Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by vicjw66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

I've spent countless hours pouring over youtube and reviews of Williams' Indiana Jones and Stern Indiana Jones. I keep looking for one for sale online near me.
I'm getting the general consensus that the Williams seems to be considered the primo machine.
Problem is, I've never played it and I haven't found one within 300 miles of me to play. I'm on the Gulf Coast.
I have found a Stern Indiana Jones to play. I loved it! The arc multi ball was a fun gimmick. The sound was fantastic, the newer DMD looked awesome. The gameplay was fun.
But, the blind man doesn't know colors he's never seen. At one point in my life, I thought Killians was a high end beer. You don't know what you are missing until you do...
My observations from the youtube videos is the sound seems to sound crummy on the Williams, but maybe that's just bad youtube'age I like the .38 pistol ball launcher. That's fun. I guess I'm not an experienced enough pinball master to look at the playfield of the williams machine via a youtube video and say, "Yeah, that's a great design"
I can come up with $6000 or so to get the machine to my door.
Heck, I might even be able to convince the operator of this Stern machine near me, to sell this machine to me. If not, I see myself buying one within the next 30 days. I found a store with a Stern Indy for $5900 in primo condition and a Williams Indy for $6900 in good condition.
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the stern, because it's what I know...
I'd classify myself as a Indiana Jones / Star Wars fanatic with a love of pinball, not the other way around, if that helps. I've played 200 games on my Data East Star Wars this month alone. I just don't get tired of it because of the Star Wars ness...
Will the Stern Indy be the same, ya think?

I think $5900 is at least $2000 too much for Stern Indy. One was just on my local CL last week for $3500, and may still be there (SF Bay Area). Even at that price I did not contact the seller because the WMS version is definitely the Indy to get. With some patience you should be able to get a clean one in the $5-$6k range.

#52 10 years ago

Stern IJ4 is a $2000 game folks. It sucks. It is only worth that much because so few were made. There are so many games to be had for $2000 or under that wipe the floor with this turd. $5900? You gots to be smokin' crack, son!

#53 10 years ago

I worked on IJ4, and I'd be hard-pressed to make the effort to pick up a free one.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Stern IJ4 is a $2000 game folks. It sucks. It is only worth that much because so few were made.

I'm skeptical of this supposed "low number" of Indys...I think there are more than the numbers being thrown out there. Even though it's a shitty game, it's a good license & it's easy enough to figure out that I imagine it would do relatively well on route.

#55 10 years ago

Keefer,
It doesn't surprise me that we have a similar opinion of IJ4 seeing as how my favorite two Sterns are LOTR and TSPP. I bought WOZLE strictly because I knew that you were on board. I await your future code updates. No pressure...... LOL

#56 10 years ago

Numbers really don't mean anything in the pinball world. There are lots of low run games out there that still don't command any value, and tons of overrun games that get big money. Pinball doesn't work like cars in the collectors world. Never has. IT's all about how fun it is, and how many people want it. If it's a game nobody ever gets to play or see, nobody wants it, because they don't know about it.

Only time it's an exception if it's a game where there are less than 20 made.

in the case of IJ. even if there was only 500 made. Try and find 500 people that actually want to buy and own one.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I worked on IJ4, and I'd be hard-pressed to make the effort to pick up a free one.

I guess this pretty much summarizes the majority of the sentiment of IJ4.

QSS

#58 10 years ago

IJ4 is not as bad as most people describe it... but I would never, ever pay $5k+ for that pin ! (otherwise my WPT will be 10k by Christmas!!)
There are better choices...

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

This is a great post. +1

2 weeks later
#60 10 years ago

Not to start a riot or to intentionally revive the thread but in the spirit of completeness...

We bought a Stern IJ4. We love it.

I can see some of the points mentioned here about long term playability and some silliness in the playfield design, such as the balls that make up the Temple of Doom target / lift scoop thing.

That being said, it's getting plenty of play and friends playing it are liking it alot. The theming is great, the sound is great. There is a bug in the "simulated knocker" that makes it screach sound at full volume on coin advance times (regardless of game volume level). Setting the knocker volume to 'none' solved that.

I'm not sorry in our choice at all.

I'm sure once we get some of my friends' two arcade machines out of the room, we'll be on the lookout of a Williams IJ too. STTNG first, though.

#61 10 years ago

ij4 is bottom of the barrel for stern but i like it. I can see owning it when you exhaust some of their other titles.

I think ij is a still a sloppy mess. have no idea why people like it. can't believe the $ people are willing to spend on it. it's puzzling. up there with sttng. another boat anchor.

#62 10 years ago

I recently bought a Stern Indiana Jones and am thoroughly enjoying it--granted I'm not a long time pinball connoisseur like most of the folks here on Pinside. In fact, a friend and his wife came over this week and played it and they enjoyed it too (and he owns Tron LE). I like the sounds, the video, the magnet feature, and the multi-ball.

Buy what you like and what you can afford. If you get tired of it, sell it or trade it and get something different. For now, I'm keeping my IJ by Stern.

5 months later
#63 10 years ago

I have owned both and preferred the Stern, I thought Tron was terrible yet most pinsiders want to have sex with it so to each his own. The great thing about Indy is it's perfect for a game every once and a while, with some degree of hope at reaching the final adv. I had MM for around a year and while it's packed with stuff to do it got very boring especially after you complete wizard mode, felt like no point in playing it anymore. I can see why IJ4 isn't for everyone but it's not the train wreck it's made out to be in fact to me it's amazing, the sound and movie clips and it's beautiful to look at. If you have a large collection it's great. LATER

3 years later
#64 6 years ago

just get both. problem solved.

#65 6 years ago

I find the WMS one to be dreadfully boring. I've owned 2 of them and yes, they were super nice and dialed in.
The Stern one isn't much better, but it is a little more enjoyable to me.

#66 6 years ago

I hope the OP has already made a decision given this is a 3+ year old thread that has, for unknown reasons, risen from its grave

#67 6 years ago

Zombie IJ..... It lives.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

just get both. problem solved.

Hopefully this problem was solved 3 years ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
$ 29.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,419.00
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

14,000 (OBO)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-decide-williams-vs-stern-indiana-jones/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.