• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
dragon2 (resized).jpg
dragon1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider semicolin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So I want to clone the sound board for Interflip Dragon. I'm sick of folks going without their Baooooooo, and a small batch of them wouldn't be hard to get together and have around. Most everything can be done with modern components, but the audio coil is eluding me. It's easy enough to find centre-tapped audio coils, but I'm trying to find a) the coil/impedance values and b) a reasonably priced source for the component.

So... can you help me?

(Also, would anyone be interested in a board if I did a run?)

dragon1 (resized).jpgdragon1 (resized).jpgdragon2 (resized).jpgdragon2 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

You need an impedance bridge to measure the transformer. I have one, but I'm not in your area. You need to find an audio or ham radio hobby fan in your area. They will have one.
I'm assuming there are no other markings or numbers on the transformer?

I'm VA3CSG... and I don't have one. Heh.

Nah, I know I can measure this out, but I figured I'd ask the folks here in case someone already has replaced the part or is familiar with Interflip's parts notation... or has better documentation than I do.

I'll stick my head deeper into the cabinet later as there may be additional markings on the side of the component.

2 weeks later
#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

Funny you that should mention making a repro board.
I'm in the process as well. I'm currently populating some repro boards for a Bally Midnight Marauders for another pinside member. As soon as I'm done I'm sending him the boards and my dragon sound board. The guy will then design me a new board.
Hope one of us makes a good repro soon. I'm tired of fixing these originals!

Keep me posted: if you've got an actual engineer working on it they're going to do a better job than I will. I was planning on just doing a direct copy with tweaks made for obsolete components. I don't really want to get into the repro business; I've just seen enough posts and knew that it's within my skill level and I have one I can copy.

#8 5 years ago

I think, though, that we might be overthinking it. I might just build my circuit, get a few inexpensive audio transformers, and just try them. This doesn't strike me as the kind of thing with tight tolerances; just a need for isolation.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from hazmat7719:

If you figure out the correct input and output impedance, try Allied Electronics, Digi-Key, Mouser or Newark. They sell PCB mount audio transformers.

Saving this link for later: https://www.alliedelec.com/stancor-ttpc-6/70213326/

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Semi,
Is the pin footprint the same?

Identical, and it's the only one physically identical currently available within a price range that makes sense. It's also a 600:600CT, which would have been an available and common component back when this board was designed... so it has a non-zero chance of working out.

There's a big price jump on other impedance xfos that fit this package profile, often approaching $20/each, probably because they're less common. If a direct reproduction board is going to cost hundreds of dollars because of obsolete components, then the board needs to be re-engineered with a new circuit design.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Unisex
$ 16.99
Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Cabinet parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider semicolin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-find-this-audio-transformer?tu=semicolin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.