IMG_0992 (resized).JPG
IMG_0901 (resized).JPG
Untitled (resized).png
IMG_0639 (resized).JPG
IMG_0640 (resized).JPG
IMG_0202 (resized).JPG
IMG_0196 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I've been working on repairing a Stern MPU-200 board that came with my project Star Gazer for the last couple of months. Up until now I've tracked progress on my https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-gazer-rising/ thread, but I think it's time to get more experienced eyes on this.

I am trying to learn as I go here, which is why I haven't just bought a replacement board or sent it off for repair, so bear with me please.

The board had some mild battery damage along the bottom edge and below the 5101 socket.
IMG_0196 (resized).JPGIMG_0196 (resized).JPG
IMG_0202 (resized).JPGIMG_0202 (resized).JPG

I cleaned up the MPU board, cut out the bottom 1/2 of the U8 socket, and removed C8 and C23. These were the only components that seemed to have any contact with the alkaline. I used the toilet bowl cleaner method to neutralize the alkalinity on the board.

I replaced the bottom 1/2 of the U8 socket, and put in new capacitors for C23 and C8. The board trace for U8, pin 8 (ground) was shot so I used a small jumper wire there to work around the missing trace.

Then I added a new large capacitor to replace the orignal battery so the volatile memory will be preserved so long a the game gets turned on relatively often, which is fine for my needs/usage.

Finally, I covered the exposed ground traces with solder to avoid future corrosion.

IMG_0639 (resized).JPGIMG_0639 (resized).JPG

IMG_0640 (resized).JPGIMG_0640 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

How many flashes are you getting?

#3 7 years ago

On my workbench, using my ATX powersupply, the MPU comes up with a locked on red LED.

I've been following the steps from the PinWiki article (http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#LED_locked_on):

Using my logic probe on U9, pin 40, it stays [EDIT] high on power-up, with no blip to high at all.

Shorting U9, pin 40 and 39 doesn't do anything (possible it could jump start the boot sequence).

So I worked though the various tests as described in PinWiki using my multi-meter and logic probe...

Removed all ICs except U6, U9, U11, and the roms.

All of the following power readings are correct:
U6, U2 (ROM): +5 = pin 24, GND = pin 12
U9 (CPU): +5 = pin 8, GND = pin 1 or 21
U10,U11 (PIA): +5 = pin 20, GND = pin 1
U8 (5101): +5 = pin 22, GND = pin 8
U7 (6810): +5 = pin 24, GND = pin 1"

U9:
- P3, P36, P37=Pulsing (good clock)
- P2, P40 = 5vdc (good)

Except for this one:
- P5 = No pulse, low. (BAD)

According to PinWiki: "Check U9 Pin 5. This is the VMA line. It is a pulsing signal and reads about 2.8v with a DMM. If incorrect first try a new U9. Next check U14D, U15C, U19B. U15 is the most likely IC to have failed."

So I went ahead and ordered a new 6800 chip, and also the updated v9 roms for Star Gazer while I was at it (and some new 5101s in case those turn out to be bad too).

Using the new 6800 and roms give precisely the same readings and results.

Next, I tried replacing Q1 and Q2 as I had the transistors, still no change.

So, I could really use some advice on where to test next to further diagnose this board. Any help is appreciated.

#4 7 years ago

U9 pin 40 is Reset and should be sitting high except for a split second after applying power. CPU won't do anything if held in reset.
Therefore, there is no way to get VMA if the CPU isn't running

Focus on getting your reset circuit going.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

U9 pin 40 is Reset and should be sitting high except for a split second after applying power. CPU won't do anything if held in reset.
Therefore, there is no way to get VMA if the CPU isn't running
Focus on getting your reset circuit going.

Okay that makes sense re: no VMA.

I messed up in my post, U9 pin 40 stays high, not low.

Looking through the schematics for the reset circuit now...

#7 7 years ago

I think I have most of the components listed there, but not Q5, which is the one I want to replace next.

Based on findings while working on the SDB that was paired with this board I have reason to believe that it might have received more than 5v at some point (failed voltage regulator), so besides the transistors I guess any diodes in that circuit should also be replaced?

Nothing looks fried to look at it.

#8 7 years ago

Installed a new Q5, no change.

Tested voltages at each IC:

U9 p40: 5.29v
U10 p40: 4.98v (empty socket)
U11 p40 : 4.36v populated / 4.45v @ startup - this seems like it could be a problem, no??

U13 p24: 5.27v empty
U8 p24: 5.27v empty
U14 - U20: 4.97v

Any thoughts? Assuming U11 @ 4.36v is a problem, suggestions on how to debug that circuit?

#9 7 years ago

you said project pin? was it the original board?

I bought a replacement MPU-200 for my Flight 2000 from e-bay out of a Meteor and the jumpers were different

in your image it looks like your jumper combinations are different from the manual over at IPDB http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2346

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

you said project pin? was it the original board?
I bought a replacement MPU-200 for my Flight 2000 from e-bay out of a Meteor and the jumpers were different
in your image it looks like your jumper combinations are different from the manual over at IPDB http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2346

As far as I know this is the original board but this game was hacked up pretty good when I got it so could be from another game.

Good eye on the dip switches (?), but they only affect settings that wouldn't affect the board booting up AFAIK.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

As far as I know this is the original board but this game was hacked up pretty good when I got it so could be from another game.
Good eye on the dip switches (?), but they only affect settings that wouldn't affect the board booting up AFAIK.

There is jumpers for the roms

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

There is jumpers for the roms

Really? Where are they I can't find any?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Really? Where are they I can't find any?

They go between a lot of E## labeled points on the boards. There's one right between U9 and U10, for instance. They let you configure what kind of ROM you're using. If your rom is a replacement, they may not match the manual. Assuming the rom was in this board back when it did work they should be fine, but if you put these roms into this board they're worth checking

#14 7 years ago

yeah I looked again and saw jumpers seem correct for the chips there

http://www.twobits.com/stern_jumpers.html

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

yeah I looked again and saw jumpers seem correct for the chips there
http://www.twobits.com/stern_jumpers.html

Yeah, I managed to find them and they seem correct.

Thanks for the link.

So does anyone else think that 4.36v on pin 40 if U11 might be a problem?

I need to work back from there in the schematics to see what components might be in play.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Yeah, I managed to find them and they seem correct.
Thanks for the link.
So does anyone else think that 4.36v on pin 40 if U11 might be a problem?
I need to work back from there in the schematics to see what components might be in play.

if you short U9-39 to 40 does the boot start?

Jump to page #30 in http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/FO-560%20Repair%20Proceedures.pdf and start going through the steps.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Jump to page #30 in http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/FO-560%20Repair%20Proceedures.pdf and start going through the steps.

Thanks for the link! These look more detailed, I will run through them.

I previously used the steps in PinWiki and documented my results in https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-fix-this-stern-mpu-200-board#post-3594414. To answers your question, no, shorting the pins on U9 doesn't cause any change in the LED.

#18 7 years ago

A lost dataline or addressline can cause the same symptom; the locked on LED. Broken traces (lost connections) are not uncommon after battery corrosion, especially around the 5101 socket. You can just do a continuity test with a multimeter from the 6800 CPU to U6.

I coded a testrom for stern M200 with some decent memory tests for both 5101 chips. If you have a Eprom programmer and/or you are interested, send me a PM with your email address.

Marco

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Okay, started going through the procedure, here's what I've found:

>SYMPTOM IC: LED "ON" continuously

U9, Pin 3: Pass = 2.4VDC, reads 0.7VDC (fail)
U9, Pin 36: Pass = 2.6VDC, reads 2.5VDC (pass)

Since Pin 3 fails, next test is U16, pin 4, 5, and 10.
Says to check against voltages in schematic, but my schematic reading skills are poorish, doesn't list the voltages, seems like you'd have to calculate it based on the components in the circuit from a known voltage, so no idea what they should be..
Pin 4: reads 2.3VDC
Pin 5: reads 5.1 VDC
Pin 10: reads 2.14 VDC

These at least seem "reasonable", hopefully someone can confirm if they are the expected values or not. (?)

Assuming the U16 tests above are "pass", next test is to remove U9 and retest.
U9 socket only, pin 3: 0.7VDC (fail)

Solution: Replace U15.

So I also captured readings from each pin on U15, maybe someone here can comment if they look good/bad/ugly?

U15 (VDC)
P1: 2.3
P2: 2.3
P3: 2.2
P4: 5.2
P5: 2.1
P6: 2.0
P7: 2.4
P8: 0.03
P9: 0.7
P10: 2.2
P11: 2.2
P12: 2.5
P13: 2.2
P14: 5.4

These seem odd enough that I'll go ahead and replace U15, unless I hear otherwise.

#20 7 years ago

the 2.0 to 3.0 values your are seeing are typically on lines with rapidly changing values so you see a value between 0 and 5.

Here are the voltages I see for U9

4 4.8
5 3.0
10 2.4 (not sure on this one it's on the address bus)

I'd try replacing U15.

#21 7 years ago

Does your DMM check frequency? I have some $30 meters with this feature. The CPU has two clock phases generated by U15 and U16. They both must work.

The shot gun approach is this......

Remove the CPU chip.

Check with frequency counter CPU clock phase 1 at u9 pin 3 and phase 2 at u9 pin 37. Both sould be about 0.5mhz. Checking the average voltage with DMM you should see about 2.5vdc (checking vdc is not fool proof, but a 0v or 5v reading indicates a problem).

If one of the clock phases is bad, replace u15. Still bad replace U16. Still bad replace the ceramic caps around u16 that are not bypass caps.

Now check the external clock. U15 P3 for 0.5mhz or pulsing signal. If bad replace u15. Still bad replace u16

Plug the CPU back in and check again U9 p3 and U9 p37 for clock. If bad replace u9.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

So I also captured readings from each pin on U15, maybe someone here can comment if they look good/bad/ugly?
U15 (VDC)
P8: 0.03
P9: 0.7
P10: 2.2

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

Your readings here shouldnt be possible based on the schematic, p9 and p10 should be the same. Check again. If P8 really is low, U15 is probably bad.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

the 2.0 to 3.0 values your are seeing are typically on lines with rapidly changing values so you see a value between 0 and 5.
Here are the voltages I see for U9
4 4.8
5 3.0
10 2.4 (not sure on this one it's on the address bus)
I'd try replacing U15.

Yeah, retested mine and I'm getting these on U9:
P4 4.9
P5 0.28
P10 0.28

Quoted from barakandl:

Does your DMM check frequency? I have some $30 meters with this feature. The CPU has two clock phases generated by U15 and U16. They both must work.
The shot gun approach is this......
Remove the CPU chip.
Check with frequency counter CPU clock phase 1 at u9 pin 3 and phase 2 at u9 pin 37. Both sould be about 0.5mhz. Checking the average voltage with DMM you should see about 2.5vdc (checking vdc is not fool proof, but a 0v or 5v reading indicates a problem).
If one of the clock phases is bad, replace u15. Still bad replace U16. Still bad replace the ceramic caps around u16 that are not bypass caps.
Now check the external clock. U15 P3 for 0.5mhz or pulsing signal. If bad replace u15. Still bad replace u16
Plug the CPU back in and check again U9 p3 and U9 p37 for clock. If bad replace u9.

Not sure if my MM can check frequencies, I don't think so, it's a Fluke 73III:
IMG_0901 (resized).JPGIMG_0901 (resized).JPG

But I do have a logic probe. Here's what I get using that on U9:
P3 low & pulsing on probe, 0.7VDC on MM
P37 low & pulsing on probe, 2.4 VDC on MM

So likely at least a bad U15.

Quoted from barakandl:

Your readings here shouldnt be possible based on the schematic, p9 and p10 should be the same. Check again. If P8 really is low, U15 is probably bad.

You're right, transcription error! The correct readings from U16 are:
P1 4.85 P8 0.7
P2 4.85 P9 2.2
P3 0.19 P10 2.2
P4 0.18 P11 2.5
P5 2.0 P12 2.2
P6 4.85 P13 2.2
P7 0.01 P14 4.98

#24 7 years ago

So it looks like my U15 is bad at least, if these chips aren't too expensive I'd like to order the whole set that I might need to avoid additional shipping costs and delays. Any suggestions on where to acquire them all in one place?

#25 7 years ago

I will probably get shot in the face for saying this, but the money you spent on the Fluke cold have gotten you a mastech with tons more feature.

It wouldnt be yellow and it might be a hundredth of a volt off... Nerds and their toys....

Incoming fluke fanboy post..... 3 2 1....

Anyways.... replace U15, it is probably toast. You phase 1 clock isnt working. You can use a 7437 instead of 3459, its easier to find.

#26 7 years ago

great plains electronics will stock it

74S37

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I will probably get shot in the face for saying this, but the money you spent on the Fluke cold have gotten you a mastech with tons more feature.
It wouldnt be yellow and it might be a hundredth of a volt off... Nerds and their toys....
Incoming fluke fanboy post..... 3 2 1....
Anyways.... replace U15, it is probably toast. You phase 1 clock isnt working. You can use a 7437 instead of 3459, its easier to find.

Well, I was basically gifted that MM so didn't really go through a vigorous purchasing evaluation or anything.

So that chip is $0.90 at Great Plains. I should just get all the chips that might be bad on the board in case something else is wrong after I replace u15, no?

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Well, I was basically gifted that MM so didn't really go through a vigorous purchasing evaluation or anything.
So that chip is $0.90 at Great Plains. I should just get all the chips that might be bad on the board in case something else is wrong after I replace u15, no?

If you follow the steps I laid out above you can be pretty sure about what needs to be replaced.

Doesn't hurt to pick up the other devices too tho. GPE should stock them all. Consider doing the header pins and female crip contacts too, they are often a source of problems.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

If you follow the steps I laid out above you can be pretty sure about what needs to be replaced.
Doesn't hurt to pick up the other devices too tho. GPE should stock them all. Consider doing the header pins and female crip contacts too, they are often a source of problems.

I found your advice from another older thread:

"If you want to cover all your bases. Get a 4049 x2, 4052, 4011, 7400, 9062 as well. Your CPU is probably good, but it doesn't hurt to have a replacement. Having an extra PIA or two is a good idea as well."

So I've got these in my cart and will be ordering soon. The shipping is almost as much as the rest of the order so I'll just get them all in case I need them, and if not, there is always the "next" project.

4 weeks later
#30 7 years ago

Parts arrived and I replaced U15. After replacement no change in behavior, LED doesn't even flicker.

U15 MM voltage readings - original bad reading followed by new (good?) reading:

P1 4.85v 2.34v
P2 4.85v 2.34v
P3 0.19v 2.13v
P4 0.18v 3.74v
P5 2.0v 2.08v
P6 4.85v 2.34v
P7 0.01v 0.01v (ground, I believe)
P8 0.7v 2.34v
P9 2.2v 2.25v
P10 2.2v 2.25v
P11 2.5v 2.11v
P12 2.2v 2.35v
P13 2.2v 2.27v
P14 4.98v 5.11v

So those look better I think, maybe someone can confirm if these are consistent with a known good U15?

Since it didn't improve the LED lock on issue, I went ahead and replaced U16 as well. Unfortunately, I managed to damage the R26 11K resistor in the process, so need to pick one of these up before I can repair it and try the board again.

IMG_0992 (resized).JPGIMG_0992 (resized).JPG

8 months later
#31 6 years ago

It's been a long time but I've finally gotten around to looking at this board again.

Since I last worked on it I've added a desolding station to my workbench which makes replacing components a lot faster/easier. I replaced R26 and decided to shotgun replace all the components included in the Bally -35 Battery corrosion repair kit which also covers the Stern SB-200.

I'm super pleased to report that it worked! The board is booting fine again and I've put it back into the game.

Many thanks for all the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-fix-this-stern-mpu-200-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.