Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by j_m_
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00266 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0143 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bsquared.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Bought a DMD clock awhile back and I absolutely love it, but the DMD has an issue.

Basically I have a very faint vertical line that is always semi-lit (it's in the P in the photo). It's very hard to see and almost goes away if it's powered off long enough. I've done the test and no pixels are out, everything looks fine, and all the animations display OK.

I'm sure you experts can help me to diagnose the issue!

Thanks IMG_0143 (resized).JPGIMG_0143 (resized).JPGIMG_0143 (resized).JPGIMG_0143 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I assume this is an LED DMD and runs off of 5 or 12V. I think you are seeing a tiny gap in between the 8X8 (or 10x or 12x) led segments that is illuminated by light reflected from the inside of the panel. I think painting the gap with a sharpy or black paint will help minimize the issue.
    Of course you'd have to take the clock apart to do it.

That seems like it would be a relatively straightforward fix, but on close inspection it is actually a line of dots and not a blank space. If you look closely at the picture and count 3 dots over from the left side of the P in PM you'll see that it lines up.

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

If that's one of the LED DMDs, then I've seen that before. I can't tell you what causes it. I've seen it mostly in new Stern games. The course of action was to get Stern to send a new DMD.

Hmmph, I suppose a new DMD will be in order if it gets really bad then.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Look closely at the line. Is just one dot in the line not lit? If so, you can replace that square of leds and the line will go away.

Yes that looks to be the case. It's funny though because when hit the power switch (but leave it plugged in), that unlit dot lights up to full brightness. It also works fine during animations.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bsquared.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-identify-a-dmd-problem?tu=bsquared and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.