(Topic ID: 195977)

Help me diagnose this light issue (Fish Tales)

By drsfmd

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fish tales lamp matrix (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I searched the archives, and didn't find anything specifically on this subject. I'll apologize in advance for what's probably a dumb question, but I figure it's better to ask than to do damage to the machine, as I'm a little behind the curve when it comes to board work (as simple as this one may be).

I recently picked up a Fish Tales that needed a bit of work, but has come together nicely... but I'm plagued by one bulb that doesn't work and I want to fix it without screwing anything else up in the process

The "stringer tail #4" light worked briefly after I re-bulbed the machine, but has stopped working. I have done the following:

- Changed the bulb to a known working bulb
- Changed the bulb holder to a new one, after testing the new holder (with the new bulb) in another spot on the same board
- Checked the connection at J133 (pin 5)
- Checked the connection at J137 (pin 3)

Assumption: If the other items on Q96 (stringer tails 1, 2, 3, etc.) are working, and the other items on Q87 (extra ball light, stringer body 4, etc.) are working.... then I can rule out both transistors, correct?

CAN I safely test for voltage by connecting J133 to J137 via my DMM? Or will that cause a short?

If the diode on the board has gone bad, I assume the light would remain off, not on, correct? I'm thinking this is my most likely suspect.

Is there anything else I should be checking?

fish tales lamp matrix (resized).jpgfish tales lamp matrix (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I would pull the light board and reflow, add, solder to the connector. Has worked for me several times on Addams, GI, W?D.
Just adding some solder to those old light board connectors posts and checking the back side for good contact can help. You can also add solder to the half moons at light socket.
Just rebulbing a machine after all these years can jiggle something loose on the light board itself.
Also, make sure the connector wires are fully seated at front and back. Those little tiny posts were wire terminates on connector (cut off) can get loose to.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

solder to the connector.

You mean soldering the tabs on bulb holder to the contact spots on the board?

#4 6 years ago

I don't have fish tales but, is there a diode at the light socket?
It could of gone bad, and leaving a open circuit to that lamp
if the diode is on the light board try using a jumper wire from one side of the diode to the other
to see if it works, if yes replace diode.

#5 6 years ago

looks like the diodes are built on the lamp circuit board underplaying field, also check for cracked solder joints on the male pins.
I've seen quite a few of these cracked joints on playing field boards.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

No. Remove the lamp board and reflow/add solder to each pin where it is soldered into the board

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

No.

Look at this.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Twist_Socket_Lamp_Not_Lighting

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I would pull the light board and reflow, add, solder to the connector. Has worked for me several times on Addams, GI, W?D.

yup yup...reflow that light board baby. I had to do it multiple times on a small DH board to get it to work. Really add some on the half circle pads.

#9 6 years ago

Sorry guys-- had to step out for a meeting.

Yes, the diodes are on the light board itself.

I will check the connecting pins-- they looked good when I gave them an initial look, but I can reflow as necessary. I didn't think to wiggle that connector a bit to see if the light comes on-- I will try that when I get home from work.

#10 6 years ago

So, as I mentioned before, the header pins looked fine, even under magnification. I reflowed them anyway, and that bulb started working again.

Thanks for your input guy.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

So, as I mentioned before, the header pins looked fine, even under magnification. I reflowed them anyway, and that bulb started working again.

Yeah man I don;t usually get the whole visual thing like the long time pros do. For me it's just as simple when I have the board out to reflow the lock pad, and then hit up through holes on the entire thing. Screw it it only takes a couple minutes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

12,500 (OBO)
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 169.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-diagnose-this-light-issue-fish-tales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.