(Topic ID: 231629)

Help me fix my AC/DC - Drop Target Bank won't reset (only when all 3 drops down)

By dr_spidey

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dent00
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20201107_123243 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201107_123222 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have so far been able to fix my older games, but have zero experience on newer games.

Game works for a while
Then the drop target reset starts freaking out and then fuse blows

I keep blowing F8 - 50VDC coils

I got readings on all the test points and this is what I'm getting

5V = 5
12V = 13.1
-12V = -13.8
20V = 23.2
50V = 75.6!!!

I did a quick check on the 50V bridge rectifier in circuit and I think it's testing OK.

Where else should i look?

Thanks
Rob

#2 5 years ago

coil diode?
Don't think that is, looks like there are NO diodes.

#3 5 years ago

Those voltage readings I got are from the Power Board.
So isn't the issue somewhere on the Board itself?

#4 5 years ago

How does the drop target reset start freaking out. Are some of the drop targets not latching on reset and the coil keeps machine gunning trying to get all the targets latched.?

#5 5 years ago

That’s basically what happens.

I was in the middle of a game. The 5-bank AC/DC drops (it’s always this bank) started shotgunning up and down. Usually I would just shut the game off and that seems to fix everything. But I was having a great game. Was up to 555 million. So I kept playing hoping it would stop.

Eventually the ball ended up in the canon and never came out

F8 blown

Everything is now fine - once I replace the fuse

But I’ve done this loop like 5 times now.

You think it’s the drop targets not catching?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

You think it’s the drop targets not catching?

Sounds like it is in the drop bank to me also.
Does the plunger move freely with the machine off, try to eliminate mechanical binding?

#7 5 years ago

There is a post on here somewhere about the latching problem, especially as the targets wear. I made a shim to move the latching deck out a little and it solved the machine gun problem. Mine was never severe enough to blow a fuse though !

#8 5 years ago

In checking the drops I am now remembering that when I got the machine it had issues latching. It had a bad Opto switch. When I swapped that out I thought I fixed it.

It worked for a while but now it’s happening again.

Optos seem fine now though

I’ll play around with the latching and see if that works

But does it matter that my voltage on the board at the 50v is way high at 75 v?

#9 5 years ago

I played a bunch of games. It definitely struggles to reset the drops. Generally taking 2-3 tries to get them to stay. Even the TNT targets. I hadn't noticed as I rarely hit the TNT targets.

So I decided to take both drop targets apart and completely clean them. I figured since they are apart i'll put in new coil sleeves, spring washers, and get a new Rest Ledge. So will be a week beore I can put it back together and see if that fixes the problem

I'm still wondering why I get 75V at the 50v check point on the power board.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

I played a bunch of games. It definitely struggles to reset the drops. Generally taking 2-3 tries to get them to stay. Even the TNT targets. I hadn't noticed as I rarely hit the TNT targets.
So I decided to take both drop targets apart and completely clean them. I figured since they are apart i'll put in new coil sleeves, spring washers, and get a new Rest Ledge. So will be a week beore I can put it back together and see if that fixes the problem
I'm still wondering why I get 75V at the 50v check point on the power board.

It's normal. The power is a sinusoidal pattern and RMS is related to the peak voltage of the power signal by the square root of 2 (1.41), so a 50v coil will read in the 75v range factoring that there's also a ~5v buffer built in for power lag.

#11 5 years ago

Cool. Thanks

Hopefully the deep clean of the drops solves my problem

#12 5 years ago

I seem to remember back in 2012 when I bought my game one of the target banks would machine gun. Then would blow a fuse. Tried cleaning optos but problem returned. Pretty sure my solution was to replace drop target opto board.

1 week later
#13 5 years ago

Took both Drops apart

General Cleaning
New Coil sleeves, spring washer, Rest ledge

So far so good
I'm hoping problem solved

1 year later
#14 3 years ago

This problem is back again
New ledge not helping this time

The A-C-lightning bolt 3 bank (of the 5 bank) is the issue

It appears to not reset all the way. It only seems to be an issue when all three drops are down. If 2 of the 3 down, it makes it all the way up and resets

I went into switch test, and all switches fine

When I just manually try to reset the bank, it definitely has some resistance when the drops are down. If they are up, it moves freely

Any thoughts?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

This problem is back again
New ledge not helping this time
The A-C-lightning bolt 3 bank (of the 5 bank) is the issue
It appears to not reset all the way. It only seems to be an issue when all three drops are down. If 2 of the 3 down, it makes it all the way up and resets
I went into switch test, and all switches fine
When I just manually try to reset the bank, it definitely has some resistance when the drops are down. If they are up, it moves freely
Any thoughts?

Refresh my memory, so if 2 of the 3 are down it resets properly, but if any 1 of those 3 is down, it doesn't even try to reset, or it resets unsuccessfully?

#16 3 years ago

No

If any 1 or 2 are down, it resets fine

It’s when all three are down it can’t seem to overcome the resistance.

I put in new coil sleeves
That didn’t seem to help

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

No
If any 1 or 2 are down, it resets fine
It’s when all three are down it can’t seem to overcome the resistance.
I put in new coil sleeves
That didn’t seem to help

So if all three are down it machine-guns the bank reset?

#19 3 years ago

Update

Took it apart again. Really cleaned the drop targets and the washers. Seems to be working now.
I guess there was just enough resistance preventing it from resetting

Let's see how long it works

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

Update
Took it apart again. Really cleaned the drop targets and the washers. Seems to be working now.
I guess there was just enough resistance preventing it from resetting
Let's see how long it works

Awesome news. That 5 target bank can be bitchy. I know from experience.

#21 3 years ago

I have a similar problem with the 5 target bank reseting, although it is not a severe problem yet.
I decided to replace the 3 target card and I found this guy on Ebay that sells some boards at a reasonable price to help with this situation. This one is for the 3 target opto card:
ebay.com link: New opto board replaces Stern 520 5252 03 is easy to repair more rugged
He also sells a similar board for the 2 target opto card.
ebay.com link: New dual opto board replaces Stern 520 5252 02 is easy to repair more rugged

1 month later
#22 3 years ago

I rebuilt my 5 drop target bank to attempt to correct my problem with the lightning bolt target not reseting. What I found on mine was that the optos were working fine. However, the 3 target reset bracket was loose on the plunger because a screw that holds the bracket to the plunger was not tight. See attached photos of said screw. This loose bracket made the lightning bolt target require several bumps from the reset coil in order to reset normally.

IMG_20201107_123222 (resized).jpgIMG_20201107_123222 (resized).jpgIMG_20201107_123243 (resized).jpgIMG_20201107_123243 (resized).jpg
#23 3 years ago

I rebuilt my entire 5 target drop target bank. I replaced all the springs on the target bank, including the drop springs and reset compression springs. I replaced all the plastic targets, the plastic ledge and put on new decals and also installed new opto cards and cleaned the entire assembly after I took it all apart. Now, when I fire the cannon at the target bank, sometimes the targets don't get hit hard enough to drop more than one target. It seems that if you hit just one target, it falls normally most of the time. Before replacing all those springs, dropping 2 targets at once was a normal occurrence. I guess after the new targets and springs get used for a while, the targets will fall with less force when hit and operate as they did before the rebuild. The good news is that the entire target bank resets normally every time now and I do mean every time. No more repeated "bumping" on the reset to reset all the targets. So, that problem has been solved on my machine, but it is now a little bit harder to drop the targets than it was before the rebuild.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

17,000 (Firm)
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-fix-my-ac-dc-premium-keep-blowing-f8-fuse?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.