• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jahkub
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gdfgs (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jahkub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm just hoping someone has run across this before, maybe my search terms were bad but I haven't found anything quite like this issue.

The symptom: During play, the sound will quickly fade out over ~2 seconds and at the same time all solenoids lose power. After a variable but usually short time, say 20-45 seconds, the sound and solenoid power returns with the current game still in progress. It generally happens after a couple minutes of play. Lamps and score displays remain unaffected. He hasn't had it happen when on the lower PF, but he doesn't spend much time down there so I can't rule it out. The only other oddity reported is that the shoot again light remains on for the entire game after being lit, it awards the extra ball and just stays on until another game is started. Probably not related, but odd considering the new boards.

Work done on his game:
Ground mods to all backbox boards
All electrolytic caps replaced top and bottom
Aftermarket MPU, Driver, and Power board (I can't remember the brands ATM)
Extra grounds added on the connector between the MPU and Driver
Pull up resistors added to lower PF transistors
Edge connections on old boards cleaned with eraser (no crimps replaced)
New bridge rectifiers
All LED except chase lamps
All grounds tied together before the ground plate in the cabinet
That's all I can think of at the moment.

I'm really hoping someone has seen this behavior before and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Have you repinned any of the connectors? I would at least do the .156" power connectors, the J5/J6 on the MPU and both sides of the interconnect harness.

I think I did put new crimps on those connectors but I'll double check next time I'm there.

Quoted from Cheddar:

so 1 theory is the solenoid power is cutting out and then returning after something cools down. Next time it does it pop the backbox open and test this voltage on the power supply, the coils and the sound board aux power supply.

I had tested the aux power board and was missing some of the voltages during the problem, although I can't remember exactly which as it was some weeks ago.
As best I can tell, the main power to the aux board comes from the 24vDC bridge, the 12vDC bridge, and the 12vAC from the transformer. So no real connection to the 38vDC power there. Although I see now that the 24vDC powers the T, Q, and U relays. So something is likely pulling down the 24vDC line?

Quoted from frenchmarky:

So the 'shoot again' light stays on as the game continues, and the light (or both lights, one on backglass too) stays on even at 'game over' status?

I can't confirm that the backglass lamp is also on, but yes, it stays on into the game over status.

#6 2 years ago

So at this point my idea is to inspect this circuit on the aux power board, along with the connections leading to it.gdfgs (resized).pnggdfgs (resized).png

I'm all ears for more thoughts though.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

You said you repinned but didn't do any recrimps. That's only half the job

I think I did put new crimps on the power board connectors as that was the only new board I installed. So new board, I accidentally said re-pinned above, I'll edit the post.

#13 2 years ago

I really appreciate all the responses! I'll set up a time with my friend to dig in further soon.

3 months later
#14 2 years ago

So the problem with the "soft reset" was the rottendog power board replacement, it has no 5v adjustment and was perfectly at 5v allowing almost no room for sag. Something was occasionally dragging the 5v down just enough to cause things to fade out, but not enough to reset the game. I rebuilt the original power board, set it to 5.1v, and all is well. Silly me for thinking a new board would be more reliable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jahkub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-find-the-last-gremlin-in-my-friends-black-hole?tu=Jahkub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.