• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jahkub
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gdfgs (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Have you repinned any of the connectors? I would at least do the .156" power connectors, the J5/J6 on the MPU and both sides of the interconnect harness.

This is key. The crimps get tarnished (or corroded if the battery leaked) and can cause all sorts of problems.

ALSO: there are 3 relays under the playfield. All coil power goes through a normally closed switch on T and and normally open switch on Q. You should clean and adjust those to make sure the solenoid power switches aren't the problem.

Finally: the sound card uses coil power for the amplifier (don't quote me on this see pinwiki: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Sound.2FSpeech_Power_Supply_Board_LED.27s , https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#The_Long_and_Winding_Road_of_the_Sound_Signals). so 1 theory is the solenoid power is cutting out and then returning after something cools down. Next time it does it pop the backbox open and test this voltage on the power supply, the coils and the sound board aux power supply.

#7 2 years ago

You said you repinned but didn't do any recrimps. That's only half the job

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Jahkub:

I think I did put new crimps on the power board connectors as that was the only new board I installed. So new board, I accidentally said re-pinned above, I'll edit the post.

The other boards were replaced for a reason. It's likely they put the new boards in, nothing worked and they gave up. The switch connectors J5 & J6 and the interconnect should be done too but the playfield switch connector J6 is a common cause of problems as it's in the battery damage zone

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

That aux power board only supplies power to the sound/speech board so even if its connector was pulled the coils in the game would still work.

This could be used to eliminate this board. Pull the connector and if it still happens then it's not the problem

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-find-the-last-gremlin-in-my-friends-black-hole?tu=Cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.