG
    zzz8f893afa63229967cf43caed0e2af6ca--little-pony-little-girls (resized).jpg
    LuckyAce (resized).jpg
    Four Square (resized).jpg
    Sun Valley IPDB (resized).png
    zzzBackglass_Animation (resized).jpg
    zz0535c247f9b5be25ea83eac7e21be20b (resized).jpg
    Woah Nellie (resized).jpg
    image-3 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

A co-worker of mine who is close to retirement really wants to get a pinball from his youth. The only thing he could remember about it is that it has 9 targets. When I pressed him on details I think they MIGHT be rollovers.

I immediately guessed strikes and spares, he said not bowling based.

When I asked what the theme was he could not remember. PINSIDE GO!

#2 6 years ago

How old is the guy, and when did he play the game? That would help at least narrow down the era. I assume if he's close to retirement it was an EM?

#3 6 years ago

Ugh...not giving enough info. This is a tuff one,ask your friend more questions.
    -Mike

#4 6 years ago

I mean, you are both right. I am working on him for information.

#5 6 years ago

Gottlieb Royal Flush / Card Whiz

#6 6 years ago

jacks open

#7 6 years ago

Ok, he played it in 1974.

I am not convinced the buttons aren't actually just inserts. He said there was a uniform grid of them in the middle of the playfield, maybe 3x3 or 4x4. I showed him space shuttle and he said it looked close, but was not it, and it doesn't match the time frame anyways.

-ben

#8 6 years ago

Dealer's Choice?

#9 6 years ago

Hot Line or Big Strike ?
    Those are rollover buttons in the grid BTW.

zzzimage-19 (resized).jpgzzzimage-19 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

OXO

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=OXO&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1733

*Edit* Oh, if he said Space Shuttle looked even remotely similar it ain't that..

#11 6 years ago

Space odyssey? 1976 though...

Playfield (resized).jpgPlayfield (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

Could be any game pre 1974 then.

Egg Head has 9 pop bumpers.

image-3 (resized).jpgimage-3 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

I'm good but not that good. Simply not enough to go on here to make any kind of even mildly educated ballpark guess.

It might not even be a pinball machine!

#14 6 years ago

1973 Williams Gulfstream?

Has a 3x3 grid numbered 1-9 in the center of the playfield.
    No separate nine targets though.

#15 6 years ago

does he remember if it had a bonus count up or not?

#16 6 years ago

If he doesn't remember the game that well, then it can't be TOO important to get that exact game as a replacement.
    Get him a Whoa Nellie. He'll love it!

Woah Nellie (resized).jpgWoah Nellie (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

Get him a hypnotist

#18 6 years ago

Being 1974, most likely 3" Flippers, but maybe not. If shown, does he
    remember if it had small flippers..

#19 6 years ago

Add in the human frailty of a poor memory or even worse, false memories, and it make this even harder.

Here's a couple of questions to ask. Others can add if they think of anything.
    1. Small or standard size flippers
    2. Any backglass animations. (Not flashing lights, .....animations)
    3. Names like Gottlieb, Bally or Williams.

Grab some pictures off the internet for example such as the small flipper or Buckroo animation.

zz0535c247f9b5be25ea83eac7e21be20b (resized).jpgzz0535c247f9b5be25ea83eac7e21be20b (resized).jpg
    zzzBackglass_Animation (resized).jpgzzzBackglass_Animation (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

Sun Valley IPDB (resized).pngSun Valley IPDB (resized).png

#22 6 years ago

Gottlieb Four Square? Was it a single or multiplayer?

Four Square (resized).jpgFour Square (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago

Ok, more clues. Sorry for the feed here but I have to translate his description to pinball speak. Anyways, he seemed very sure that there is an outlane and an inlane on each side, and somewhat sure there were 2 flippers in the middle area of the playfield.

So all together:

Orange "buttons" in a uniform grid pattern on middle or lower part of playfield (I'm not sure these are not inserts, but they might be buttons)
    2 inlanes, 2 outlanes.
    Played in 1974.

-ben

#24 6 years ago

1974 Lucky Ace? Dealers Choice (the multi-player) was guessed previously. Has 9 orange rollover buttons in a grid pattern.

LuckyAce (resized).jpgLuckyAce (resized).jpg

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

1974 Lucky Ace? Dealers Choice (the multi-player) was guess previously. Has 9 orange rollover buttons in a grid pattern.

You are thinking much faster than I am today. Maybe you can help me remember a game I played as a child.

All I remember is it was about 1968, it was in a donut shop, and it cost a nickel to play.

#26 6 years ago

Well I have a Lucky Ace so that makes it easier. 1968 huh? That was before the gold Schwinn Stingray. Not much to go on but I can tell you it wasn't El Toro.

#27 6 years ago

I always enjoy these and am blown away by how much people on this site know. Good stuff.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

it wasn't El Toro.

No it wasn't!. And i'm sure it wasn't Hot Line either because that was the one in the market across the street from that same donut shop.

I remember it being an older machine at the time and maybe I played it once or twice, but it was kind of neat as it only took a nickel instead of a dime.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

All I remember is it was about 1968, it was in a donut shop, and it cost a nickel to play.

zzz8f893afa63229967cf43caed0e2af6ca--little-pony-little-girls (resized).jpgzzz8f893afa63229967cf43caed0e2af6ca--little-pony-little-girls (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No it wasn't!. And i'm sure it wasn't Hot Line either because that was the one in the market across the street from that same donut shop.
    I remember it being an older machine at the time and maybe I played it once or twice, but it was kind of neat as it only took a nickel instead of a dime.

The 1960 Williams games I've owned were a dime a play. So it was earlier or a different manufacturer. Narrowing it down.

#31 6 years ago

Nope. That was out front of the local supermarket.

I guess when you were 6 years old in the late 60s, it never crossed your mind how important it would be to remember each pinball machine that you played as you were nearing senility later on in life.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

different manufacturer. Narrowing it down.

No wonder I can't remember it.

#33 6 years ago

I have an idea!

After that donut shop went away it became a BBQ restaurant in the same building, and now it is a cell phone store. A place that I never felt the need to venture into. It's only a few blocks from here. Maybe if I go in there and stand in the very spot where that machine was it might all come back to me.

But then again, I never thought much about it when I was in there chowing down on ribs, but at that time that's where the kitchen was.

#34 6 years ago

Well, so much for that cell phone store. I don't think I'll remember anything if I go inside this place. Dunkers Delight Donuts is long gone.

Just as well. I think I'll go rake some leaves now.

DSCN5692 (resized).JPGDSCN5692 (resized).JPG

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You are thinking much faster than I am today. Maybe you can help me remember a game I played as a child.

Silver Crest Donuts. San Francisco.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Silver Crest Donuts. San Francisco.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

1974 Lucky Ace? Dealers Choice (the multi-player) was guessed previously. Has 9 orange rollover buttons in a grid pattern.

Is there another williams game like this with the orange buttons lower on the pf and inlanes on both sides?

-ben

#38 6 years ago

Ok, maybe it's time to put your friend to work on this.

Below is a link to the Pinball database. Assuming you have correctly narrowed it down to a Williams, electromechanical machine, I have used the advance search feature and that link will take you to a list of Williams EM games made between 1967 and 1977.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&mfgid=351&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

If he doesnt spot his game there and you come up with new search criteria, let me know and I'd be glad do another search base on the new info.

#39 6 years ago

Also found a Gulfstream but I don't think this is it without the orange buttons.

zzzimage-19 (resized).jpgzzzimage-19 (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago

Williams toledo?

Playfield (resized).jpgPlayfield (resized).jpg

#41 6 years ago

Is he sure it's 74? Mystic is jumping out at me as an option...

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Mystic has a grid, but it's not roll overs, just lights. But "grid and nine targets" had me thinking Mystic at first too.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Mystic has a grid, but it's not roll overs, just lights. But "grid and nine targets" had me thinking Mystic at first too.

Yeah I was thinking that too but it sounded like it was maybe rollovers and maybe not? Admittedly I read the thread pretty quick

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I believe he said he "played" it in 1974. It could have been a routed game of that year or any number of the years preceding.

1 week later
    #45 6 years ago

Not to bring this back from the dead...but did you ever figure it out?! I need to know lol!

#46 6 years ago

'77 Firequeen has 9 drop targets! Also check Vulcan it's the 4 player version!

d16f0fef8aaaeadf028f8bcc17bfea575bbc43e7.jpgd16f0fef8aaaeadf028f8bcc17bfea575bbc43e7.jpg

#47 6 years ago

Here is the Dealer's Choice.

DSC02593 (resized).JPGDSC02593 (resized).JPG

DSC02602 (resized).JPGDSC02602 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-identify-a-pin-with-almost-zero-clues?hl=kevindrives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.