New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 197944)

Help me decide next pinball for 5 pin collection!

By cscmtp

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PtownPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1214 (resized).PNG
Untitled (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

So we currently have 4 pins in our collection (Met Prem, STLE, WOZLE, and GB Prem) We have room for 1 more and have money saved up to get a 5th. I am having a hard time deciding what to get next. I'd like to think I'm at least an average (if not above average) player, as I tend to usually complete the wizard modes in most every pin I've ever owned (SM, IM, X-Men, LOTR, etc.) I tend to like harder games more than really easy ones, and deeper games seem to have more staying power than shallow ones (for example loved TOM and Hobbit when we first got them, but in a very short amount of time got bored with both, did all there was to do in each game)

Just curious what most would do for a 5th game that isn't TOO similar to what is already in our small collection and based on preferences stated above. A few we've thought about are:

Kiss (have a pretty local LE I could buy)
Dialed In (haven't played it but do enjoy our WOZLE, although got very tired of Hobbit and sold it)
SW (love the theme, but man the hate on these threads scared us a bit)
MB (love the theme but maybe wait until the remake assuming its next? Would it be too easy?)
Aerosmith
JJP #4 (assuming its Pirates or Toy Story)
Next Stern???

Although I know TWD gets a ton of love around here, I don't like the theme and have little ones, so that's not a good match for us.

Would appreciate any thoughts and opinions here. Thanks!!!

#3 3 years ago

Somebody linked Street Fighter II, which might be a good choice.

#5 3 years ago

TWD may be a good game for you based off your current list of games and desired depth and skill level. It's an easy game to understand the basics but the depth of the rules can create a lot of different strategies. Beating the game,while not impossible, should take you a little while unless you keep the outlanes closed.

We seem to have fairly similar taste based off the games you own/owned and your skill level and game desires. I personally LOVE my GOTLE. It's so simple and yet the strategies to tackle the game keeps me coming back. I can attack the game in a dozen different ways and it's fun to still see which one is the "better" path. Every time I think I've found it I find something else to try.

#6 3 years ago

If money was no option Dialed In all the way. Otherwise TWD sounds like it's right up your alley!

#7 3 years ago

For those of you suggesting TWD, you obviously didn't read his whole post

#8 3 years ago

Yeah with little ones don't care for the zombie theme, plus, I know freak out, but I've never watched a minute of that show or GOT. TSPP I've owned twice in the past so want something new.

#10 3 years ago

TNA for sure...modern take on old simple to learn, hard to master rule set!

#12 3 years ago

Surprised that nobody included Houdini ... It's coming soon and would round out your collection!

#13 3 years ago

You need a Williams/Bally 90s game. MB all the way!

#14 3 years ago

Watch the deadflip video on TNA. You will be hooked.

#15 3 years ago

images (resized).jpg

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Haha forgot my sarcasm tag sorry! Also, my next game is gonna be TNA, bummer I won't get it until 2018.

#17 3 years ago

I would say DI, AFM, Tron, or ACDC.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

OPS.... Unfortunate though as that meets all his rules and skills desires but it's also why I don't have the game in my collection.

Untitled (resized).jpg

#19 3 years ago

Williams IJ

#20 3 years ago

Hobbit. They are relatively cheap right now. A lot to do. Deep code. The kids will love it.

#21 3 years ago

Another vote for TNA here. You've got plenty of depth in your collection. Get something fast and fun that doesn't take 20-30 minutes on a good game. You might just find an SS-style game like TNA could scratch an itch you didn't realize you may have. I plan on making TNA my first new-in-box purchase. Of course, if you look at my collection i have mostly early 80's solid-state era games (mainly due to lack of $), but in the long run i think my collection has taught me that I'm more interested in fast, furious gameplay more than stories/modes that can sometimes get stale after a while.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that TNA is looking to be freakin' awesome... Custom sound system, awesome light show, terrific multi-player appeal (the lack of long ball times keeps things moving, plus lock-stealing is back! ) and for as sparse as the playfield may appear (which i personally find appealling, but I'm probably in the minority), they recently posted pics of what the under-playfield looks like and that thing is *loaded*. It will also be equipped with quality service rails for easy under-playfield access when needed. To me, this could be a new era for pinball. But I've been sold on that game since i saw it in whitewood form--and I've never even played it yet!

#22 3 years ago

I wouldn't completely rule out "simpler" games. Most people don't want to go on a quest everytime they want to flip. Classic Bally's and Stern's have the most replayability for me. It just takes an initial thought alteration to get in the mind set for these older games and you will soon find out they are more addictive than smack and cheaper too! I suggest a little diversity. If you really want NIB, check out TNA. It plays like an amped up Bally and your collection could use something like that. Happy Hunting!

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Hobbit. They are relatively cheap right now. A lot to do. Deep code. The kids will love it.

As per the OP He sold a Hobbit.

Since you have 4 pins I say wait and see the new games coming out...

#24 3 years ago

Go with an F-14 and save some cash to do a remodel to make room for more pins.

#25 3 years ago

Bally, El Toro!

#26 3 years ago

Dialed In would be my suggestion. Lot's of different things to do and family friendly. DI is not at all like the previous JJP pins. I find it like an old Lawlor pin on Steriods.

#27 3 years ago

I should mention old pins I've had are Hobbit, WH20, TSPP, ACDC, X-Men, Avengers, IM, SM, TOM, MM, LOTR, GNR, FGY, RBION, DH, SP, EATPM, Maverick.

So far several suggestions for Dialed In, TNA (is there any video that has updated artwork, I've just seen the whiteboard with lights so far), AFM (won't that feel a lot like MM or is it different enough?)

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So we currently have 4 pins in our collection (Met Prem, STLE, WOZLE, and GB Prem) <snip> I tend to like harder games more than really easy ones, and deeper games seem to have more staying power than shallow ones <snip> Just curious what most would do for a 5th game that isn't TOO similar to what is already in our small collection

Quoted from cscmtp:

I have Kiss. I like it a lot but you already have a music pin in your collection so it breaks your "too similar" rule for me. This wouldn't be my pick here.

Quoted from cscmtp:

Dialed In (haven't played it but do enjoy our WOZLE, although got very tired of Hobbit and sold it)

I've only played this a handful of times but enjoyed it a LOT. If I had room for one, I'd be buying an LE. It's different than anything you have (all your games are licensed themes), it's more than likely a deeper game than most, and it's a JJP game so it's well-built. I love my WOZECLE and hated Hobbit so we probably have similar tastes.

Quoted from cscmtp:

BIG pass. Fun to play but I personally wouldn't buy one. Too much video, not enough pinball.

Quoted from cscmtp:

MB (love the theme but maybe wait until the remake assuming its next? Would it be too easy?)

I've owned 2 MB in the past (one was my first NIB purchase), but have sold it each time. Why? Too shallow. Love the theme though.

Again, another music pin and you asked for something different. This game is surprisingly fun to play though and I'll probably add one at some point. But in a small collection, especially one that already has a music pin, I'd pass.

Quoted from cscmtp:

I'd wait and see what the theme and playfield look like before I would make any decision.

Until Elvira 3, I'm not interested!

Quoted from cscmtp:

AFM (won't that feel a lot like MM or is it different enough?)

Too similar to AFM. (I do own both)

Others have mentioned TNA but I don't feel that would meet your depth criteria based on what I've seen. I've never played TNA, but it does look like fun. But if you've already had an adrenaline game like IM, you may bore of TNA.

So my pick goes to Dialed In with the caveat of waiting on the announcement of JJP#4 if it happens at Expo.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So far several suggestions for Dialed In, TNA (is there any video that has updated artwork, I've just seen the whiteboard with lights so far), AFM (won't that feel a lot like MM or is it different enough?)

Skip to about the halway point past Jetsons to get to TNA video.

#30 3 years ago

I'd maybe wait for guardians of the galaxy, I'm hoping stern hits a home run with that one.

#31 3 years ago

I feel like you need to add a "classic" and find a kickass Whirlwind (kids will LOVE the fan) or something "exotic" like Banzai Run.

#32 3 years ago

You have a pretty good mix of modern speed and shooter games... maybe something a little more classic, like a Space Shuttle, Black Knight or Fathom?

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I'd maybe wait for guardians of the galaxy, I'm hoping stern hits a home run with that one.

Me too but was hoping for the same with SW

#34 3 years ago

When in doubt:

IMG_1214 (resized).PNG

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Me too but was hoping for the same with SW

Yea, I hear ya. Star wars was a massive disappointment to me, probably the most disappointed I've ever been. Never crossed my mind for even a second to buy that one. I wouldn't lose hope though. Stern might just surprise us all with a great guardians pin. Fingers crossed.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I feel like you need to add a "classic" and find a kickass Whirlwind (kids will LOVE the fan) or something "exotic" like Banzai Run.

I agree with this. It's time to go in a different direction. You have some great games already. Time for a rotating classic spot. They are less expensive, and they can be wonderful games. The 70s had some awesome games. Bring in an old Bally. Play it for 4 months, push it out the door and bring in an old Stern game. Always something fresh to play. As long as you buy carefully you will sell it for what you bought it for. Repairs are more straightforward and parts are always available. Go get some. You don't need another rules monster, you just need good old fashioned fun.

#37 3 years ago

I keep saying that TNA looks like the perfect game to round out a lot of collections and yours looks like a good candidate. Mine too.

#38 3 years ago

What about Transformers LE ?
It has deep code, you can get one for a good price, and it's readily available. If you are completing games like LOTR, I think you will find getting to the "Battle for Cybertron" wizard mode challenging enough.

#39 3 years ago

I played one game of TNA at Southern Fried and walked over and put my name on the list. One of the most fun times I've ever had playing pinball. I'm currently in with my deposit at #107 if I remember correctly.

Game is amazing and hard. Furiously fast. Amazing sound that gets your blood pumping. Great multiplayer game which could work well with your campground. Feel free to come visit me hopefully later this year or early 2018 to check it out.

Darin

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I played one game of TNA at Southern Fried and walked over and put my name on the list. One of the most fun times I've ever had playing pinball. I'm currently in with my deposit at #107 if I remember correctly.
Game is amazing and hard. Furiously fast. Amazing sound that gets your blood pumping. Great multiplayer game which could work well with your campground. Feel free to come visit me hopefully later this year or early 2018 to check it out.
Darin

I am curious about this pin, How much is it? And I'll be honest, I didn't have a great 1st reaction to watching a video, but I also know that can't replace playing it, which is awesome that you have. Thanks Darin, I may very well take you up on that!

#41 3 years ago

TNA is $5999, I believe?

#42 3 years ago

Yes, plus shipping.

#43 3 years ago

And, BTW, I'm waiting on my Dialed In which is part of a trade I have with Buddy. So, by later this year it is possible I have both TNA and DI which you could get some time on.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I wouldn't completely rule out "simpler" games.

I'll second this. To me a well rounded collection needs both simple and deep games. It's almost counter intuitive, but I'm finding that simple games have the most replay value. A good analogy might be PacMan versus Final Fantasy. Playing an RPG is a whole lot of fun, but rarely do I get to the end and want to start over. I've had the experience, it was fun, but now I don't want to commit the hours it's going to take to play it again. In contrast, a simple game like PacMan I can keep hitting start over and over.

PS: I wonder if games could ever be designed with an arcade and story mode. Probably not, because too much would have to change with the physical layout. Maybe that could be done with diverts or raising pop bumpers; but it wouldn't be easy. The arcade mode would have to reward more dangerous shots.

#45 3 years ago

You have a great line up. But let's not forget what great games you had in the past as well. This was tough for me as well. It was very hard to find pin #10 You seem to like the new stuff as do I. You seem to care about your family and what they should be exposed too as do I. Lets look at this differently. This is not and will not be your last pin. This will be pin #5. The new games that are rumoured to be coming out are going to be incredible themes and if the designers have listened to all of us voice our opinions then they should be loaded with cool features. My suggestion to you is buy what makes you happy and buy something you will not lose much money on when you sell. It is inevitable that 1 of your 5 will be sold to accommodate these future titles. This is a list of games perhaps you should cinsider.

Dialed in
Star Wars
AFMRLE

Buying any of these games you are sure not to loose a ton. All of these games are very fun to play and appeal to a mass market. Remember the most valuable thing to a Pinball collector is space.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So we currently have 4 pins in our collection (Met Prem, STLE, WOZLE, and GB Prem) We have room for 1 more and have money saved up to get a 5th. I am having a hard time deciding what to get next. I'd like to think I'm at least an average (if not above average) player, as I tend to usually complete the wizard modes in most every pin I've ever owned (SM, IM, X-Men, LOTR, etc.) I tend to like harder games more than really easy ones, and deeper games seem to have more staying power than shallow ones (for example loved TOM and Hobbit when we first got them, but in a very short amount of time got bored with both, did all there was to do in each game)
Just curious what most would do for a 5th game that isn't TOO similar to what is already in our small collection and based on preferences stated above. A few we've thought about are:
Aerosmith
Next Stern???
Although I know TWD gets a ton of love around here, I don't like the theme and have little ones, so that's not a good match for us.
Would appreciate any thoughts and opinions here. Thanks!!!

I really think Dialed In fits your bill the best. I think it's an amazing game and very deep with lots to do. Only drawback on this one is price.

TNA: hmmmm....I don't think a single person who voted for this pin read your post. It's more shallow and ball busting than IM. If you want last ability and deep with lots to do, stay clear of this one. If you want a multiplayer game, this is it!

Aerosmith: needs updates. Code is shallow. I'm concerned about last ability long term in its current code set. Still, a very fun pin.

KISS: no comment from me, theme kills it.

Dialed In: this is your breadwinner horse if you want to sport the heavy price tag.

Edit: one other negative for Dialed In is it might be too easy out of the box. You'll have to tweak setup, settings, and gameplay to fit your bill.

#47 3 years ago

I'd go with Aerosmith. It's fun as hell and fairly easy for just about anyone and it's also a good challenge for good players as well. It also does in fact have lasting power. The game is just awesome on every level.

#48 3 years ago

I'd mix it up and get really any Bally Pin from the 90's. Your kids will love Fishtales.

#49 3 years ago

NO!
you didn't say please ( ha ha )

#50 3 years ago

IJ or BSD

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 249.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 42.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 269.00
$ 137.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside