• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-298.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

edited: (please see my last post regarding the $150) Me and my brother had 3 of our machines on at the same time and we were playing 2 or them, our lotr was the game that was not being played but all of a sudden this occured. https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=545BVeXiNhc.
If someone knows what might have happened please let me know. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

#2 9 years ago

I assume you tried cycling power.

Will it respond if you try to reflash the firmware?

#3 9 years ago

I'm a newb. The only thing i did was turn it on and off a few times. It did allow me to play the game once since this accured. The dmd started working but the playfield lights didn't. After the 1 game it went back to blinking again/not working. How do you cycle the power?

#4 9 years ago

you can't flash firmware on whitestar. it's a rom swap.
It is most likely a CPU board problem. Is there any alkaline damage around the battery pack?
The 6264 ram below and to the right of the battery pack have any corrosion?
Try reseating all the socketed chips on the CPU board and report back.

#5 9 years ago

I am away from the machine right now but will check it out. Thanks guys

#6 9 years ago

Cycling power is just a fancy way of saying "turn it off and turn it back on" which you already did.

I would go with CPU/ROM problem as well. dgoett is right, no firmware flashing on Whitestar but there's a lot you can try before you should buy new ROMs. Try reseating all the socketed chips on the CPU as dgoett suggested and go from there.

#7 9 years ago

Remove the translite, check fuses and whether all leds are lit on power and MPU board. Check batteries too.
This'll help troubleshooting further, if you dont have a manual download one

#8 9 years ago

My mistake on the firmware, sorry. My Rings has been gone too long.

While you're in the head, give a press on all the gray ribbon cable connectors..

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

My mistake on the firmware, sorry. My Rings has been gone too long.
While you're in the head, give a press on all the gray ribbon cable connectors.

Great suggestion. Or, maybe even better, reseat (pull out and plug back in) each gray ribbon cable. This effectively "cleans" the connector pins. It's an old Clay trick that has helped me quite often with these kinds of strange issues.

You could even take some more time and re-seat *all* connectors in the back box. Just to make sure all connections are solid.

But please make sure you plug everything back in the right way, especially with ribbon connectors, these can be inserted 1-pin offset and you don't want that. So use a good light to make sure all is connected properly *before* turning the game back on.

Hope that helps!!

#10 9 years ago

Yeah, I was gonna say that then remembered Stern likes to hot-glue the ribbon conns. Trying to pull them off can be nigh impossible. Couldn't remember if Rings had the glue or not.

Quoted from Gizza:

Great suggestion. Or, maybe even better, reseat (pull out and plug back in) each gray ribbon cable. This effectively "cleans" the connector pins. It's an old Clay trick that has helped me quite often with these kinds of strange issues..
You could even take some more time and re-seat *all* connectors in the back box. Just to make sure all connections are solid.
But please make sure you plug everything back in the right way, especially with ribbon connectors, these can be inserted 1-pin offset and you don't want that. So use a good light to make sure all is connected properly *before* turning the game back on.
Hope that helps!

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Yeah, I was gonna say that then remembered Stern likes to hot-glue the ribbon conns. Trying to pull them off can be nigh impossible. Couldn't remember if Rings had the glue or not.

Didn't know this. That seems stupid. Bet THAT makes for easy troubleshooting.

#12 9 years ago

Also try reseating the game eprom. Find that this is the problem some of the times with a resetting whitestar game.

1 month later
#13 9 years ago

Update: i tried reseating the greyribbon connector and was able to reseat 1 but another one felt like it might have been glued. The game is no longer flashing like the video shows. I am able to play it but most of the playfield will not light up. There was battery corrosion on the chip right below the batteries. See pics. I'm taking my time with this because i'm learning as i go. Never worked on a pin before.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-298.jpgimage-298.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Is that chip removable? Sorry i'm sure some of these questions might sound really dumb lol.

#15 9 years ago

yes, that chip is the main game eprom. I would recommend changing it and probably also getting someone to change the socket for that chip.

#16 9 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/EPROM1871
New A10 EPROM for Lord of the Rings $10.00

I would definately change this as its the source of your strange behaviour.
Have someone replace the EPROM socket with a nice Machine Pin Socket as kbliznick suggested

3 months later
#17 9 years ago

I replaced the eprom and that did not fix the problem. Does anyone live in the Winchester, Virginia area who has experience working on pins who would be willing to stop by and take a look at it at my machine? I will pay $150 cash if you can fix the issue. I will of course pay for any parts that you may need as well. I have a feeling my board may need sodering if I have very little experience in at this point. Please pm me for more details. I'm new to working on pins and just feel like I need some extra help on this.

#18 9 years ago

You're gonna need someone to do some detailed board work. When you get battery acid damage it can be minor or severe. Usually not something that someone is gonna be able to fix at your location. They need to put the board on a bench and it could take hours. I would suggest sending it to Coin Op Cauldron.

http://webpages.charter.net/coinopcauldron/brepairs.html

Some pinsiders can do board repair as well. Barakandl maybe?

#19 9 years ago

Can't go wrong with sending it to Clive. He does my boards when I can't figure them out.

#20 9 years ago

Major thanks. I will check them out.

#21 9 years ago

I had a similar problem as it was due to a failure of a proprietary chip on the power board. It took almost 4 months before K's Arcade could get the chip from stern. Bought a replacement board in the interim. Try swapping out with another white star board.

#22 9 years ago

Sending the board to Clive at Coinop Cauldron would be my suggestion as well. Will cost under $150. The only downside is that he might be a little backlogged. The good news is that you have 2 other games to play. When you disconnect the game just take a few pictures or label the connectors so its easy to hook it back up. Should take 5 min to remove and replace.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from TravisRT1985:

Update: i tried reseating the greyribbon connector and was able to reseat 1 but another one felt like it might have been glued. The game is no longer flashing like the video shows. I am able to play it but most of the playfield will not light up. There was battery corrosion on the chip right below the batteries. See pics. I'm taking my time with this because i'm learning as i go. Never worked on a pin before.

Clean the battery corrosion, and replace and damaged parts (eprom).

But if it plays and is just missing the lights now that you've clean it up and reseated the cables then replace the controlled lamp fuse that has blown.

The flashing the controlled lamps really bright on and off (and blowing the bulbs and fuses) is sign of battery corrosion on the whitestar boards, they go into this state when they can't load their rom; a crappy failure mode, but a sure sign that there is a problem around the rom socket.

When the controlled lamps get flashed in this manner they get over powered and then the controlled lamp fuse blows. Then you get no playfield lamps. That seems to be where you are now...

The manual is available here.... http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/4858/Stern_2003_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_English_Manual_complete.pdf

Page 1 lists the fuses, you're looking for F22, controlled lamp fuse; replace with correct size replacement fuse.

Make sure you clean the corrosion off the machine, and not just close it back up if you fix it, else the corrosion will continue to eat at and harm the machine and the repair later will be much, much worse.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Mrjamma:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/EPROM1871
New A10 EPROM for Lord of the Rings $10.00
I would definately change this as its the source of your strange behaviour.
Have someone replace the EPROM socket with a nice Machine Pin Socket as kbliznick suggested

Or buy your ROMS from me and support a pinsider

I'd recommend using a good quality wipe socket. Machine pin sockets are evil

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Or buy your ROMS from me and support a pinsider
I'd recommend using a good quality wipe socket. Machine pin sockets are evil

Trust John. Got my Safe Cracker ROM today. Thanks for the fast service.

#26 9 years ago

I am in Stafford and have a LOTR. While I won't be up in Winchester any time soon - if you want to remove the board and bring it to me - we can go through it, replace the socket (I should have plenty) and test it in my game before you leave. Just a thought - and the only thing it will cost you is gas and your time getting here. Cheers,
Ray

#27 9 years ago

John sells new chips at low prices. Plus he uses those fancy holographic sickers.

#28 9 years ago

Kudos to Ray!!

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

I am in Stafford and have a LOTR. While I won't be up in Winchester any time soon - if you want to remove the board and bring it to me - we can go through it, replace the socket (I should have plenty) and test it in my game before you leave. Just a thought - and the only thing it will cost you is gas and your time getting here. Cheers,
Ray

Dude, this is the best thing about Pinside.
Guys like you, helping guys like the rest of us.

#30 9 years ago

I've got Ray on speed dial.

#31 9 years ago

Thanks guys. Happy to help whenever I can! This forum has helped me tremendously over the last couple of years and I am very grateful. Any time I can pay it forward - I most definitely will jump at the opportunity!

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

I am in Stafford and have a LOTR. While I won't be up in Winchester any time soon - if you want to remove the board and bring it to me - we can go through it, replace the socket (I should have plenty) and test it in my game before you leave. Just a thought - and the only thing it will cost you is gas and your time getting here. Cheers,Ray

wow thank you for the great offer. pm sent.

#33 9 years ago

You've got mail

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-fix-my-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.